cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The 10 biggest sales from the 2021 "Scottsdale Part II" auctions | Hagerty Media

Given all the jumbling of events and calendars this year, it's no surprise that January's Scottsdale auctions didn't proceed as normal. The biggest Scottsdale auction, Barrett-Jackson, didn't even take place in January and was postponed to March 23-27.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/the-10-biggest-sales-from-the-2021-scottsdale-part-ii-auction...
59 REPLIES 59
kip
Intermediate Driver

If my tax knowledge is correct, remember the big dollar cars for charity are probably a write-off for someone lol
uweschmidt
Detailer

Money for Charity isalways Good no matter how its Gathered
TG
Instructor

I've always thought that logic was a little flawed. When you spend 5.5 million dollars on a car charity and write it off, you don't have to pay taxes on 5.5 million dollars of income. It's not like the government refunds you 5.5 million
tahend
Detailer

Yawn!!!!!
Roadmaster1
New Driver

My sentiment exactly.......

Lightning1
Detailer

BJ has become a game that very few can participate. Stupid big money for cars that don't see the road. I'd rather go to cruise night in my old Pickup.
noah300g
Intermediate Driver

It would be much more relatable to see a story on the 100 least expensive cars to sell at the auction.
OHCOddball
Detailer

I agree. Exotics don't float my boat. I can appreciate a cherry more-door oddball.
bhankinsonn
Intermediate Driver

I kind of like the comment regarding the least expensive cars that went at auction, it's fun to see what these high end cars go for, but so far beyond most of our ability to do anything about but wishful thinking. Lets see what the hoi polloi might have had a shot at.
OldFordMan
Detailer

WHEW!
drhino
Instructor

Just don’t understand the big money for restomods. I know, lots of money was spent...
stevecobb45
Detailer

No mention of the TRX Ram serial #1 that sold for $400,000.00, but hey, that's chump-change in this bunch. Love to see if Ram ever does another run of these (hey Ram, I'm all in).
SteelyDan
Pit Crew

Like following an art auction... with tires.
Pretty and interesting cars that will live like a ship in a bottle, someday to get resold, create another story, and disappear into a collection again.
80 miles on a wonderful road car is a crime in my mind.
Many of us I think are less interested in what the speculators and .0000001% buy than the cars owners DRIVE.
Tim
Instructor

Percentage-wise, I've had a greater return on my stock investments than most of these owners saw during their ownership of these cars. I agree, if they aren't going to be enjoyed behind the wheel, a wiser investment would have been to purchase a life size print and invest the rest. The enjoyment is almost the same.
Beestly
Intermediate Driver

Two drunk millionaires must have been bidding on that resto mod corvette. Pretty car, but for that money, it kinda makes me feel nauseous.
az57chevy
Pit Crew

Kevin Hart bought it, who has been collecting some great builds lately
sharkguy48
Intermediate Driver

Let's hope he put it in his garage and does not drive it.
Exsanguinator
Intermediate Driver

I'm kinda hoping he does drive it.
Evan67
Pit Crew

Meanwhile, I'll continue to browse craigslist for $1000 junkers.
40Ford
Detailer

You should try AutoTempest, covers CraigsList and many other sites.
TristramBuckley
Pit Crew

$2.7 million for a fiberglassed body, iron block Corvette? Just wow.
FigueroB
New Driver

The $825k restomod '59 Vette is lost on me. I simply don't see the value over a $200k concours original. Yes, it has nice wheels, a better radio, a more refined engine, a pretty frame, and probably a smoother ride. But is it a sweeter ride, I think not.

az57chevy
Pit Crew

Don't knock it til you try it. The builder kept the beauty of the 59 and refined it with modern technology. Put a restored 1000 point Corvette next to it and guess which one will get more oohs and aaahs?
Figuero
Intermediate Driver

Put the $625k difference (about 350 Krugerrands) on the passenger seat of the original and see which gets the oohs and aaahs.

Punk
Detailer

There are two sorts of old car people. The ones who like originality and those who like massive stereos, air con, TV screens etc. in a 60 year old car. Despite which gets more ooooh and ahhhhs from people because a given car is so unique, I am squarely in the original camp. Other than a more efficient radiator, so I can drive in the summer, my classics are all stock. Right down to the generator. I agree that people should buy what makes them happy, but when there's nothing left of a classic except most of the body, its no longer a classic.
uweschmidt
Detailer

I agree about Originality but have made some truly reliability and safety Mods on our 1963 Afa Spyder for insance I have installed a little Mazda Alternator a ford Regulater Electronic Ignition from a Pinto ( including Ditributor) Ford Headlite Switch Chevy Turnsignal Switch and a complete Wiper system from an old Mazda I just did not have the Heart to let my Wife go out in this Car (especiallynafter Dark) I just don't trust Lucas or Marelli in fact ihave heard that Mr Lucas admonised his Friends on his Deathbed :and rember Boys dont Drive after Dark!!!! Hope I am forgiven for my transgressions
az57chevy
Pit Crew

