cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Spied: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Spy photos of the the upcoming 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1, taken, just outside of Ford’s Dearborn, Michigan, development facility, reveal a few more tidbits beyond the initial announcement. Its camouflaged tail panel and fascia are hiding the cosmetic changes that are coming, as we expect the fog lights to get reworked to differentiate this mid-tier V-8 model from the GT. What’s more difficult to hide is the prominent decklid-mounted spoiler that looks like the same piece found on the Shelby models.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/spied-2021-ford-mustang-mach-1/

39 REPLIES 39
Carguy53
Passenger

The wheels are ugly as sin. They look like a copy of Mazda or Toyota SUV style. They should use a magnum style wheel look to work with the ever lasting original body look, that still come s through. Take modern geometric dazzling wheels and put on an original mustang from 60's or 70's and it looks awful as well. 

Shag
Passenger

I would agree these wheels do not add but subtract from the overall astetics
OHUQTU
New Driver

This is a camo test mule - wheels mean nothing on this type of car.

cdkrek
Intermediate Driver

Wheels may be close to production intent but I am sooooo sick of black wheels.  Hope the production tires fill the fenders better than PP2 tires.

TKDMaster
Pit Crew

Hmmmmm; wonder how NASCAR will handle that odd slope underneath the rear spoiler, really different than any other car, my guess is that it will cause some very unpredictable handling, not sure if good or bad.  If either too good or too bad, they will alter it using the rules. 

1d1a2d2a
Pit Crew

Sorry but l have to agree. Retro, then do it Mach 1 is a speed not a look.

this car and that uncomplimentary finish doesn't say anything except wrong.

1d1a2d2a
Pit Crew

What is that! Bug screen? I am sorry this is not working at all.

MoparMan
Advanced Driver

I agree with Carguy53 on the wheels, I'm not impressed with them at all (aside from the fact that I prefer chrome/machined finishes). It occurred to me that with all of the ongoing personalization, it seems that the use of "camouflage" to disguise upcoming chances serves to pique the interest of the causal observer. If the car were unmasked, it would probably draw a lot less attention. Maybe unrealistic, I know, but just a thought.

balzanr
New Driver

Here is my question----    What lucky **bleep** gets to drive those test mules ???

jekirkbride
Intermediate Driver

and get paid for it!

okfoz
Detailer

I know people who work at the GM proving grounds, and they drive Corvettes, Camaros and all sorts of things.  There are two teams, one team drives on the proving grounds the other drive them on public roads. 
It was funny, I remember talking to one who goes to my church and he basically said, after a while it is just another car.  He used to want to get in the performance cars and go for a spin, but after a while, the nice luxury vehicles are more popular. 

Mobile1948
New Driver

Not worth looking at as there’s no VIDEO......! 

themill
Passenger

I thought they were going electric.

okfoz
Detailer

That would be the Mach-E

exford
Pit Crew

That's the comment that typifies exactly why Ford should not have used the Mustang name with their new electric SUV. Checkmate.

DarrellT
New Driver

Roofline and windows in that side profile shot sure remind me of a new 911 from bottom of the windshield to end of the back deck.
JSievers
Advanced Driver

At $50K plus the Mach one is fast approaching the cost of a new Corvette. 

tahend
Detailer

I agree.  We went and looked at a Kia Stinger GT2 this weekend.  52k!!!!!  If you want to go fast you have to have every bell and whistle(no choice anymore).  I looked at the manufacture sticker and the car weighs 5100 lbs.  That is how much my 2004 dodge ram 1500 weighs.

HGdude
Passenger

The Stinger does not weigh 5,100 pounds, it's about 4,100 (quite typical for a large AWD sedan)!  Any idiot could figure out that you're looking at the GVWR...

FEFranco
Passenger

Where’s the SHAKER???

okfoz
Detailer

From what I have seen, for 2021, the Mustang lineup will be eliminating the GT350 complete, so you will be left with the Ecoboost, GT, Mach 1 and the new for 2020 GT500.  The void of the GT350 will in part be filled with the new Mach 1, which I suspect will be more of a middle ground.   The Bullitt was  more or less a GT with the PP2 package and 20 extra ponies, which actually you can get the tune from the Bullitt on any 19-20 GT from Ford, and retain your warranty.  There were a few things on the Bullitt that made it unique other than the badges, but if you "build your own" you could load up a PP2 and get everything on the Ford website... 
I hope the Mach 1 is a bigger step from the GT than the Bullitt, we will have to see...   One thing that I have seen is the Mach 1 will get a specific 5.0 engine, what is different about it, or whether or not it is just a tune is yet to be seen.

