cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

The 5 coolest cars named after animals, according to the Hagerty Community

For something that is largely arbitrary, car names are considered sacred by automotive faithful. Should an OEM revive a nameplate and not live up to consumer expectations set by the model's previous generation, the critics will be vocal (you can keep your modern GTO comments to yourself.) However, before a nameplate can be revived it must be born. The conference rooms of automakers surely still have coffee spill stains and pizza grease in the floorboards from late-night brainstorming sessions choosing the perfect name for a new model. More than occasionally, an animal provided inspiration for a car that would, once realized, be beautifully photographed for brochures and enjoyed by drivers on the road.

With so many cars that share names with animals, we were curious which were the coolest of the group, so we asked the Hagerty Community to help us decide. We plucked the top five answers from the ensuing discussion.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/the-5-coolest-cars-named-after-animals-according-to-...

266 REPLIES 266
Dpbuilder
Passenger

What about Jeep Golden Eagle 

TriguyT110
Passenger

How could you overlook “Jaguar”?

artwisc
Pit Crew

Hudson Hornet? Triumph Stag? 

sarge
Passenger

Buick;s Wildcat .

artwisc
Pit Crew

Wolsely Viper and Hornet, Stutz Bearcat, Reliant Robin and Kitten, Alvis Firefly, Humber Snipe,  

SonicWeaver
Passenger

Mustang, Viper & Pinto (lol)

topcatscott
Passenger

Sunbeam Tiger?  I guess the word animal is loosely defined, since you list fish......

tommykat1
Pit Crew

What, no Mustang? It's likely number 1. Cheetah? Gimme a break. This article can't be taken seriously...

And, of course, let's round up all the Jaguars and relegate them to a zoo. After all, it's not a manufacturer we're identifying. It's the name of a car.  

Even the Ford Pinto deserves a place here. 

tommykat1
Pit Crew

And the Dodge Viper somehow doesn't make this list?

Jagman
Passenger

Amazing: My first car was a ‘59 Lark, then a ‘65 Fury (a horse!), then a ‘67 Barracuda. I now have a ‘55 Jaguar Mk VIIM (best of the bunch!).

irphil
Pit Crew

irphil
Pit Crew

Old Yaller.  The series of scratch built cars named after an ugly old hound!

Built by Max Balchowsky and a race fan favorite.

Manshar456
Passenger

Why not talk about Plymouth Prowler 

dooscoop32
Intermediate Driver

The Dodge Viper!

Joivalfesa
New Driver

If there is no place for the Mustang because of the T5 plane, what about the Bronco. And talking back about the Mustang, I have read in the history of the car about where did they take the name of the car from, even in Germany where the car was named Ford T5 for the same reason, the plane, but always on tv ads, magazines, or where ever is an advertisement of the Mustang, the image that identifies the car is the horse, not the plane. The first tv ad started with the running mustangs not the plane!!!

Hotroddaddy
Passenger

How about a Marlin or a Javelin? 

exegesis
Pit Crew

Javelins are not animals, they're throwing spears. There are Javalinas - but they're as ugly as sin. They are peccaries

drmdlucas
Passenger

Did I miss a memo?  What about the Mustang?

LeeB
Passenger

Super Bee?

LeeB
Passenger

Roadrunner?

Justgivemeone1
Passenger

Don’t forget The Bronco💙💙

Mali
Passenger

1965 396 Malibu SS

wyoscotto
Navigator

Always thought Mangusta was the coolest name and car. Mustang actually was named for the horse just like the P-51, and with Cougar, Bronco, Pinto, Maverick and more I can't recall, Ford seems to have the most animal car names save maybe Lambo! 

5xpapa
New Driver

AMC-Eagle Hudson-Hornet-Wasp Studebaker-Lark-GoldenHawk-SilverHawk Stutz-Bearcat-Pontiac-Firebird Audi-Fox Mercury-Bobcat Ford-Pinto-Falcon-Bronco Dodge-Ram Corvette-Stingray

KrumnauerC
Passenger

How about the Plymouth Road Runner!!!   Named after a cartoon, but based on an actual bird!

Rustbeater
Passenger

Ford Mustang, Pontiac Firebird, and Dodge Viper come to mind, and they are cool cars.  Nick in Illinois

Laguna30
New Driver

In a word

VIPER

keithmorg
Navigator

Uh, did someone forget the Mustang? You do know that is an animal right? It's a wild horse. THAT SHOULD BE NUMBER ONE IN THIS LIST. How many years was it produced?

keithmorg
Navigator

Mustang?  Mustang?  Mustang? It's a wild horse. It is an animal. It is one of the most iconic American cars ever made. Who is the ignoramus that decided a GT Cheetah, never mass produced and not available to the public beat out the Mustang?

j_roessler
New Driver

I vote for the Dodge Viper.....no further justification is necessary!!!

Taz
Passenger

What the heck!?!  How could you not select 68/69 Plymouth Roadrunner

TonyT
Instructor

As long as we are being pedantic, every horse I've ever been around has an extreme dislike of snakes, to the point of stomping them out. So a Mustang Cobra emblem should have been a horse with fangs or a snake with legs. Hmmm.

HDC01751825
New Driver

Hudson Hornet? Oh wait, that’s an insect, not an animal. ☺️

HDC01751825
New Driver

Hudson Hornet? Oh wait, that’s an insect, not an animal.

Rider79
Instructor

Insects ARE members of the animal kingdom; they certainly are not plants, right?

Rider79
Instructor

My wife pointed out that the Rabbit was not included.  While it may not be among the five coolest (my pick there is the Cougar), the Rabbit GTI was a pretty quick and cool econobox, for its era.

roadio55
Intermediate Driver

Insects, birds and reptiles are all members of the animal kingdom.

Even if the Mustang was named after the plane it still carries the name of a horse. 

Minx is not an animal but Manx (Meyers) is.

No one mentioned the Packard Panther but I'm glad I'm not the only one to remember the Singer Gazelle.

John2
Passenger

Where is the Jaguar?

35Ford65Mustang
Passenger

REGARDLESS of the MUSTANG originally being named after a Plane, it is THE MOST POPULAR ANIMAL NAME ON THE ROAD TODAY!  and they all have HORSES ON THEM!

BobV
Pit Crew

I think all the comments here covered all car names that are even remotely associated with animals and some are a real stretch.  However, a couple of years ago I compiled a list of cars named after aircraft and I came up with 74 of them.  And, yes one of them is Mustang.  If anybody at Hagerty is interested let me know and I can email it to you.

68HILLBILLY
Passenger

Volkswagon rabbit

67Jag
Passenger

JAGUAR???  (as in XKE)

65Continental
Passenger

The De Thomaso Mangusta deserves honorable mention...

Joecolli
New Driver

Jaguar, any Jaguar

exegesis
Pit Crew

What! Like the Mark X;  the XJ6; the X Type; the XJS............I could go on.

sarge
Passenger

Buick Wildcat!

Bill
Detailer

Nothing cool about the Cheetah, it was so fragile I doubt it ever finished a race. Thats what happens when Chevy tries to follow Ford lol.

67Hotrod
Passenger

I agree No Mustang? And the there is the Road Runner. Both much more iconic than the Cheetah 

TwinH
Passenger

Hudson Hornet!

GreaseMonkey
Passenger

Fish are not animals   Why not a Roadrunner  or an Eagle then