That 59 Corvette is awesome. The builder does one a year as a hobby and brings it out to Barrett-Jackson. The attention to detail is superb and the designs and materials are top shelf.
JAG
Intermediate Driver

The one that gets me is the 65 Shelby at $962K. That's not just a new record but off the chart. Never trusted CJ when he sells his own stuff, especially when he does a "barn find". Agree with others the 59 resto vette was more than double what would have been a crazy price.
gtokdx1
Pit Crew

The 65 Shelby and 59 Vette are examples of when self-proclaimed "lovers of cars" become lovers of money! 

gtokdx1
Pit Crew

Barrett-Jackson - Where people with too much money go and spend too much money on cars that they will park and forget about, just so people will see them spending obscene amounts of too much money!
Huntwt
Pit Crew

I’d like to know the story on how the Super Snake ended up swimming with the fishes.
PorscheMan
Intermediate Driver

Bingle search'll get you the answer. It's well known.
Figuero
Intermediate Driver

The story I heard was the throttle stuck open, and off he went over the cliff.

I had something very similar happen to me when I was in San Francisco area.  I was being given a test ride in a 1964 corvette in 1974. The owner was driving us up a very twisty Corte Madera Ave and stopped.  He wanted to show me that the engine was real tight and didn't burn any oil.  He told me to look out the rear did a rolling start in first gear and then floored it.  Everything was fine until we went past redline because the linkage stuck.  We luckily went off the side of the road going up the cliff and not the other side.  We ended up on the roof in the middle of the road.

The car was a mess but we were ok.

ed
Detailer

Meanwhile, here on planet Earth...I debate whether or not to sell my beloved 2005 Acura RL. It could easily bring six figures, if you count the 2 after the decimal point.

uweschmidt
Detailer

The real Value of a collector Car is not A high no Of Dollars Rubels or Pesos The real value is Measured in the width of your smile when you are driving down an old Country Road with your best
Girl by your side on a Sunny Sunday Morning and according to that knowledge some of those Carars might never be worth anything
MARK400
Intermediate Driver

Yea just when I was bidding on the 59 Corvette custom my $18 cell phone went dead. How about the top 10 nice drivers under 30k.
bblhed
Advanced Driver

I always wondered if the 200 MPH car was real and if it was really given to George Wallace. I guess this answered both those questions.
JSievers
Advanced Driver

Definitely real, but definitely not given to George Wallace, although that was the perfect closing line for one of Cosby's best routines ever.
snjbuu
New Driver

It's about the fun and satisfaction with a car . I own a 66 Big block corvette roadster. I drive it very regularly ,go on holidays with it,restored myself and know every nut and bolt of it. Between my ears I am much richer than somebody who pays 5.5 M for something he propably knows nothing about.
tadg47
Pit Crew

There are still a lot of people with more money than they know what to do with it. It is sad that these great cars will sit around some where waiting to be sold again. I'm sure they were built to be DRIVEN. But, driving them would get the tires dirty and a few miles on the odometer.

The guys that I admire are the ones who RACE these types of cars at the vintage races. Go to Dayonta this Oct. and see million dollar cars running at full speed around the track...as God had intended.
dd1
Intermediate Driver

Interesting cars but...ohh...there's just something about those Corvettes. A 'Vette is a 'Vette.
Cars4us
Pit Crew

Check that total sales number again. Mecum Kissimmee did $122.8M and Barrett-Jackson did $95M... that totals $217.8M... not $139.9M
Cars4us
Pit Crew

My apologies... I was looking at Mecum Kissimmee... not Glendale.
The_Collector
Pit Crew

All it does is make every auto body shop think they are worth what has been put into these cars and makes the price of a "driver" so high you feel guilty to put it on the road!
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

Restomods are a lot like the crypto currency of Barrett Jackson.
Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

The 10 high cost, 10 low cost, how bout the ten BEST BOUGHT and the ten BEST SOLD also?

Thanks Hagerty for the publishing theses results...
Robel
New Driver

Hi, these are all beautiful cars but out of my League. I would like to see an article about the best deals on the top auction sites.
Sk1959
Intermediate Driver

Yet another article that might interest me if I was a multi millionaire and had a million or two of play money available to spend at a car auction. C’mon Hagerty! Get real!
Eric2
Intermediate Driver

I watched Barrett-Jackson on TV for a while Saturday. They were selling 70' Chevelle SS's for $300K and one with auto trans for $200,000. A resto Chevelle had a diesel dropped in it, sold for $300K. Can you imagine driving up to the Chevelle and the driver punches it with a big black carbon cloud bellowing out the back! LOL. They had a 63' Corvette with split rear window only sold for $200K