cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The 10 highest auction sales of 2020 | Hagerty Media

Things started out normally enough. Just two months before most of us were canceling vacations and stocking up on hand sanitizer, we were watching the original Bullitt Mustang sell for $3.74M at Mecum Kissimmee and the first C8 Corvette bring $3M for charity in Scottsdale. Those sales seem like 12 years ago, not 12 months.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/the-10-highest-auction-sales-of-2020/
16 REPLIES 16
johnmarianmarks
Intermediate Driver

Wow! What a great article, thanks!

john
gsbeliever
Pit Crew

My Toyota Celica convertible must have been number 11....just missed the list again!
TonyT
Instructor

I just can't see a first-gen Tesla roadster reaching these levels of price or collectiblity.
SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

Obviously you've never gotten a repair bill for a Tesla.
Cornbinder
Intermediate Driver

Sorry, you lost me when you split up the B.A.T. Alfa's as individual sales of 3 of the 10 places. Just like when Worldwide sold three of Allegheny Ludlum's stainless steel Ford products in Sept. - the dynamics of having a "set" play as much as, if not more so, then the individual pieces. Anything else is a fools game of "what if" and "could have"; especially assuming the value of each is equally divisible by three of the aggregate sale price.
cyclemikey
Intermediate Driver

Yeah. Color me a blue-collar schmuck, but none of these does a thing for me. They're just cars to brag about owning. I'll take a nice Model A, a bone-stock '56 Chevy, and a Corvette convertible, and I'll keep the change, please.
GeeKay
Pit Crew

https://michigantoday.umich.edu/2015/06/16/the-real-batman/

This is a great story of a B.A.T. Found in northern Michigan years ago.
Rockem
Intermediate Driver

Oh,darn.I was so looking forward to dropping 15 or 20 mil and I missed them all.
SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

I'd have been willing to go as high as 12,666,550 for the '34 Bugatti 59, so congratulations to the sucker who overpaid for that one, she's yours with my compliments.
Fatcat32
Intermediate Driver

Just add these to my long list of "woulda-shouldas". If you look at cars as machines, they are all WAY overpriced. As art, though, it might be a different story. For me, they are a hobby, to be restored and driven. Having had a fair of experience with a Bugatti T-35B and a T-37A/B, I would certainly like to own one of my own. And although I have a great respect for the car's history, preserving it would not rule over the ability to use the car. I guess I am stuck on that ghinea pig wheel, endlessly chasing those special vehicles I most desire, forever just beyond my reach.
Punk
Detailer

Somewhere there's a line, a blurry one to be sure, and likely different for different people, where a car becomes simply too valuable to drive. While I can appreciate such cars, I would never ever consider owning one. I have a couple of somewhat valuable cars, one very rare, but not super valuable, in the mid 30s. The other is less rare but about three times as valuable. Both get driven a lot even in wet weather. Otherwise, I would not bother with them.Cars are fun to drive. That's why I buy them!
MrKnowItAll
Detailer

Priceless fragile museum, ego, or speculative “investments”.
I’ve got a better chance of sprouting delicate lacy wings and flying to the moon than own one of these- now- static displays. And I care just as much. When cars become too valuable to drive, they bore me. I’ve graduated from the “oh gosh oh golly” infantile preoccupation with “dream” cars.
Give me a solid grade 3 driver that I can enjoy.
br427
Intermediate Driver

And that's about what you deserve. It isn't hard to identify when an individual is bitter with the rest of the world because he can't afford "investments". You would probably need a grade 10 before you could afford it.
Historian
Detailer

Well, aren't you special! NOT! Lump me in with him while you are at it. Arrogant imbecile.
Pdxcarguy
Intermediate Driver

My only thought (and hope) is that the new caretaker(s?) show / display the 3 "Bat" cars...
Events like "Allure of the Automobile" held at the Portland Art Museum years ago quickly come to mind...
Just because I'm in the 99% group, financially...
Doesn't mean I can't appreciate their beauty...

PS- Seeing them driving down the road would be even better...
chrlsful
Instructor

Pete & repeat