cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 10 most expensive motorcycles sold at Mecum Indy 2020

If you wanted to be among the top 10 motorcycles at Mecum Indy, you could have bought or sold anything from rare turn-of-the-century American bikes to Japanese and British ’70s superbikes, to 2000s American iron. Whatever your taste, let’s look at the top 10 motorcycles at Mecum Indy 2020.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/the-10-most-expensive-motorcycles-sold-at-mecum-indy-2020/

Replies (12)

Replies (12)

I have to admit that I was spoiled by a nearby motorcycle shop with Zundapp, Triumph, BSA, Hodaka, etc. emblazoned on their hand painted sign. I learned very early on that the putt-putt of those big singles could be sprocketed(?) to climb trees, if necessary. The owner and his son's would loan me tools and occasional instructions so long as I bought the parts from them. Not a business model in any Econ 221 class. But, here I am 65 years later speaking with reverence and respect of that obscure Spokane valley family. Thanks, Pop.

New Driver

I'm guessing that the author of this article may not be a big fan of the old Brit bikes.  One of the reasons the Norton Commando was (and still is) popular is that the new 'Isolastic Suspension' suppressed the shaking and rattling that the British twins were plagued with.  After 2000 RPM or so, they're as smooth as an inline 4 (I've owned both).  As for flexing, the 1975 model also added adjustable vernier Isolastic mounts so that the owner could tune that out of the suspension (previous models required shims to do that).  Regarding leaks, well, as owners say: 'What does it mean when your Norton leaks oil?  It means it's got oil!'  -Be happy!

Navigator

Some nice-looking bikes here.  "...classic ’70s naked-bike styling..." - to me, that is still how bikes are supposed to look!  I realize it mainly depends upon when one got interested in motorcycling, and for me, it was the 1970's.   That Norton, the Kaw, and above all, the CBX - wow.  I wish they still made bikes like that.  And I would put my money down on one, not just talk about it: I bought a Honda CB1100 when they first came out in 2013.  It was a combination of various Honda models' styling, but still looked darn good: no acres of plastic, no blacked-out engines, no "Transformer" styling.

Intermediate Driver

I think when I sell the Model-A a classic bike will be the replacement... takes up probably 1/5th the space.

New Driver

How did the Leno bike sell for no more than the other bikes? Isn't it still worth a premium for its provenance? I also can't believe a 1911 Indian is almost affordable. There were no Beemers on this list because there may have been none in this auction. Please read the title of the article.

Pit Crew

Am I the only one who thinks that real motorcycles have wire wheels? Alloy wheels just look weird. Other than that, some beautiful bikes.

Intermediate Driver

I believe the Norton has never been registered, so was literally a brand new bike. That would account for the price bump.

Pit Crew

Where are the Beemers!!?

Would expect to see a Daytona Orange R90S or possibly a Motosport R100RS in a list like this. But just cuz I'm a Beemer geek, others aren't so enamored.

Passenger

Please do not continue the incorrect Pierce Arrow nomenclature. The motorcycle is a Pierce. Yes, produced by the same Pierce family, but only the cars were referred to as Pierce Arrows. The arrow on the tank actually hearkens back to the firms earlier bicycles which used the same logo.

New Driver

I "get" all of these except for the Ridley.  It's got no appeal to anyone I know and virtually no practical use.  A fool and his money, I guess.....

New Driver

Where's the old FLH duo-glide Panhead?   I wish I still had mine, although my knee thanks me to not kick that old bike over, but I was silly and sold the beauty for only $40K.  That was 10 years ago& I haven't seen one like it since then.  

Passenger

A little reassurance that I'm not so old. None of these are really appealing motorcycles to me. I understand the significance of some of them. Still show me an RZ500 auction. That would be more exciting for me. I have a first year CBR900rr in the garage and an FZR400. Just waiting.

New Driver