cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The 2021 Ford F-150 Raptor won't challenge the TRX ... yet | Hagerty Media

The third generation of Ford Raptor is here, and it's more impressive than ever. Building on the bones of the 14th-generation F-series, the Raptor riffs the same formula that made the previous two generations of Raptor huge hits with off-roaders and "halo trucks" for the rest of the F-150 lineup.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-2021-ford-f-150-raptor-wont-challenge-the-trx-yet/
25 REPLIES 25
KPgarage
New Driver

There is no way any Dodge truck can match the Raptor, this edition nor any before it. Every Raptor I have owned has been just exceptional. And, as every Ford truck owner knows, Ram owners need not worry, as long as Ford keeps making tow trucks, they'll have a way home. There is are multiple reasons why Ford trucks, and the Raptor are number one year after year after year.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

Good work on the objective post 🙂
According to M/T, RAM pickups have been #1 for the past 3 years. Time will tell how many TRX are sold vs. the Raptor, but for power the bar has been set by RAM for now.
OldBryan
Intermediate Driver

GOTTA LOVE THIS!
Back in my day, it was Chevy vs. Ford.
Trash talk and competition — the spice of life!
Lightning1
Detailer

Yea, that's what Ford and Chevy said when Japan ramped up U.S. sales in the 70s. You are only the best till someone builds better!
TopGun2
New Driver

I just received my TRX launch edition to replace my Raptor. This truck is heads and tails better than my 2020 Raptor in every way. My Ford sounds like a lawn mower from the exterior and my TRX sounds like a pissed off monster LOL. The Raptor was a great truck but cant agree with anyone that tries to say the Ford is better that has not owned both. Ram interiors are still far better and the plastic is almost non existent. The quality seems to be two steps above on the fit and finish as well. Ford has fallen behind a bit but hopefully they will find their way soon. My 2 cents on real world impressions.
Tim
Instructor

If this post is true, we have to question the judgment of someone who buys a brand new vehicle only to turn around and sell it for another brand new vehicle.
OldBryan
Intermediate Driver

Why?
Buy what you consider to be the best that you can afford.
If something better comes along, and you can afford it, go for it.
Life goes by too fast to sweat the small stuff.
If I had known how bad old age was gonna suck, I‘d have done a lot more wild, crazy, and risky things when I was able to do so.
I don’t regret anything I did, I regret not doing the things I didn’t do.
spoom
Technician

Looks like a lot of fun for someone who has the area to drive it in, or lives in a snow belt where it's nothing to get dumped on with a foot overnight. Not for me, but I love to see more choices.👍
tahend
Detailer

Just rolled 225k miles on my Dodge Ram 5.7l Hemi truck. Engine has never been out of the vehicle.
stevecobb45
Detailer

My 04 RAM with a Hemi still has the original belt, hoses, antifreeze & transmission fluid. I've replaced the brakes & tires. It is a hybrid. It burns gas & rubber.
GrantMac001
New Driver

My 2004 Ram 3500 just turned 590,000 km. The 6 speed standard trans. is the best.
stevecobb45
Detailer

Let's see, 450 HP verses 702. By 2022 I'm sure RAM will up their game. Will we see 1000 HP down the road? In no time the restrictions on ICE vehicles, in the form of emission taxes, fuel mileage taxes & the increase in gasoline prices will cause most production of pickups to be plug-in electrics. Now an all-wheel drive electric pickup with 1000 HP is something I can wait for. I'll just stick my Harbor Freight generator in the back for long trips.
Bratpane
Pit Crew
chrlsful
Instructor

funny. Ppl keep askin bout my early bronk, what I think of the new, etc. I've all ways said (what 10, 12 yrs now) that "if the new bronk hada raptor underneath it I'd get one." Have not made a purchase yet. Hope this-un's as good as the earlier (they still need to equip the sm 2dor bronk this way).
Tim
Instructor

Bummer the SuperCab is going away. Looks-wise, that's the best balance between too much bed and too much cab. I can't imagine needing to haul 5 people over the dunes at 80MPH. 😄 But I guess even the Raptor needs to be a part-time family vehicle. 😄 😄
hyperv6
Technician

