cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

The 5 coolest cars named after animals, according to the Hagerty Community

For something that is largely arbitrary, car names are considered sacred by automotive faithful. Should an OEM revive a nameplate and not live up to consumer expectations set by the model's previous generation, the critics will be vocal (you can keep your modern GTO comments to yourself.) However, before a nameplate can be revived it must be born. The conference rooms of automakers surely still have coffee spill stains and pizza grease in the floorboards from late-night brainstorming sessions choosing the perfect name for a new model. More than occasionally, an animal provided inspiration for a car that would, once realized, be beautifully photographed for brochures and enjoyed by drivers on the road.

With so many cars that share names with animals, we were curious which were the coolest of the group, so we asked the Hagerty Community to help us decide. We plucked the top five answers from the ensuing discussion.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/the-5-coolest-cars-named-after-animals-according-to-...

266 REPLIES 266
exegesis
Pit Crew

Frankly, I'm lost for words. 

richreed701
Pit Crew

Granted, "Mustang" is a breed, or maybe sub-breed, of horse, but I think any list of cars named after critters should include the 'Stang.  But, that would open the door to Bronco, Pinto, and Santa Maria.  Wait.....wrong list.  And, while not really a car, who can forget Greyhound?

Insight3
Passenger

Mercury Bobcat, Ford Falcon

ToniFHarder
Pit Crew

Tiger (Sunbeam), Viper, Roadrunner (a desert bird), Ginetta, Stingray...

GoManVanGogh
Passenger

No Stutz Bearcat? Buick Wildcat? De Tomaso Mangusta? 

Stephensantin80
New Driver

How about “Stingray “. 

Stephensantin80
New Driver

How about “Stingray “. 

DrSteve
Passenger

The story I have heard for years in regard to the Impala is that one of the GM Execs attended the Church of the Nazarene in Detroit in the 1950s. I believe the executive was on the denominational board in Kansas City. At a meeting of the board one of the Nazarene leaders said he had just returned from a trip to Africa and had seen this incredibly fast animal called the Impala. The GM Exec told him they were coming out with a new model and that would be a good name for it.

Nuvolari
Passenger

Where's the Rabbit GTI?

edeanbutler
New Driver

The Pantera was one of the coolest of all! Don't forget the Pantera (De Tomaso).

Studey4ever
New Driver

Studebaker Lark, Studebaker Hawk.  Buick Wildcat, Singer Gazelle, Humber Super Snipe, Jaguar (nothing more needs to be added), Dodge Viper.

WESUDALE
Pit Crew

a Mustang isn't a horse?

WESUDALE
Pit Crew

A Mustang isn't a horse?

fbwilliams69
New Driver

A horse is a horse of course of course
And no one can talk to a horse of course.
That is of course unless the horse
Is the famous Mister Ed!

StrayCat70
Passenger

Cougar generation one was '67-'68, gen two was '69-'70, gen three '71-'73.

fjwhoutx
Navigator

AMC Marlin, Jaguar, Volkswagen Beetle, Studebaker Lark, Dodge Viper, Plymouth Colt, Plymouth Roadrunner, etc.

Daddy0
Navigator

Why no Mustang?  Because they are more common and were during my day as a 69 Cougar owner.  These are only 5of them people, and the Cheetah was rare and cool!  The 65 Barracuda was unique and my druthers over a stock 65 Mustang.  These cars are listed also, "With so many cars that share names with animals, we were curious which were the coolest of the group, so we asked the Hagerty Community to help us decide. We plucked the top five answers from the ensuing discussion."

Daddy0
Navigator

Thanks!  Appreciated the rare and coolest Cheetah!  I only had the slot car.   Why no Mustang?  Because they are common and also were during my day as a 69 Cougar owner.  These are only 5 of the animal cars people and there are literally hundreds.  The 65 Barracuda was unique and my druthers over a stock 65 Mustang.  The other reason  cars were listed; "With so many cars that share names with animals, we were curious which were the coolest of the group, so we asked the Hagerty Community to help us decide. We plucked the top five answers from the ensuing discussion."

There is NEVER a final word on cool cars.

Donald
Navigator

Listed are the Barracuda and the Impala but you have ignored the much more attractive Jaguar XJ-S.

Cowboy-easy
Passenger

My car is not named after an animal, It is named something in the sky. 406-4 speed two door hardtop.

MilesBear
Passenger

What about the Thunderbird or T-Bird?

stooky
Passenger

The Jaguar (jag-you-are) is one of the few cars whose swoopy icon actually resembles the flowing, ready-to-pounce lines of the car.  A must have!

Frozen-bird
Passenger

Stingray was a pretty cool car, just sayin.........

