cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The 1967 Panhard 24 BT is the better Beetle you've never heard of

The VW Beetle gets a lot of love from enthusiasts young and old, but what if we told you that there was a French car that blows the Beetle away in just about every aspect? If you're a fan of the people's car, you'd at least be interested.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/video/the-1967-panhard-24-bt-is-the-better-beetle-youve-never-heard-of...
3 REPLIES 3
DrWho
Pit Crew

Hmmm... never heard of it? I mentioned it in the reader comments on the EV1! It still looks somewhat contemporary, maybe mid-90s, at least to my eyes.
CarciergeGlenn
Intermediate Driver

I've always been fascinated by the technology of these, and knew they were amazing. And of course, very French. Jay's right; had someone taken an interest in marketing these in the US, they may well have taken off in sales. 1967 was the last of them if I remember right; Citroen bought them up and discontinued these marvelous cars.
Mark_AJ2X
Intermediate Driver

I liked Jay's fascination with the torsion bar valve springs and the motor mounts on the exhaust headers -- it mirrors my own experience. In the late 1960s, when my college roommate was looking for a used car, we answered an newspaper ad (remember those?) offering a 1959 Panhard Dyna. As an engineering student I was amazed by the motor mounts, and the really impressive performance from the 850cc twin. The valve springs I didn't learn about until Charles Gould showed me the ones on his Dyna just a few years ago. (Charles loves loves loves unusual cars and has two buildings full of them in a western suburb of Boston.) Thanks for airing this video about its successor -- I really like it!