cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The 20 best car ads of all time | Hagerty Media

If a car maker wants to advertise its shiny new car, more often than not it'll turn to the internet to create a viral video to get people talking. But things used to be so much simpler-and cleverer.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/the-20-best-car-ads-of-all-time/
136 REPLIES 136
MR
Intermediate Driver

Doyle Dane Bernbach
Simply the best!
rosered
New Driver

I've had 5 LEMONS during my lifetime....the first was a 1963 Red Convertible and my last lemon which I still have is a 1979 Red Convertible with extremely low mileage....loved all my LEMONS!
DAdams
Intermediate Driver

One can't forget the Subaru ads comparing the Outback to the Jeep Cherokee. Too bad Jeep missed the opportunity to turn the tables on Subaru by taking the Outback truly off the road where Jeep's greater ground clearance and power could shine.
kidyet11
New Driver

Can't believe Ford,Chevy and Mopar in the 60's and 70's didn't make your list. 🤔🤔

Inline8OD
Intermediate Driver

Unable to paste it here. Google 1933 Packard Hush Peter Helck.
jchain
New Driver

My favorite was the VW Bug ad showing steam coming out from the engine hatch and one word in large print: “Never”
jchain
New Driver

I just looked it up. It actually said “Impossible” and the steam was coming from the “frunk”. My memory fades after 60 years! Still clever!
Inline8OD
Intermediate Driver

Here it is. And below, my favorite of these comments:
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/762586149378533442/
Tim
11 hours ago
Wow, you can tell who the C students were in school. Those who didn't read the assignment and wondered why they didn't get a better grade. All the complaints about "no American ads".
SJ
Advanced Driver

Interesting,well done, maybe a USA/Canada/Japan/ other interesting countries too.
MYTFAST
Intermediate Driver

The paper these ads are printed on may be worth more than the cars they advertise!
Jkatzen6o
New Driver

I don't know where the writer gets his 411 or instincts, but this list stinks. Rolls Royce and vw in the same list among most of the others. Where is the C3 Corvette, or the 1o66 Thunderbird, the first Modern car, with full guages, remote everything, sliding sterring wheel, an 18" thermometer for a speedometer that turns angry red the faster you go and 20 THUNDERBIRD scripts and a dozen THUNDERBIRDS the frint grill and below trunk ones are 1i" wide withe turquois tailfeathers!!!!!
Air_and_Water
Detailer

It clearly states that this article was written in England...

"Editor’s note: This article originally appeared on Hagerty UK. Though the marques featured in these ads are known on both sides of the Atlantic, most of these vehicles didn’t come stateside when new. There are a few familiar faces, however, and many models are now being imported by collectors into the United States. In the interests of balancing readability with authenticity, we’ve adapted phrasing and spelling to an American lexicon."
m0bius
New Driver

I've always loved the Spanish BMW tv spot, albeit not a print as it captures the mystique of driving so well. http://mcmenuadvertising.blogspot.com/2015/04/bmw-te-gusta-conducir-do-you-like-to.html
Longtimecarguy
New Driver

My all time favourite TV car ad was a North American ad for the Beetle called "The Will". It shows a funeral procession of expensive cars ending with the VW, and it has a voiceover of the reading of the will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNWaHR5-_7g
Mike_E_V
Detailer

Is it just me or are all these ads from manufacturers outside the US? I don't recall any of these ads. Next!
TA76
Intermediate Driver

Not much there for the US. My first thought not much to really catch the eye. Second thought they are mostly crappy ads. If this is the best in Europe their ad people are not very good.
ppointer
Intermediate Driver

Little GTI is the one I always think of when it comes to VW commercials -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zcm4oS9IaM
Andretti
Pit Crew

So Hagerty reprints this article for all of us to enjoy. That’s fine but at least offer up something similar for us gearheads in North America
Bucko
New Driver

One of the best ever TV ads I recall, maybe because I live in Montana, was one where all you saw was a bitter cold morning scene with lot's of snow on the ground. What you hear is the sound of someone walking through the frozen snow, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch...then a voice saying, "Do you ever wonder what the snowplow operator drives to work?" Then a VW Beetle rolls out of the garage....
kmccabe56
New Driver