MilesBear
Passenger

Even though the P-51 "Mustang" may have been the fighter plane and inspiration, the car has a Mustang pony on the grille, hence the name "pony cars".

Figuero
Intermediate Driver

A lot of folks are missing the question.  What is the coolest CAR named after an animal? Not the coolest ANIMAL NAME that a car was named after.  Pinto, really?

There are tons of cars way cooler than an Impala, but an Impala is a pretty cool animal name.  As for which is faster, I'd love to see the car catch the animal in an open field.

My list - Bearcat, Cobra, Mustang, Stingray, Viper

Out of Bounds:

Jaguar.  It is a company name.  Jaguar never produced a car named Jaguar. 

Spider.  The coolest cars are spiders, but I'm not aware of anyone naming a car Spider. 

daversa1
New Driver

The Chevy Corvair  had a Spyder model

jdreeves
Pit Crew

Fiat 124 Spyder

exegesis
Pit Crew

Jaguar was a model name but that was when the company was Swallow Sidecars, as in SS Jaguar.

TedJr
Navigator

Really! No Sunbeam Tiger ???

tberg
Pit Crew

How about any Jaguar and the Detomaso Mangusta and Pantera?

TheFrog
Passenger

Detomaso Pantera and Mangusta! 

1autofreak
Passenger

Mustang may be named after the fighter plane but still should be on the list since the emblem on the car and logo is not a plane it's a horse. How about the Sunbeam Tiger?

TomRoden
Passenger

Studebaker Hawk

jdreeves
Pit Crew

Studebaker Golden Hawk

HemiCuda
Passenger

What about the Super "Bee" or Super "Bird" or as another posted, the Jaguar, or Beetle?

olejoe
New Driver

Well the Camaro comes to mind.

olejoe
New Driver

But it's not an animal with feet.

exegesis
Pit Crew

Camaro is not an animal, and it's not a living entity, and an animal doesn't have to have legs to be an animal.

olejoe
New Driver

Well the Camaro comes to mine.

exegesis
Pit Crew

Does the Camaro fly, or does it swim? Two legs or four? None or six?

Sir-Ian
Passenger

INMHO There are several Jaguar automobiles that I would consider rather outstanding in the world of automotive achievements.

DHwheels
Passenger

The Mangusta is the coolest car ever named after an animal. The Cheetah is second. 

Logan-Dayman
Passenger

the list is below of all the Cars 

But I feel your list is wrong as you said Animals or is this a trick to see who reads theses.

Some are Aquatic and some are reptiles Barracuda is a fish and Cobra is a snake

We feel you should of had in your list A Road Runner very cool car and a Mustang.

Barracuda (Plymouth) fish
Beetle (Volkswagen) insect
Bison (Chevrolet)
Blackhawk (Stutz)
Bluebird (Datsun)
Bobcat (Mercury)
Bronco (Ford)
Cavelier (Chevrolet)
Charger (Dodge)
Cheetah (Chevrolet)
Cobra (Shelby, Ford) reptile
Colt (Mitsubishi)
Cougar (Mercury)
Eagle (AMC)
Firebird (Pontiac)
Fox (Audi, Volkswagen)
Gazelle (Singer)
Honey Bee (Datsun) insect
Hornet (Hudson, AMC) insect
Impala (Chevrolet)
Jaguar
Lark (Studebaker)

Marlin (AMC)
Mustang (Ford)
Pinto (Ford)
Puma (Ford)
Rabbit (Volkswagen)
Ram (Dodge)
Raptor (Ford) Dinosaur
Road Runner (Plymouth)
Robin (Reliant)
Sable (Mercury)
Scorpian (Grinnall) insect
Skylark (Buick)
Spider (Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Ferrari, Fiat) insect
Stag (Triumph)
Stingray (Chevrolet Corvette) Aquatic
Sunbird (Pontiac)
Super Bee (Dodge) insect
Thunderbird (Ford)
Tiger (Sunbeam)
Viper (Dodge) reptile
Wasp (Hudson) insect
White Eagle (Kissel)
Wildcat (Buick)

exegesis
Pit Crew

It appears that some contributors believe that only mammals are animals, including the above. Strangely though he does not exclude birds which are not.

Captain823
New Driver

What, no AMC Marlin?

Bogartsboss
New Driver

How about Lance Reventlow's Scarabs?

Hal2pay
Passenger

Well, they're not all "animals" per se. One is a fish and one is a reptile. 

And how about the Mustang?

exegesis
Pit Crew

Reptiles and fish ARE animals. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Jap123p
Passenger

There is the jaguar different years that should qualify !!!

cliffrgnj
Passenger

The 'cuda trim actually debuted in the 1969 model year. It was to the Formula S package as the Road Runner was to the GTX on the B Body. Slightly decontented, lower price, fake hood scoops and special striping.