cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Stock Stories: 1958 Honda Super Cub | Hagerty Media

With custom bike culture exploding in recent years, the history and importance of the two-wheeled machines that first rolled off of the production line are often overlooked. Stock Stories tells the tales of these motorcycles. "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" is by now a tagline synonymous with the Japanese company's two-wheeled golden age.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/stock-stories-1958-honda-super-cub/
12 REPLIES 12
Flashman
Advanced Driver

My first vehicle was a Honda Super Cub. Not having to worry about a clutch was invaluable for a new 16-year-old driver. If you want to truly understand the concept of defensive driving, ride a lightweight bike with a 42 mph top speed in the city.
MrKnowItAll
Intermediate Driver

The ad campaign “you meet the nicest people on a Honda” was brilliant. At the time, motorcycles were perceived by the public as synonymous with motorcycle gangs- as first exploited in the 1954 movie “The Wild One”.
Honda successfully sold their “groovy little motorbike” to the mainstream.
dhaugh
Intermediate Driver

Let us not forget the popularity was so great that America's Group wrote a hit song about said Honda 50, "I'm gonna turn on the light so I can ride my Honda tonight". And this happened less than 20 years after Japan was America's arch enemy. Too bad Bagdad, Iran and others aren't smart enough to follow suit.
treefrogbeer
Pit Crew

That is a nice drawing of the engine but it is not the original motor used in the 50 and 55cc Honda's in the 50's and 60's. They were not over head cam engines. Used push rods with the cam under the crank. Said cam was also the oil pump.
JohninNC
Detailer

I have a real desire for a neat looking 70's honda, smaller displacement is fine. Just to look at, mess with, and cruise the neighborhood on... they take up so much less space than a car and can take you right back to being 12 years old.
Rider79
Instructor

The article says that the Super Cub was discontinued in 1974 in the US, but wasn't the C70/Passport the same basic bike? It was sold into the 1980's. I have a 1980 and 1981, and they are a lot of fun to ride.
Royster
New Driver

Came upon the Hondas when I moved to Burmuda in the 60's, perfect machine for an island only 25 miles long. The locals chopped them, pulled the body work, hi-bars, raked front forks & tuned up/ stroked that little mill. Looked just like mini Harley choppers, I was so taken with that little motor I bought 6 of em back to Canada. Made for a very quick go- cart. My Dad was in the aeronautics business, ( remember the Avro Arrow) & got fab guys to make up a mini chopper , with that motor & 2 speeds I really hurt myself showing off on that thing. I know at least one of those motors had SACHS engraved on the block, did Honda use Sachs or was if off another mini bike? See if I can find one of em & build me another mini bike!
Rider79
Instructor

Arctic Cat used to have a minibike with a Sachs 2-stroke, and a two-speed automatic.
SteveNL
Intermediate Driver

My first motorcycle was a 50cc Honda Sport Cub. It had the same engine, but had a pressed steel frame and gas tank that was more traditional. I bought it when I was 14 and owned it for two years, selling it upon buying a Triumph Cub. In the 1960's the world was a much freer place for teenage boys. I drove that bike all over the place. New Jersey didn't have a helmet law and didn't require liability insurance for bikes then. I kept the plate from the previous owner and the police never stopped me. I wore a helmet with goggles, which hid my age.

When I was 15, my 16 year old neighbor and I took a 150 mile interstate trip on that bike...two up. The two of us outweighed the little Sport Cub, but it made the trip. Top speed was 50 mph.

I think that the reasons I became a life long motorcyclist were the pure joy of riding that bike plus the feeling of community that I felt when older guys on big bikes gave me the wave. I still wave to other motorcyclists 55 years later.
SteveNL
Intermediate Driver

Please allow me to add that I don't condone riding a motorcycle without a license, helmet or proper insurance.  It's just one of the many stupid things that I did as a youngster.  I would never do anything like that again, but there are a lot of other stupid things that I did that I regret more.

chrlsful
Advanced Driver

now there's somebody who can draw!
chrlsful
Advanced Driver

martin squires