cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Tearing out the Austin Healey's nasty carpet | Kyle's Garage ep 25 | Hagerty Media

The 1969 Austin Healey I picked up back in June was a purchase of opportunity. A car that interested me for a price that left room for me to fix it up without going broke. The deal included a whole stash of extra parts, including a carpet kit.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/tearing-out-the-austin-healeys-nasty-carpet-kyles-garage-ep-25/
5 REPLIES 5
richard2
Pit Crew

Actually, as an owner of a 68 MGB and someone who had to replace the floor pans myself, I disagree with your first conclusion: the holes in the floor probably were not CAUSED by the metal 'floor' that was added on, they were the REASON the person tacked on that added floor. Rather than remove the original floor and weld in a new floor pan on each side, they chose to hide the issue with an additional metal piece.

The actual floor replacement is not that hard if you can buy new floor pans. Just cut out the old (you don't even have to cut it all out, just the worst parts) and then MIG weld in the new floor. Seam seal and paint with a good rust-binding primer and you are done.

Even I managed to do the job and I never welded sheet metal before (just 1/8" angle iron frame type stuff). In spite of that I managed to do a decent job once I read the proper welder settings and practiced on some scrap.

In other words, FIX IT. It's not hard, and you'll be most pleased with the job complete.
richard2
Pit Crew

Oh, one other p.s. to my previous post...
I've watched you work on this car, and it's nowhere near as rough as you think. For one thing, the seats, door panels and dash indicate it's been garage stored and is actually in pretty decent shape.

The floors are again pretty great. Except for the perforation on the driver's side and maybe a hole on the passenger side, that sheet metal is pretty darned good.

Restore the thing. Not 'concourse' finish, but remove the rust, replace only as much of the floor as is gone and badly rusted (i.e cut back to good metal and then cut the pan to fit and weld it in).

Then go drive the little car and have fun. As you find problems, fix them and carry on.
Jnick
Detailer

I have a 1960 Bugeye Sprite which was rough when I bought it, I ended up making a floorboard weld repair on the passenger side. Rather than recarpet it I decided to just make rubber floor mats which snap into the floor as originally designed. It is easy and quick to just unsnap the mats and hose them off when they get dirty, and most importantly they don’t hold moisture like rugs causing new rust issues over and over. Best of all the mats don’t dampen that beautiful exhaust roar that resonates with the car.
As far as restoration is concerned, my wife has a perfect MGB which scares the daylights out of both of us because it is a genuine piece of history. I have no reservations about driving my Sprite and I have 3 engines and transmissions standing by, almost like a racing team, these cars are practically the definition of fun!
Sajeev
Community Manager

I love the idea of snap in rubber floor mats for a British roadster.  Well done! 

BobL1
New Driver

So is this the last episode of Kyle's Garage??? I've enjoyed the real person kinda garage fixes and repairs....