cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Still in its crate, this Honda CL360 is a 1970s time capsule | Hagerty Media

One of the unique quirks of motorcycles is that, unlike cars, they can be easily moved around without rolling or accumulating mileage. Even some of the best-preserved cars will have a hundred or so "delivery miles" when motorcycles can be found years or even decades after being sold with even smaller numbers on the odometer.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/still-in-its-crate-this-honda-cl360-is-a-1970s-time-capsul...
21 REPLIES 21
Solosolo
Intermediate Driver

At the end of the day this one is just going to be another Honda 360 but with low mileage. The amount of work needed to make this bike even presentable will make it more a restored bike than an original. The "crate" story is a big let down as well.
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

Found the article! Britt Motorsports was the winning bidder-
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/blog-different-strokes-found-yamaha-rd400
I had a chance to buy an in crate, brand new never removed yamaha rd400f! 2 stroke. It was at an estate sale and had been advertised, and word got out! When I pulled up I knew I was in trouble, several enclosed trailers from motorcycle shops/ dealers... I bid several times up into the high $4,000's if I remember right, but it went higher and higher. I forget what it went for but it was strong money. Wilmington NC.
gsbeliever
Pit Crew

I hope no one overpays for this. Just because a motorcycle has super low miles doesn't mean people are lining up to buy it. I had to talk a friend out of buying a Honda TwinStar once with similar mileage. "But it looks like it should be in a showroom," he exclaimed. "That may be true," I replied, "but take it from me, no one is lining up to collect Honda TwinStars."
OldCarMan
Instructor

I worked for Eastland Honda in Detroit in 1964, assembling Honda 90s and occasionally a Super Hawk. I was amazed at the thoughtfulness and quality of the bikes when putting the handlebars and all, on them. The electrical connectors were little jewels and the feel of everything was so fine compared to the US cars I was used to.
The crates were really cheap plywood and pine. Every so often as we got filled up with them we would have to truck them down to the Detroit waste incinerator. I almost blew my lunch at the smell of the place, as we waited in line on a hot summer day. Decided I would rather work in a gas station!
This is a pretty complete looking bike, but with a lot of condition issues. Wasn't rode hard, but put away very wet. Good luck on the bidding and restoration!
OldFordMan
Detailer

Maybe "barn find" has lost some its luster so now it is Bring A Crate? Always be careful, buyers!
SteveNL
Intermediate Driver

Something is happening in the marketplace with some old Honda motorcycles. If you are watching Bring A Trailer you have probably noticed. This very week, a 1967 305cc Honda Dream sold for $6,000. Another Honda Dream 305 that was in nicer condition sold for over $24,000! A couple of weeks ago, a '65 Benly 150cc sold for $10,500 on BAT. In the end of January, a very clean 1971 CB 750 sold for $33,000!! It's truly amazing.

But Honda 350s, 360s and 450s don't seem to be commanding the same interest or dollars, despite being better bikes. Two stroke bikes don't seem to be attracting big money, either. Five years ago, I sold a '71 CB 750 that was as nice as the one that recently sold for $33K, but only got $5,700. Only a few years ago, these old Hondas were being left out in the yard behind the barn. It's nice to see old Japanese bikes get some respect.

Despite it all, I will be astonished if the CL 360 in a crate attracts big money. Time will tell.
77GL
Intermediate Driver

They made so many 350's and they were only made for 6 years but it took a decade or so before the Honda 750 made as many with continuous manufacturing. 305's are hot and I've owned both a 305 and a 350 and the 350 is a much better bike. If I remember right though, Steve McQueen owned or raced a 305 and that might say it all. Maybe it's the Steve McQueen phenomenon and the loud pipes that earned motorcyclists their poser reputation.
Waterboy1KHY80
Intermediate Driver

Yes this seems strange. Back in 1984, I shipped my own 1983 CX500 Honda in an OEM shipping crate to myself in AZ. Where I was working. (you can actually ride there once in a while, unlike the frozen wasteland of N MI.) The crate I was able to get from our local Honda dealer (for those of you in the age group, N. of Chums on the West side, long gone now) was this similar steel frame / wood construction. HOWEVER, it had to be broke down, the front and rear tires were not on, along with the handlebars. Man this brings back memories.
40Ford
Detailer

In 1980 I bought a brand new still wrapped in plastic in the original wooden crate 1974 Yamaha YZ125 from my local dealer. Loaded it in my truck, still in the crate, brought home and put it together. I don’t remember what I paid for it but with a wife and 2 kids money was tight so maybe $400.

