cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

The 5 coolest cars named after animals, according to the Hagerty Community

For something that is largely arbitrary, car names are considered sacred by automotive faithful. Should an OEM revive a nameplate and not live up to consumer expectations set by the model's previous generation, the critics will be vocal (you can keep your modern GTO comments to yourself.) However, before a nameplate can be revived it must be born. The conference rooms of automakers surely still have coffee spill stains and pizza grease in the floorboards from late-night brainstorming sessions choosing the perfect name for a new model. More than occasionally, an animal provided inspiration for a car that would, once realized, be beautifully photographed for brochures and enjoyed by drivers on the road.

With so many cars that share names with animals, we were curious which were the coolest of the group, so we asked the Hagerty Community to help us decide. We plucked the top five answers from the ensuing discussion.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/the-5-coolest-cars-named-after-animals-according-to-...

266 REPLIES 266
daydreamerdav
Pit Crew

The AMC Marlin was a nice looking car for the time. under powered though the biggest motor was a 327.  only lasted for 2 1/2 years late 65/66/67.

jdreeves
Pit Crew

I agree with you. The Marlin was a great looking car. I loved that big, curved glass in the back. AMC then gave us the beautiful Javelin and the AMX in 68, 69, 70. And what great engines that produced a lot of  tourque from the 290 to the 343 to the 360 and the best the 390 optopned with a Go Package coupled to a Borg and Warner T-10 4 speed. I do not care for the larger Javelins and AMX's af produced in 1971 through 1974. The humped curve in the front fender wells was not appealing to the eye.  The 1970 model  was my favorite year with the split front grill and the interior  quite nice, instrumentation and all. The Mark Donohue SST Javelin was a beautiful car.

Gxp131
Passenger

VW Rabbit!!  Especially the 84 GTI which was deemed Domestic car of the year by Automobile magazine that year.  

jrobiso
New Driver

How about the Plymouth Road Runner or Buick Wildcat!

frankjnice
Passenger

The Studebaker Lark is a compact car which was produced by Studebaker from 1959 to 1966. From its introduction in early 1959 until 1962, the Lark was a product of the Studebaker-Packard Corporation.

PhineasPhil
Passenger

Buick Wildcat?

mwmyers91
Detailer

I would have to say, The Road Runner, Beep Beep !!!!

Frank_Mulligan
Passenger

I agree, but they probably left it off the list considering they chose only five and Mopar was already represented.

A-Snake
Passenger

"Those in the know will tell you they prefer the 283-cubic-inch model, as it has the power to scare you without being nearly as brutal as the big-block cars." Ford used a 289 cu in. It was Chevy that had a 283. 😉

Eric
Hagerty Employee

fixed!

MarkS
New Driver

I think the DeTomaso Pantera is a more interesting car than several you choose to include.

Carthropology
New Driver

Am I living in an alternate universe?

Has any one ever heard of the Mustang? the Stingray? Jaguar?

Sevebabe
Passenger

Come on people, what about the Ford Mustang?

Dragon
Passenger

1953 Kaiser Dragon ?

FEZ
New Driver

Yes !
imwithstoopid
Navigator

One of my Grammar School teachers had one back when it was new. YES, I'm that old 76 yrs.
Chevyprez
Passenger

Don't forget the  Sunbeam Tiger.

Harry
New Driver

They said 'cool'

gordon
New Driver

Hey Harry, no comment about the coolness of the Pinto! And you comment on the Tiger!

5xpapa
New Driver

How about the Super Bee and the Mercury Lynx

MarsCars
Passenger

The Qvale Mangusta and the Sunbeam Tiger are my two favorites. De Tomaso and Qvale selected the Mangusta name as in the wild the mongoose swallows the cobra whole - and Shelby's Tiger, well, let's Get Smart about it . . .

Silver_91
Passenger

Lamborghini Murcielago 

JimG
Passenger

Does a Gremlin count as an animal?

DmSea
Pit Crew

Don’t wash this car or drive in the rain!
satx78247
Passenger

Did your publication perhaps forget: THUNDERBIRD?

yours, tex

Bunka
Intermediate Driver

Please post a picture of the animal named "Thunderbird".

scram001
Passenger

This was an Ancient Indigenous Mythical Bird I presume! No picture available but often seen perched ominously on Totem Poles along the West Coast.... My Skylight Blue 64 Ford Galaxie Convertible is updated with a modified 428 and "Thunderbird" Valve Covers. Goes like a Rocket, looks Great.  Cheers! Bob S....

seeswell
Passenger

Viper should be on the list

seeswell
Passenger

Mustang, Jaguar as well

ericjump
Passenger

BMW 6 series "The Shark"

Dmc
Passenger

Mustang! 

ericjump
Passenger

BMW 6 series "The Shark"

jackellison2
New Driver

Camaro, which was originally to named Panther.

MarshMountain
New Driver

Regarding the AC/Cobra, it would be an extremely low-production Cobra with a 283 V-8 (which was at the time Chevrolet’s small block V-8). 
I believe you would have liked to have said “preferred a 289”...

Popstoys
Passenger

What about the Ford Mustang?

78cummins
Passenger

And a Barracuda is an animal ?? Fish maybe but animal, it dont have any legs ! 

RussT
Passenger

The best car maker in the world in the 60s Jaguar

MarsCars
Passenger

My two favorites are the Qvale Mangusta and the Sunbeam Tiger.  DeTomaso and Qvale called their impressively unique creation the Mangusta as in the wild the Mongoose swallows the Cobra whole.  Shelby called his Alpine on steroids the Tiger as, well, Get Smart about it . . .

Chazoo
New Driver

Porsche's Cayman and Macan (Tiger).
Montrose
Pit Crew

That's a pretty American centric list of cars there.  Did you forget Jaguar?  Lotus Elan?  Lots of others out there that did not originate in Detroit.

crazdbiker
Passenger

Jaguar!

Buggynuts
Passenger

Meyers Manx.  We own 3 of them, my favorite animal.  Tom

Buggynuts
Passenger

Meyers Manx!  We own 3 of them, our favorite animal.  

leduced
Intermediate Driver

Y'all forgot the lowly Pinto, not so fast but lots of fun....
Gunther
Passenger

The Pantera was a great match of Italian style and American muscle.

Will
Intermediate Driver

Pantera is a lot of things, but not an animal. Panthera is the animal.
gaston
Passenger

Uhm... Mustang? Anyone?

Whether you like it or not, it has been one of the coolest american cars since the 60s.

It has been reinvented several times.

How is it possible that it didn’t make the top 5?

WillieG12
Pit Crew

Not named after the horse but rather the WWII fighter plane.  Don't let the emblem fool you.

DM
Navigator

Contrary to WillieG12's comment. the history of the Mustang name is far more complex and does, in fact, have links to the horse by the same name. It did, after all, initiate the 'pony car' era and will forever be associated with the iconic horse logo. It deserves to be high on the list. Though for me, the Cobra is number one followed by the Pantera.