cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The 20 best car ads of all time | Hagerty Media

If a car maker wants to advertise its shiny new car, more often than not it'll turn to the internet to create a viral video to get people talking. But things used to be so much simpler-and cleverer.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/the-20-best-car-ads-of-all-time/
135 REPLIES 135
MeJ
Intermediate Driver

The Hijet ad is great and so is the Volvo wagon one. But my favorite is the Citroen comparing itself to Porsche, Ferrari, and Rolls Royce. The comparison about having the same amount of wheels made me laugh. Clever.
Guitar74
Gearhead

I enjoyed the Peugeot and Citroen ads most of all. It's the idea of an ad with a sense of humor about the product it is trying to pimp to everyone that is just great.
Bill
Detailer

I think these all missed the mark. There have been thousands of better ads.
JeepCJ5
Intermediate Driver

What's your source?
Tinkerah
Technician

They all missed? Direct us to anything better.
Biff1
Pit Crew

Right on!
Taftster
New Driver

This is one of my all time favorites

Taftster_0-1623535695987.jpeg

Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

How did you post the picture in here? I haven't figured it out.
Sajeev
Community Manager
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

Your link was cut off but I found a way but my post I made has disappeared.
DUB6
Instructor

Taftster - this ad brought back some good memories:

I've had the pleasure of owning more than a few European cars.  Nothing exotic, mind you, but something a bit more exciting than a downline 4-door domestic sedan.  A '67 911, a '74 914, and an '88 924S - so as I say, pretty entry-level as Porsche standards go.  But I'll say one thing: I didn't own three of them because I was disappointed in the first one...

Even at the least expensive end of the scale, those folks put together some pretty zippy little automobiles.  The fit and finish was "very good" to "excellent" on all of mine, and I could easily find a curvy road or even a long straight and experience the best of what those cars were built to do.

I'm an old stoplight-to-stoplight and 1/4-mile drag racer...a guy who cut his teeth on rumbling American V-8s, but I'd be happy to own a Porsche any day!   😋

Gregnfc
New Driver

Bill: Social media posts always inspire someone ready to spoil the fun - even benign, amusing posts like this one from Hagerty ... which clearly took some time to assemble; and is refreshingly non-political, historical, and chuckle inspiring. Rather than disrespect a really nice effort from Hagerty - why not do some homework yourself, find and post links to a few of the “thousands of better ads” for all of us to enjoy, and save the negative energy for vintage Ferrari brake fading, or Jag electrical failures? You’ll be doing all of us a favor! This is of course only my humble opinion.
MustangJim
Intermediate Driver

Gregnfc, so well said you deserve more then a like! kudos to you, its just a fun article that made me, and most of you, smile a little bit.
MattK
Intermediate Driver

KillJoy
miata93
Pit Crew

It's not in this list but the VW ad showing the Beetle floating in a swimming pool was impressive.
smorty
New Driver

How about the one with the Beetle getting a speeding ticket?
Caption ... "We did it!" ... indicating it can exceed 65 mph.
steamboatwilley
Pit Crew

Right; the text was something like "While it will definitely float, it won't float indefinitely." Probably my favorite of all time.
cyclemikey
Intermediate Driver

Best of all time? Seriously? Well, maybe if you're a Boomer and you only consider import cars.

As for me, you can find me somewhere west of Laramie, in a Jordan Playboy.
Autoxr1
Pit Crew

Agreed! The 1923 Jordan Playboy "Somewhere west of Laramie" ad was the first to sell a car's image rather than its substance. It is still considered one of the greatest car ads of all time.
Jordan Playboy - Driving Inspiration

Autoxr1
Pit Crew
Padgett
Intermediate Driver

Now one for American cars ? "After a few moments of respectful silence you may turn the page."
BritTwit
New Driver

I personally heard this from a RR salesman
"You can drive right over a Toyota, and not spill your drinks".
TimK
Detailer

But the Ford LTD was quieter than a RR. I saw it on TV so it must be true.
DRF
Intermediate Driver

And if memory serves, a Granada was better than a Mercedes according to Ford.
S2kChris22
Pit Crew

Where’s the 993 Turbo “Kills Bugs Fast????”
Gregnfc
New Driver

Find it and Post a link!
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

I posted it. Give it a bit it should show up.
GaryW
New Driver

The authors of this article very obviously ONLY read European auto based car magazines! Not a single ad from US auto makers... not the Dr Oldsmobile ads? Not the Chrysler 'Scat Pack' ads? Nada... I stopped buying/reading C&D, R&T at a very young age because of the same bias shown by your author of this ad... 😞
Autoxr1
Pit Crew

The note at the beginning says that this article originally appeared in "Hagerty UK," thus the European bias in the ads selected. It would be nice to see a similar effort compiling the best from the American automakers.
Reatta
Pit Crew

Did you just grab sitting in an attic somewhere in Europe. Hey, come to America. You have lost your mind if you think these are the best ads.
I have hundreds much better, but don't need to show them all. Look up the Pontiac ad from 1964. "There is a Tiger loose in the streets". It is much better than all of your ads.
Sorry, I am not trying to be harsh. I have no way of putting it kindly when you butcher up such an article as this. Please, check out any ads from the muscle car era, you need to get out of Europe once and a while.
Srmert
Intermediate Driver

You are more than harsh, and little limited when you don’t read that the article is reprinted from Hagerty overseas. The world doesn’t always revolve around the US much the same way that the best cars aren’t always made here….
Padgett
Intermediate Driver

"The world doesn’t always revolve around the US " No but car advertisements started here: "Somewhere West of Laramie..."

lemansboy70
New Driver

I was waiting for " Somewhere West of Laramie.........."
IrishRover
New Driver

You obviously haven't driven a FORD lately.
Padgett
Intermediate Driver

True, I've never had a Ford or a pickup.

GoFast
Intermediate Driver

most of these advertisements are foreign so they don't really count.
Srmert
Intermediate Driver

Read the editor comment, it’s from Hagerty UK.
3Studebakers
New Driver

Chevy billboards once read “ The Best Make You Will Ever Move”
JeffGuinn
New Driver

I’ll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHA6IXSvreU
JF
New Driver

The very first car ad that came to my mind was the VW bug ad that showed a bug completely taken apart by a VW technician with all of the parts laid out across the screen, and then ended with "and now put it all back together" or words to that effect. I had hoped to see that one here!
JD53
New Driver

The VW Bug TV ad from the late 60's was the best. They drove a VW into a pond and we saw it float away as it slowly sank. The ad said "A Volkswagen will definitely float......... but it won't float indefinitely.
GRP_Photo
Advanced Driver

My favorite real ad is the "We tried and we couldn't do it. We couldn't fit Wilt Chamberlain into a VW Beetle." My all-time favorite is the National Lampoon spoof showing a floating Beetle with the caption "If Mary Jo Kopechne had owned a Volkswagen, Ted Kennedy would never have gotten into hot water."
Autoxr1
Pit Crew

Actually, it said " . . . Ted Kennedy would be president today."
1974REDMGB
New Driver

Never forgot the VW ad which asked “ever wonder how the snow plow driver gets to work?” It showed a VW going thru the snow to the snow plow garage.
NCBugman
New Driver

Not even one American made car advertisement ?
Srmert
Intermediate Driver

It is a Hagerty UK article. What do you expect?
ThePorscheMan
Pit Crew

If you'd actually read the article you see there is one yank car ad'.
spdfreak
Pit Crew

These are pretty clever...judging by the comments, there are a lot of old guys sucking on lemons this morning.
64jeepsrt
Intermediate Driver

Yeah... the lemons make their mouths pucker so their wooden dentures will fit... LOL