I was told that a dealer in Chicago had bought a lot of 1974 Yamahas from the factory, business wasn’t good, he filed for bankruptcy and the inventory was put in storage until the court settlement in 1980.

My wife had a small motorcycle, kids were riding minibikes at the time and as a family we did a lot of trail riding on the weekends. I never raced it and took very good care of it, still looked new.

Later we’re living in Colorado, my 2 sons racing motocross/supercross with Yamaha and local dealer sponsorship, as well a Scott, O’Neal and others.

In 1984 our dealer wanted to buy my YZ125. He said Yamaha Corp was looking for the best 1974 YZ125 around to be put in the company lobby next to the new 1984 YZ125 for their “10 Years Of Progress” display. He never asked what I wanted just offered $2,000, sold!

A couple months later he showed me a photo of the “10 Years Of Progress” display, very cool! Sad I didn’t get a copy of the photo.
Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

Really? In a crate?
I was gonna say, what a "shame..." but it appears to me to be more of a "sham..."
OkJustOneMore
Intermediate Driver

Be careful on this one. .... A 400F super sport or a CB750 it aint.
D2H
New Driver

I bought a new 1970 175CL in Tokyo coming back from Vietnam. Had never even been on a bike before. Yep--big wooden crate. Rode it from Albuquerque to Juarez stopping for gas twice each way on reserve. Top speed about 70, but a bit higher drafting semis. High front fender and same-look high exhaust. Still have brochure in English and photos are the same metallic blue. While in Germany, in 1975 bought a 350F with Euro specs--amber brake lights, headlight, kilometer gauges, and in a non-US import color of silver. Bike now has but 2200 km, with a Bates fairing, leather bags, and a stubby backrest. I've spent more on keeping it up than the bike cost. But, love it. Wish I'd kept the 1970, but sold it enroute to Germany in 1973.
77GL
Intermediate Driver

The crates I've seen from that vintage were a lot smaller, wood, and the bike wasn't that put together and were wrapped in plastic.
DaveA
Detailer

Very cool story. It’s a shame about the crate though. This would have been much more interesting if it was the original crate.
JamesAlan
New Driver

I find it interesting that some folks knock the potential value of something like this CL. Keep in mind that classic cars and bikes are unique. It may be just a shade of paint (which can be factory original with varying degrees of sun exposure) to wear and tear as well as repairs. While there are many CL 360s out there none are exactly like this one. Buyers are the same way. I for one love little British sports cars from the 50s and 60s. Those of you out there who have more brain cells than I may detest these cars. Buying a 2021 F 150 is open for value judgement since there will be thousands of identical vehicles but 20 years from now not so much. We've all heard that a classic is worth what someone will give you.
Biminitwist
New Driver

There's a BIG difference between being in a crate and "Still in the Crate" headline. Just sets up the entire sale as suspect. Wouldn't trust this guy.
Carguy2
New Driver

I think it will sell for $11,360
Rider79
Instructor

I bought a new (in 1977) 1975 CB360, and it was a great midsize (in that era) motorcycle. Never liked the scrambler-style pipes of the CL as well as the street pipes of the CB.
56Tiger
Pit Crew

I was a field rep for Honda from 1986-2000. We had motorcycles assigned to our French Camp parts center in Northern California, to use for our motorcycle safety courses. We did have a couple of bikes that were still crated, that were not used for the courses. When we finally decided to get them out of inventory, they were about 10 or 15 years old. Sadly, they were only available to our dealers- the one I was interested in was a Motorsport 250. The local dealer wanted a crazy price once it was his, that I could not afford. Finds like these are rare and usually way overpriced.
brb
Instructor

I'd call "in the crate" on this one a lie. Barn find works.

Back in the 70's Honda was reputed to have flooded the market with CB750's to the point that dealers had crated bikes in inventory years after the model had moved on. I've always wondered as to the truth in that.
OLDERbastard1
Detailer

Depending on what year, what model bike, what Factory they came from, the "ORIGINAL" crates are/can be different! Some Japanese bikes were actually shipped to dealers from the United States. All "NEW IN CRATE" bikes required some "PDI". You could NEVER find a NEW IN CRATE bike assembled completely "Ready to ride". Period! Every bike holds different sentimental value to different people, rather than bashing the ones you don't like, lets respect each other & stick together as enthusiasts!