Both are going to live on for a limited time as these engines will be gone soon. Buy them enjoy them and stop comparing and complaining.
MYTFAST
Intermediate Driver

Ford continues to make what a top notch product that the customer wants. They'll stay at the top as long as they continue to follow that game plan. YEA FORD!!!!!
Lightning1
Detailer

I bought a Ford in 2011 when the other 2 accepted govt. money. OK, I made a political statement but found out Fords lack.
Teuffelhunden
Pit Crew

Motor Trend said last year that "If Ford and Chevy don't begin to offer more amenities, upgrade their interiors, and lower their price points, there will be a Ram in every driveway." My father-in-law was a die-hard blue oval man who retired from Ford 5 years ago. He drove my 2019 Longhorn, almost passed out when he heard what I paid for it, and bought a 1500 Longhorn with the EcoTech Diesel. For just $7,000 more he could have bought the Longhorn in 3/4 ton, 4x4, with the 6.7 Cummins which doesn't need Blue Def. What is the price difference between the Ford and Chevy 3/4 ton diesel to their 1/2 ton? The 4-wheel air suspension was a huge sale (he has bad hemorrhoids). The truck rides better, is more powerful, has more amenities, and is more luxurious than my sister-in-law's Cadillac CTS.

REMEMBER that the CEO for DJCR is a former Rally World Champion and he has stated that they will build the most luxurious and powerful cars and trucks of all, and they have. You can now get a 500hp Jeep or one with 450' lbs. of torque out of a small turbo diesel. Let's see, a Jeep Renegade that will out run a 2021 Corvette? Yep!
For those that don't believe- Go test drive the King Ranch, Chevy whatever, and then the Ram Longhorn... Make sure you take a picture of the window sticker... You'll buy the Ram!
Teuffelhunden
Pit Crew

I think it's hilarious that the TRX comes with a line lock system and launch control. It will also record and analyze your eighth and quarter mile times! All in a truck more luxurious, has more features, and is cheaper.
Teuffelhunden
Pit Crew

That interior picture of the Raptor tells you just how far the interior of Ford has come... It looks like a 90's King Ranch! As for Chevy, they are still installing the interiors left over from the '89 Cavalier!
Teuffelhunden
Pit Crew

Even the Ram Rebel is more luxurious, has more features, just as off road capable, and rides better, and costs much less than the Raptor. Plus, Ram will allow you to install power adders such as a supercharger, and lift kits without voiding the warranty!
Teuffelhunden
Pit Crew

My father added a 3" lift, larger turbo, larger intercooler, and flow through exhaust on his 2018- 3/4 ton 6.7 Cummins for hunting trips in Colorado and Alaska. DID NOT VOID HIS WARRANTY! He even had the option of having the dealership install it or one of their approved installers.
Because I work overseas, my 2019 Longhorn rarely gets driven... Ram adjusted my full BUMPER TO BUMPER warranty to 6 years or 80K miles! I still got the free fluid changes and multi-point inspections for 3 years...They gave me 24K trade for my 2012 3/4 ton Cummins Longhorn, another 14K off which was actually for the Big Horn edition, and an additional 3K off for being a veteran. Ask your Ford or Chevy dealer if they will give you 41K off their top of the line truck!
I'm telling you if you don't buy a Ram, you are being cheated in every way, shape, and form!
Alico87
Intermediate Driver

The Rebel simply isn't even close to as capable as the Raptor, it is a closer comparison to an FX4 package F150 or a Trail Boss Silverado in that regard. I have heard of people wit great relationships with their Ram dealers though so it is certainly a reasonable point, although I have heard of aftermarket supercharged Dodge and Ram products that also had the warranty voided, so it's probably more of a relationship thing with your dealer than a standard procedure.

Thanks for your service as well!

Alico87
Intermediate Driver

Like the evolution can't wait for the 2022 with hopefully a ton of power! I'm intrigued by the RAM lovers and the TRX, it is a great truck with great capability, but it's also a knock off of the Raptor so give some credit where it's due.