cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storm prep: Car storage + evacuation

This native Houstonian recently dodged a bullet, so my heart goes out to everyone east of me on the Gulf Coast affected by Hurricane Laura. That said, my time protecting my classic(ish) cars from this hurricane makes a good refresher course for those who live where catastrophic flooding and high winds threatens your property every year. This will be far from a comprehensive guide, so read the comments section for words of wisdom from our Hagerty Community.

To get the ball rolling, this story’s gonna have two sides: Prepping for your classics and getting your daily driver ready in the event of an evacuation. Before we dig in, all of your property (not just cars) should be photographed before the storm, as it might be needed later to assess its pre-storm condition by an insurance claims adjuster.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/storm-prep-car-storage-evacuation/

View Entire Topic

The last thing anyone wants is their garage doors blow-in during a bad storm such as a hurricane.  This is what we do.

Whenever we have a hurricane on the way, we get as much outdoor things into our garage as possible, and the cars too.  I installed side latches/sliding locks on both the right and left sides of the garage doors, as there had only been one on each door.  I set the latches in order to lock the doors down.

Then we then take a folded-up blanket (or other soft item to act as a cushion) one of us holds the blanket against the back of the car and the other pushes the car against the garage door, and applies the parking brake.  Doing the same with the other garage door, the cars then hold pressure against the garage doors framework.  This gives the garage doors two sources in securing their protection, from inside the garage.

I would not put pressure on the doors from the outside as there isn't a frame structure to press against in that direction.  But parking a car close to the outside of a garage door would offer some additional protection.

New Driver