cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smithology: The best laid schemes of 914s and snow boots

We have been down so long that I’m making plans.

Forgive me for mentioning the calendar. Where are we now—four weeks? A hundred? Time flies when you’re having fun. When you’re stuck indoors during a global health lockdown, time wobbles a little on takeoff, then suffers structural failure at the wing roots and pinwheels into a tree. Last Wednesday felt like a month. Friday deeply resembled an entire year. Saturday grew whiskers and sat in a corner talking about its great-grandbabies to anyone who would listen. Which is partly why I walked into the kitchen on Sunday morning and proceeded to cook three eggs, a stack of bacon, and a family-size frozen pizza, and then apply that whole mess directly to my face.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/smithology-the-best-laid-schemes-of-914s-and-snow-boots/

Replies (6)

Replies (6)

I'm sure a lot of folks followed Mr. Sam to Hagerty, as someone has already commented.  He's the genius of not being the genius, amongst many other things good and great.  I take heart that his many readers will soon be able to find him back out on the open road.

Pit Crew

Love that ending poem. My own fantasy last weekend was I sat down with Google maps and designed my month-long cross-country road trip, thinking about what stops I'd make, which friends I would lean on for free lodging, how long to linger at each place. 

Hagerty Employee

Far and away, the best writer in the business. Sam, for the sake of your readers, please do not try to fix anything about you; it's all great the way it is.

Passenger

...aaand this is why I followed Sam to Hagerty. (My ideas:  Aeronca Champ on straight floats/gutting a pristine S550 Mustang and turning it into a Time Trial car/race suspension on my Electra Glide Standard)

New Driver

wow. this is my life exactly.

Passenger

We are currently in the process of buying a BMW Z3 convertible. It has been a great diversion this strange time we are in. This article really spoke to me. Thanks!

Pit Crew