Posting a series of "Best" UK ads in North America is about as pointless as posting a series of "Best" North American ads in the UK or Europe. Neither audience cares much about the cars from `across the pond' with few exceptions (both cars and people). A previous poster mentioned the Jordan Playboy ad "Somewhere West of Laramie" as the best ad of all time and I agree. Also in any North American ad list, there'd be one or more from the Pontiac ads of Art Fitzpatrick and Van Kaufman as well as Jim Wangers. There are countless Ford ads from every decade that are worthy of being on such a list as well as many of the high performance Mopar ads from the golden age of musclecars. Normally an article from Hagerty is well worth the read and highly informative. This one misses the mark by a wide margin.
Timbo
Intermediate Driver

But none had "Corinthian Leather!"
DUB6
Technician

Now THERE was a commercial!

pastorlarry
New Driver

Sorry, this article was a waste of time. UK ads we've never seen about cars most of which we've never seen let alone driven equals wasted time. Come on, Hagerty, you're better than this. Nothing more relatable for us?
JerV8Flat4
Pit Crew

The best, or at least the cheekiest, Doyle Dane Bernbach VW ad was “It’s Ugly But It Gets You There,” featuring the Lunar Lander.

A bit of a miss to show the Rolls ad and not follow with the Land Rover ad that proves that parody is the sincerest form of flattery. https://swiped.co/file/60-miles-an-hour-land-rover-ad-by-howard-gossage/
Jnick
Detailer

Who could forget the Audi commercial with the DobeWawa? We still laugh about that!
TenaciousT
New Driver

The 1960 - 1970's VW Beetle adds we by far the best ever ! TV adds were award wining ! Could have had your top 20 right there .
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

Volkswagen had a great ad campaign. I used the 0-60 question to explain the acceleration of my parents 1986 Toyota Minivan. 0-60? Yes.

The Porsche 911 Turbo Kills Bugs Fast ad was one of the best...

porsche-911-gt3-customer-orders-kills-bugs-fast-door-sills-a-retro-pun_2

salsa96
Intermediate Driver

Who are these people that are too lazy to actually read the freakin article? Makes you look pretty lame when you come with the negative comments.
DRF
Intermediate Driver

When I saw the article title, the first ad that came to my mind was the 60's Rolls Royce Cloud ad, glad to see it made it. The ad shown was for the US market and Land Rover had a follow up ad, the two page version showing with and without the spare tire on the hood is an excellent one. It only works if you have seen the original Rolls Royce one. There is the parody version done by Bruce McCall which is very funny as well. Bruce McCall did a parody of the Jordan one mentioned as well.
DrWho
Pit Crew

I recall enjoying Alfa Romeo's ad for the Spider: "Carries everything you need - each other",
another was "Infinite Headroom". Viva Alfa Romeo!
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

The Porsche 911 Turbo Kills Bugs Fast ad was one of the best...

Gary_Bechtold_0-1623764984429.jpeg

Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

Volkswagen had a great ad campaign. I used the 0-60 question to explain the acceleration of my parents 1986 Toyota Minivan. 0-60? Yes.

Gary_Bechtold_1-1623765033241.jpeg

JohninNC
Advanced Driver

The volvo ad is pretty cool! But to me, anything Countach is tops.
DHR
Pit Crew

I always liked National Lampoon's parody of the Volkswagen adds that stated, "If Ted Kennedy Drove A Volkswagen, He'd Be President Today".
Maestro1
Instructor

The ads are wonderful and I thank you.
I remember the VW ads when the cars were new, and BBDO did a great job of making the owners family. Of course none of it would of happened without the blessing of the factory and the American Distributor, one in each region of the country.
In the Citroen ad, it's the prettiest car of the three! And my lady (at the time)'s Mother did not like the MGB. And Lamborghinis seem to be everywhere. It was quite something in those days and still is.
Well done.
Guitar74
Gearhead

Wow! Being from the U.S., "somewhere south of Kentucky", I really enjoyed the article regardless of whether or not it was from overseas. Does this somehow mean I am going to lose my mid 60s full size and pony car ownership cards? 

There weren't any shootings for anyone to lose their minds over. I know. Let's lose our minds over a harmless article with some witty ads from European manufacturers. Good Lord it's no wonder I don't do many forums.

DUB6
Technician

Amen, @Guitar74 ! 

To all the "lost minders" out there, here's my take: if it's about motor vehicles, driving them, working on them, owning them, admiring them - or some other verbs relatable to them, it belongs on this Hagerty Forum.  If it's something that you are not interested in, don't read the article, don't lambast the author, and kindly move on to something else.

By-the-way, this philosophy can be adapted to apply to many "controversial" things, which really aren't controversial except to those who choose to make them so by jumping up and down and either throwing a tantrum or casting negative aspersions on someone else.  Bottom line - chill out...