cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

The 5 coolest cars named after animals, according to the Hagerty Community

For something that is largely arbitrary, car names are considered sacred by automotive faithful. Should an OEM revive a nameplate and not live up to consumer expectations set by the model's previous generation, the critics will be vocal (you can keep your modern GTO comments to yourself.) However, before a nameplate can be revived it must be born. The conference rooms of automakers surely still have coffee spill stains and pizza grease in the floorboards from late-night brainstorming sessions choosing the perfect name for a new model. More than occasionally, an animal provided inspiration for a car that would, once realized, be beautifully photographed for brochures and enjoyed by drivers on the road.

With so many cars that share names with animals, we were curious which were the coolest of the group, so we asked the Hagerty Community to help us decide. We plucked the top five answers from the ensuing discussion.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/the-5-coolest-cars-named-after-animals-according-to-...

266 REPLIES 266
exegesis
Pit Crew

"Fish are not animals"! what are they then?

Rock-itMan
Passenger

Studebaker Hawk.

Rock-itMan
Passenger

Studebaker Hawk.

Ronniewhite
Passenger

Road runner 

oldslfan
Passenger

Mako Shark?

Michael-42-1962
New Driver

With all due respect sir you are wrong about the "Barracuda!"  The Barracuda is the most stream lined, fastest and meanest fish in the sea! Meaner than any Shark (you could have mentioned the Mako Shark for Corvette too?)  Divers fear the Barracuda more than any other fish in the sea...!  In short, one could some up the reason for using the Barracuda for the Plymouth, in one word my... "Attitude," my friend, "Attitude..!"

Moparman1
Passenger

I thought the Dodge Viper could have been on the list too. 

TrentSteeves
Hagerty Employee

The Puma's are pretty cool! 

RedlineGuy
New Driver

What no Pantera? No Mustang? No Jaguar?! Any and all of them are more stylish than the Cougar and Impala as well as performance! And the Cheetah wasn't even really a production car so it seems that it shouldn't be a part of the list. But seriously, has the pandemic affected people this badly! Lol

AlvisTD21
Passenger

I will keep this one British car related.  Triumph Stag and Singer Gazelle

trad
Passenger

Where's the MUSTANG?????

chillbill
Passenger

How about Ford Bronco or Buick Skylark

NYNSMotormouth
Passenger

Het let's not forget about the Road Runner BEEP BEEP!

xr7ator
Navigator

Oh, I dont know...  How 'bout MUSTANG

Abingdon0251
New Driver

With rare exception, every Lamborgini model beginning with the Miura has been named after a breed of bull.

partia39
Passenger

Cars named after animals can never be complete, if you leave out The luxurious Jaguar. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

Does a Gremlin count as an animal?

Yes, but don't put oil in it after midnight.