cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smithology: VOCs, and voices, from distant outposts.

Last year, some friends gave me a helmet.

At least, it felt like they gave me a helmet. What they really gave me was new paint on a helmet I already owned. My six-month-old Impact full-face, made new with shape and gloss, the gift not just pigment but labor and thought.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/smithology-vocs-and-voices-from-distant-outposts/

Replies (10)

Replies (10)

Sam, I still don't really understand what Hagerty does (other than sell insurance) or why you're here, but you should point out to them I only found their site because I was looking for you.  Well, technically your writing

Passenger

Sam, sorry to hear you've left R&T. But glad to know you're here and writing.

Passenger

I was thoroughly disappointed when I read that you had left R&T. Your column was the #1 thing I looked forward to every month, and your articles were equally brilliant. 

I am going to miss your articles in R&T, but it looks like your talents in the Smithology column live on. This was yet another piece that was incredibly moving and reflective, as your writing often is. Thank you. 

New Driver

I got into SCCA racing back in the 80s. A younger brother, a talented artist who loves old school hot rods, turned it into my racing spirit. I haven't needed it in 30 years. It still lives in my closet.

Passenger

Sam, keep that helmet near and dear to your heart. Back in the early '70s I owned a bargain basement white get the job done lid for riding on two powered wheels. My Dad, a great artist in my very biased opinion, looked at that expanse of white as an unfinished canvas. He painted a country scene as if it was a 180 degree view of road. I loved it, but later I also found someone I loved. Now there was another basic white skull-bucket hanging from my handle bars. Of course my Dad grabbed that raw plastic canvas and finished it of 1,2,3. When put front to front, those two helmets made a complete 360 view of the Western New York countryside. Great writing on your part and, as the song goes, "Thanks for the memories..."

Passenger

NIce piece.  Well written, and moving, too.  Thank you!

Pit Crew

THANKS!  I also have a handful of old, expired helmets sitting around.  First couple stark white, newer ones painted as I felt I was Worthy (still cringe at the price of new tires, though!).  New workshop is nearly done (I'm still putting stuff away) but I now know that I need a shelf out there for the HELMETS, and maybe a few photos and old Trophies!  THANKS for the inspiration...

Navigator

Throw out a helmet? I still have the one they gave us many years ago at the Dunlop Challenge--never could figure out the brand and no Snell number to be seen. I suspect it'll be up to my son to discard when I take the final checker.

Passenger

Sam, Welcome to a new world. We still miss you at Windy City BMW events. Barbara & Larry

Passenger

Stashed deep in a closet my father has a 45 year old sparkly metalflake blue dune buggy helmet. It has ignited dreams since I was a child.

This article made me remind him about it.

Detailer