cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

The 5 coolest cars named after animals, according to the Hagerty Community

For something that is largely arbitrary, car names are considered sacred by automotive faithful. Should an OEM revive a nameplate and not live up to consumer expectations set by the model's previous generation, the critics will be vocal (you can keep your modern GTO comments to yourself.) However, before a nameplate can be revived it must be born. The conference rooms of automakers surely still have coffee spill stains and pizza grease in the floorboards from late-night brainstorming sessions choosing the perfect name for a new model. More than occasionally, an animal provided inspiration for a car that would, once realized, be beautifully photographed for brochures and enjoyed by drivers on the road.

With so many cars that share names with animals, we were curious which were the coolest of the group, so we asked the Hagerty Community to help us decide. We plucked the top five answers from the ensuing discussion.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/the-5-coolest-cars-named-after-animals-according-to-...

266 REPLIES 266
HemiCuda
Passenger

Mustang is indeed an animal. 

eighthtry
Intermediate Driver

What was the P-51 named after?

Phil
Passenger

I recall seeing Horses in the  Mustang ads of the sixties, not Airplanes

Nikrnic
New Driver

Nice list, who doesn't love animal names for adding to the cars character. Just to make things clear since YOU mentioned GTO. although not named as an animal GM spent a lot of time and money on pushing the Tiger theme. Not saying it was a flop but it was immediately and always lovingly referred to as The Goat...

fbwilliams69
New Driver

Reckon it depends on what part of the country you were from. Around here out in the sticks, "goats" were Dodges that had a ram hood ornament ( and Plymouths were "Mayflowers"). GTO stood for "get tools out" or "gas, tires, and oil".

4WheelThings
Passenger

Don’t forget early on there was the Stutz Bearcat.

Nikrnic
New Driver

Everyone forgets the Marlin.. I guess for good reason.

snyderrg
Passenger

The Hudson Hornet.  And yes, insects are animals.

Harry
New Driver

And you omitted the Sting Ray and Viper

speedsmiles
New Driver

There is no such wild animal as a thunderbird!  Where did you go to school?  Let me guess the Ford Academy.

Wild-Child-428
Passenger

Let's "Horse" around a bit! Mustangs are still here and running strong at a world class pace... Pony up!!!  (all puns egregiously intentional)

Harry
New Driver

Those are cooler than a Sting Ray and Viper ?

SFM5
Pit Crew

The Cobra and the Cheetah are IMHO!

Bigdaddyolson
Passenger

The Italian designed Triumph Stag by Micholetti 

88vette
Passenger

Anybody remember the Roadrunner?

Fast animal, fast car....beep beep!

gordon
New Driver

Took the words right out of my mouth. Cooler than its reputation in the US would suggest.

JohnGalt
Pit Crew

I own an AMC EAGLE.
Don't forget the Bobcat/Pinto. 

RIMSPOKE
New Driver

SUNBEAM , MESSERSCHMITT AND GOLIATH TIGER ! 
( I HAVE OWNED ALL THREE ) 

renchero63
Pit Crew

No Mustang?

RIMSPOKE
New Driver

JAGUAR NAMED THE WHOLE COMPANY AFTER AN ANIMAL . 

exegesis
Pit Crew

Jaguar was a model originally, made by Swallow Sidecars - hence the SS Jaguar, but the SS got dropped for obvious reasons.

VLAD-MG
Passenger

Where is the jaguar e type? Even Enzo Ferrari once said that it was the most beautiful car ever designed 

mhealy1
Detailer

The list could stretch on forever. Thanks for including the Barracuda, and especially for the picture of the oft-overlooked second-gen fastback. 
Just FYI, the ‘Cuda moniker started in 1969, not 1970. 

knucklebusted
Intermediate Driver

The Buick Skylark was the basis for the GS and GSX muscle cars. When equipped with the Stage 1 455, they were the fastest car tested by Muscle Car Review with a backseat, coming in third behind the 427 Cobra and 427 Corvette.