Mechanic39
New Driver

Please tell me the Standard trans isn't one of those CHINESE made crap transmissions used from 2011 to 2019 that are now the subject of some 5 Class Action law suits?

SHAME on you FORD!

Teuffelhunden
Pit Crew

Ford has never really had a decent manual transmission have they? I had a "beefed up" T-5 World Class on the shelf and hung it under my Shell Valley AC Cobra kit car and it was a boat anchor within a month. Sure I'm pushing a little over 490 'Keith Craft Ponies' but the car is so light the tires rarely hooked up stressing the tranny. It was simply banging through the gears that did it. Great job Ford and I agree... Chinese? SHAME ON YOU!

Ottoknut
New Driver

Can it really be considered a Mach 1 without a hood scoop?

scottt51
New Driver

I agree, a Mach1 needs a functional shaker hood scoop. 

Kurtbob
New Driver

I like the big red “eject” button on the dash ... or is that for the afterburner?

cammerjeff
New Driver

Wow you actually like those wheels? I guess tastes vary. I think they look busy, fragile and overdone.

mwmyers91
Detailer

The more Mustangs the better, the more Ponies the better.

I would like to see a aggressive hood scoop gulping fresh air.

BlakeX2
Pit Crew

In my youth as a Detroit boy (mid 60's), I always looked forward to see what the September presentations for the new offering looked like both in terms of Appearance and performance.

My initial excitement was tempered with the realization that the new Mach 1 appears to be a 'warmed over refresh of the same chassis and minor tweaks to the body panels.

It costs a lot of money to think things through and then commit to the many millions of tooling, logistics, supply chain and maintenance for a new 'sport transportation unit'.

I am concerned that Detroit has 'lost the bubble' in providing something other than a pig with a new color lipstick.

Message to Detroit:

Please do better.

Your fortunes and those of America are held in the balance.

83ragtop50
Intermediate Driver

It is still butt ugly no matter what name they put on it. I have owned Mustangs since 1970 but will not buy something that looks like this. 

Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

The Mach 1 nameplate is a lot cooler than the Bullitt one. Who wants to drive around like a Steve McQueen wannabe every day and have big stupid "Bullitt" badges all over your car and staring you in the face on your steering wheel? With the Mach 1 you don't have that stigma. Instead it's a cool retro-revival badge / package. You are are a wannabe you.

It would be a cool touch to have a shaker scoop on it. Though not required. I often think of the 71 - 73 Mustangs when I read "Mach 1" and no shaker scoops on them. 

bemrfst
Intermediate Driver

They did have air scoops and some with ram air!!!

Punk
Detailer

Not sure which is better. Going as fast as a speeding Bullitt or the speed of sound! I suspect its that the film Bullitt is retreating further into the past and out of the minds of young buyers today, whereas Mach 1 is a timeless name.

merlebalke
Detailer

Who'd want to drive around in a Bullitt? I would. Why not.

BA4
New Driver

The Bullitt has minimal emblems. The only ones visible are one on the rear and steering wheel. It’s suppose to have the minimalist look. No running horse badges other than the wheel center caps. No fog lights or spoiler. I personally am a fan of the original 1968 Highland green color. Part of the fun is most do not know what it is. Yes I do have one. I also like the idea of the Mach 1 making a comeback.

bemrfst
Intermediate Driver

Where is the shaker hood scoop?  It is not a mach1 with out one!! Even the lowliest mach1s had a fake air scoop...

BWeston
Intermediate Driver

...looks like these pics were all shot on Rotunda Drive - between Snow Rd. and Oakwood Blvd. in West Dearborn - across from the Ford Engineering Buildings.  Drove through there every day of school year back in high school - at Edsel Ford High School - a few hundred yards further down Rotunda...in my 1967 Mercury Cougar with 289 V8 4 bbl...the good old days!

wendy834gt
Pit Crew

It's gotta have the shaker hood. Looks like SHE is driving a stick...Real cars have 3 pedals. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

I want to see a shaker hood! I actually like the mid 00 Mach 1 from an aesthetic point of view.