cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick
Hagerty Employee

Test drive! Taking the 289-powered Tiger for a spin | Sunbeam Tiger engine swap project - Ep. 12

This episode wraps up about four months of work of work on the Sunbeam, with driveability issues addressed and finally escaping the confines of my neighborhood for some road testing.

Read the full story on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/test-drive-taking-the-289-powered-tiger-for-a-spin-sunbeam-tige...

3 REPLIES 3
doonich
Passenger

That was fun, good idea with the gopro.  Engine sounds great and 190 is nbd fer sure.  I had a 57 healy 100-6 decades ago with a wrecked cobra 289 engine with corvette side pipes (not the covers) and a shortened/narrowed? Ford rear end.  The axles kept breaking as they were welded.  Wish I kept the engine, didn't mind losing the car, haha.

Guitar74
Gearhead

That hipo 289 will handle 190 just fine. The 289 in my Cougar runs best around 190. I would attribute that softer bottom end to that cam. But in a Tiger? Who cares. The top end charge will more than make up for it. Glad you are getting the bugs worked out. I am glad that you are enjoying it.

spoom
Technician

Nice! Seems a perfect candidate for thermostatically controlled electric fan(s) and a tight fitting shroud to ensure they're pulling all the air through the radiator, not around it.