PerfectTommy
New Driver

Don't forget the Hudson Hornet and Wasp.

Bettyemae
Intermediate Driver

Or the Hudson Terrapin! Oh, wait...

WillieG12
Pit Crew

I had a 1973 AMC Hornet X hatchback. 155k, 25k of which was pulling an RV trailer. Outstanding car. Sold it when I had to because I went off to school.  

daversa1
New Driver

Hornets and Wasps are insects not animals

ne14golf
Navigator

No Mustang? How can any list of cars named after animals not include the Mustang?

WillieG12
Pit Crew

The Mustang was/is not named after the horse, but rather the fighter plane used in WWII by US Army Air.

SFM5
Pit Crew

And the plane was named after the horse, and there are emblems of a horse on the car (still looking for the emblem of the plane)!

Ron1
Passenger

Named for a fighter plane, hence the running horse logo. Makes sense to me. 

daversa1
New Driver

Pony car.  Running horse logo.  Have yet to see a fighter plane logo on a Mustang. It must be on the engine block.

richreed701
Pit Crew

It is generally accepted that the story of naming the Mustang after the WWII P-51 flighter is dubious.  Certainly it came up in the discussion, but in the end the symbol for the 'Stang was the horse, not the airplane.  That's like saying the Cougar was named after the Washington State football team.

Scott
Pit Crew

I remember seeing all those commercials with the galloping fighter planes running across the land...oh wait.

TonyT
Instructor

How come there's not an airplane on the fender, then?

Joivalfesa
New Driver

But the plane was named after the horse, so at the end the car was named after the horse!!

onedb
Passenger

Willie is wrong!!  It had a horse in the grill, on the side trim and the first issue wheel covers.  Engineer Paul Braun offered the name Mustang and while Ioccoa wanted another name Henry II liked Mustang and chose the horse for the grill. 

Clueless
Passenger

The Mustang may have been named after a WW II fighter aircraft but from the beginning, it’s logo and badging has been the horse.

RIMSPOKE
New Driver

MUSTANG WAS A MOTORCYCLE BEFORE IT WAS A CAR . 

JohnP
Passenger

I can most definitely say the Mustang was named after the horse. When I had my chance to sit down with Gale Haldeman before he passed, I asked him that point blank. He smiled and said it was the horse, you don't see an airplane on the grille do you?

Phil
Passenger

I recall seeing Horses in the Mustang ads of the sixties, not airplanes!

GreaseMonkey
Passenger

Or the pinto

WillieG12
Pit Crew

Comments below responding to mine re the P 51 Fighter Plane.
WillieG12
Pit Crew

Comments below responding to mine re the P 51 Fighter Plane. The history of the plane is more complicated than most folks know. The plane was made in the USA for use by the British. Identified as a P 51, it was modified many times and eventually used by American and British forcess. Modified again it was used in Korea. The name "Mustang" was an homage by Iaccoca to the plane NOT the horse. A logo employing the plane would constitute copyright and trademark infringement of the plane's manufacturer. Using a horse and the nick name for the plane let Ford avoid any intellectual property disputes and use a better looking logo to boot.
RSorenson1
Intermediate Driver

What no Jaguar? Pantera? Or very much less cool but good...Beetle, Wasp or Lark.

Myrtle37051
Passenger

I beg your pardon, the Beetle is way cool!  🙂

tberg
Pit Crew

I didn't see your comment before I posted mine, great minds think alike.

Will
Intermediate Driver

Road Runner  The roadrunners (genus Geococcyx), also known as chaparral birds or chaparral cocks, are two species of fast-running ground cuckoos with long tails and crests. They are found in the southwestern and south-central United States and Mexico, usually in the desert. Some have been clocked at 20 miles per hour (32 km/h) while a few have also been clocked up to 27 miles per hour (43 km/h)

1d1a2d2a
Pit Crew

Jaguar XKE, Marlin, Bronco, Mustang,etc etc., too many to list. But the XKE!!! Magnificent. l am lucky enough to own one. A '63 coupe.