cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

The 5 coolest cars named after animals, according to the Hagerty Community

For something that is largely arbitrary, car names are considered sacred by automotive faithful. Should an OEM revive a nameplate and not live up to consumer expectations set by the model's previous generation, the critics will be vocal (you can keep your modern GTO comments to yourself.) However, before a nameplate can be revived it must be born. The conference rooms of automakers surely still have coffee spill stains and pizza grease in the floorboards from late-night brainstorming sessions choosing the perfect name for a new model. More than occasionally, an animal provided inspiration for a car that would, once realized, be beautifully photographed for brochures and enjoyed by drivers on the road.

With so many cars that share names with animals, we were curious which were the coolest of the group, so we asked the Hagerty Community to help us decide. We plucked the top five answers from the ensuing discussion.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/the-5-coolest-cars-named-after-animals-according-to-...

266 REPLIES 266
jcharris2
Passenger

Kyle, you blew it; instead of picking a one-off "Cheetah", you left off what should be number one on the list, Jaguar.  At least that is a car which looked like it's name

silverribbons
Passenger

What about the Mustang?

GreggLN
Passenger

You missed two of the most well known, of course you then couldn't call it Top 5. Stingray and Mustang. And one of my favorites, Tiger.

Indyvet
Passenger

What about the Pantera, Beautiful sleek and fast.

Tkwalters1
Passenger

How about the Mustang!  How do you not include one of the most famous cars named for an animal.  My personal favorite is the 67 fastback GT S Code.  

DaveVan
Intermediate Driver

Come on.......Mustang???? More Mustangs built than any of the above.

Pantera1973
Passenger

Detomaso Mangusta (Mongoose in Italian).

Detomaso Pantera (Panther in Italian).

jjandersen
Passenger

My favorite is the Dodge Viper or Chevrolet Stingray or maybe Buick Wildcat, Ford mustang or pinto from American companies.  Audi fox, VW beetle for foreign companies.

Figuero
Intermediate Driver

Seems like the emphasis was placed on the coolest animal names and not the coolest cars named for an animal.  Cougar, Barracuda, and Impala?  I would posit that the Mustang, Stingray, Tiger, and any number of Jags were cooler cars.  Ok, Hemi-Cuda perhaps.  

FEZ
New Driver

Rambler Marlin is an odd one.

My favorite (that I might afford) is the Opal Manta (1g).

Be well car nuts, I'm going to go pet my NA Miata, it's pretty warm today, I might go out.

I did do some top-down motoring on my birthday a few days ago, temperature didn't reach 50 F.

Steveram54
Navigator

De Tomaso "Pantera"

Panther in Italian 

Steveram54
Navigator

De Tomaso "Pantera"

Panther in Italian 

brownneil
New Driver

Obviously we missed the Mustang, arguably the most popular of the "animal" nameplates.

98Mustang
New Driver

Mustang for sure...Corvette Stingray and Dodge Viper also come to mind.

Johnny-T
New Driver

Hudson Golden Hawk, though that is a mix up of bird species, its still a great looking car. We should probably have different categories here: mammal, avian, insect, aquatic.

Brentprim
New Driver

Of course, everyone will have his or her own list of 'coolest', but NOT including the Fabulous Hudson HORNET - especially the 51-54s which dominated the NASCAR tracks - does disservice to your list. I would also add that while the Barracuda, Impala and Cougar were real 'production' cars (as was  the Hudson Hornet), the Shelby AC Cobra and the Cheetah GT were not, strictly speaking (of course, both are indeed 'cool', so as not to detract from them). 

Johnny-T
New Driver

How about the Hudson Golden Hawk? Though the name is a mix up of two different birds. We should probably have multiple categories here: mammals, avian, insects, and aquatic.

Erik
Passenger

Studebaker rather?

2Orphan5
Passenger

Plymouth Road runner 

FrankenStag
New Driver

AMC Hornet?  Not a notoriously cool car, but not a Pinto or Gremlin either. 

cmartin
Passenger

Hey, where's the Pinto and the Hudson Hornet???

ianhunt
Passenger

I was surprised at the omission of the Corvette Sting Ray, introduced in 1963.  The styling and performance still is classic.  Since you included the Barracuda (which is a fish) in your list, why not include the Corvette Sting Ray?

Kjellsdaughter
Passenger

We all have personal definitions of "cool".  Mine includes my British Panther J72.  

chmcallister
Passenger

C'mon now, how can you leave out the Pantera!! Way cooler looking than an Impala!

Pbgray
Pit Crew

Don’t forget the venerable Buick Wildcat!

Higgs
Passenger

How about the Stingray?

ChrisUsry
Passenger

Does Road Runner not count?

NitrousDodge
Passenger

When did a Barracuda or a Cobra become animals? They are a fish and a reptile. Just saying.

rgmaria
Navigator

DeTomaso Mangusta and Pantera, Fiat Panda, Studebaker Hawk & Lark, Ford Mustang & Pinto, Buick Skylark, AMC Eagle, Jaguar, Corvette Sting Ray, VW Beetle, Plymouth Road Runner, Dodge Ram...

Golgotha
Passenger

I would argue that the DeTomaso Pantera should have been included in this list. The Pantera which in Italian is translated Panther was commissioned by Ford and sold through Lincoln Mercury dealerships.

Finboy
Passenger

Don't forget Bronco

Algis
Passenger

Where is JAGUAR ?

JimPileggi
Passenger

How about the Jaguar?  Mustang is a horse and then there is the Sunbeam Tiger.  Man you missed at least three!

EdZ
Passenger

Sunbeam Tiger Cobra 289.  It's got 2 animals in it's name. On a real one, the namesake Tiger is on the front quarter panel and the snake badge is on both rear quarters. 

Bettyemae
Intermediate Driver

I’ve seen more UN-cool cars here than cool cars. Pinto? Seriously? Bronco? Hornet? I’ll stop before I insult someone.

Goalie_35
Passenger

What? No Jaguar?? 

Goalie_35
Passenger

What? No Jaguar???

Twc
Passenger

How can we forget the stingray ?

dexterre
Passenger

The Stingray is probably the most iconic and you left it out.

c7mustang390
Passenger

Whether it was named after the one the greatest, fastest fighter planes of the time, most Mustangs have a "running horse" on it somewhere, thus making it #1 muscle car associated with an animal of all time, period!

old51ford
Passenger

Cougar 77- 78- 79  You Don't see many But They Are Cool, Why Don't Hagerty Show a Value For Them?

DeanLinAZ
Passenger

Sunbeam Tiger

DeanLinAZ
Passenger

Sunbeam Tiger

Mzmaine
Passenger

Stingray. rabbit. Fox. 

Mzmaine
Passenger

Stingray, rabbit, fox. 

daversa1
New Driver

How is the Ford Mustang omitted from this list ?  For me, it is the first car that comes to mind.

RickR
Passenger

Leave us not to omit the Hillman Minx, old boy.

Ron1
Passenger

If a flirtatious young woman is an animal, then yes, minx. 

Metman
New Driver

Studebaker Hawk?

Jimbeam
Passenger

I’m hurt that you didn’t mention Jaguars which are mammals and generally referred to as animals by folks who didn’t take biology. Barracudas, while in the Kingdom Animalia , are called fish, not animals,  by most of us. Getting out of a boat after a fishing trip , nobody ever ran up to me to ask “how many animals did ‘ya catch today?” Frankly, I think that’s just one more reason why Mustangs significantly outsold  Barracudas. Ditto the AMC Marlin. The exception maybe was the Corvette Sting Ray.