cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

Teacher’s unexpected pandemic project, a 1962 Impala, is one for the books

Looking for someone to turn those COVID-19 lemons into lemonade? Jason Prince is your man. Prince, a middle-school math and science teacher, was looking for something to do with his extra time after the pandemic closed schools and classes were moved online. He found the needed occupation in a 1962 Chevrolet Impala, much to his wife’s chagrin—at first.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/teachers-pandemic-project-a-1962-impala-is-one-for-t...

23 REPLIES 23
Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

So nice to see someone that has respect for these classic cars. All too often they've been hacked up and butchered by customizers. In this case the mods are bolt ons done to the taste of the owner. Easy to restore to original or switch out for a different look. Congrats to the owner-job well done. BTW love the silver blue paint. 

Jprince333
New Driver

Appreciate it Smokefoot!

Retired
Passenger

Beautiful car.   Very interesting story, one I can relate too.  I’ve done close to the same thing with a 62 Ranchero.    Keep up the great work, they are never finished!!   Lol 

Historian
Detailer

Beautiful!

LongHood
Passenger

What a sweet story.  Thank you, Lynn, for your support.  Love the happy pics of you together with the car.

Jprince333
New Driver

Thanks Long Hood, what kind of car is that name from?  Cadillac?

The-Firebird
New Driver

This is a wonderful story. You are blessed to have a wife that understands us geek guys.

Its a beautiful car and I love the color. I would like to see some photos of the interior and dash.

Louis

Jebjive
Passenger

Love the SoCal nod, nice work Jason!

My “car-Rona” project has been a 1968 Camaro. Love to hear what the rest of the Hagerty community has been wrenching on.

cheers!

ddavis
Navigator

Great job. Beautiful car. I have a 62 Biscayne I purchased from my father who only gave it up due to health issues. He spent many years redoing body work and loving on it. Now it stays in the family and continues to be loved on. Hopefully, I will cross paths with Jason as he only lives an hour and a half from me. 

Jprince333
New Driver

Maybe at Woodward or GR MetroCruise?

RogerS
Passenger

How much money did the restoration cost. Beautiful job. I have always love the 62 wedge shape design. Really would have been cool with a 348 engine under the hood. Again great job.

sego
Intermediate Driver

Great job and thanks for sharing.

Daddygo
New Driver

My mother had several Impalas when I was growing up. She handed me the keys to her 67 four door when I got my drivers license. Patina grey just like Barretta drove in the TV series. My Covid project is a 1969 Karmann Ghia Coupe that I'm going to convert to electric drive... after I finish the wiring harness replacement, interior refreshing and the door/window seals upgraded.  If its not one thing, its another.

spoom
Technician

Impressive, looks great, and one would never know it hadn't been shot in one piece from those pictures. Love those cars, going around a sharp corner you could slide what felt like 20 feet from one side of the back seat to the other.

CVMike
New Driver

The right rear quarter panel still looks a bit sketchy. Also nice to be getting full pay for not much working thereby creating all the free time. No wonder the teachers' unions are so much in favor of continued lock-downs.

JScola1
Passenger

Great Job!  My son and I restored our 68 Impala convertible in the early 2000's and it's still on the road and I still enjoy it every time I look at it.

kcjcaroga
Passenger

What a coincidence!  I'm a substitute school teacher and was also idled in my job due to the Corona Virus.  I was also looking for a way to occupy my time.  In June, I bought a Silver Blue with Ermine White roof 1962 Impala 2 door with 283 and Powerglide from a longtime owner in with 32,000 original miles!  It had faded original paint, was very solid, and also needed carpet and some detailing.  I bought the car on the spot and drove it 150 miles home!  Over the next 3 months, I had the car stripped and painted.  Like the author, I had a friend do the paint work and did most of the rest myself.  It also took me about 3 months.  Had the car ready to use by mid-September.  I kept it mostly stock, except added dual master cylinder brakes, radial tires, alternator, and seat belts for modern driving safety concerns.  Would be happy to also provide before and after pictures of my car if possible to do so on this site.  I've always really liked '62's as first new car I remember my parents buying when I was a kid was a '62 Belair!

Jprince333
New Driver

Send me some photos of yours to princej333@gmail.com

brb
Instructor

Very impressive.  And an incredible build time.  Prince epitomizes "Just Do It!".

IACruiser
Passenger

Wonderful story about a fantastic project! I have a 62 Impala Gold Anniversary in my garage right now. Glad to see another Chevy brought back to life. Enjoy your new ride!

Jprince333
New Driver

One of my two neighbors with 62’s has the same as you, bought new by his Grandpa, with 327...62,000 original miles.

drm101
Intermediate Driver

Nice ride! I really like the color. We just finished a '63 Nova SS that I'm sure would not be done (well, done enough to drive and enjoy at least) if it hadn't been for Covid. My son is 17 and sounds just like your kids. He'll help, but it's usually under protest. He does love riding in it, though, and bugged me often this summer to take it to Woodward. I can't say no to that.

Jprince333
New Driver

Thanks for support and comments, and thanks to Jeff for writing my Spring story.  All of you that are working on your own Car-Rona project, keep at it!  It’s the only way it will get done.  PJs under the Carharts and an old coat, and get busy.  I’d like to see the photos you guys have going, especially the substitute teacher that sounds like we were doing the same car.  Thanks again!