cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Smithology: Boom, bust, and the roar of the crowd | Hagerty Media

Habemas stockam, as the Romans would have said: We have a new NASCAR Cup car, unveiled last week. A new mechanical pope for America's largest motorsport religion, a redesigned stock car for the sport's highest level, a new beast for Dega and Daytona. Perhaps you are excited. Statistically speaking, you're probably not.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/smithology/smithology-boom-bust-roar-crowd-nascar-cup-car/
25 REPLIES 25
S2kChris22
Pit Crew

I’ll be hyper pedantic: Sprint bought Nextel, not the other way ‘round.
Historian
Detailer

Forever done with NASCAR and their political crap. Bubba Wallace was the final straw. He thinks he is some sort of Wendell Scott, but he isn't fit to shine Wendell Scott's shoes. THAT, was a man to admire! Not some whiny little loser who plays the race card to cover the fact that he sucks as a driver. Add in plans to make everyone's cars alike, and move to electric cars, and all I do is yawn.
Spoiler_Alert
New Driver

Diversity is still good to the all white drivers. Wallace has talent whether he has the equipment is a question.
Historian
Detailer

Talent??  Talent for losing, running his mouth and whining like a little racist girl.  He's had good equipment, he just doesn't know how to use it.

OldRoad
Instructor

Your right about Wendell Scott. He showed up to race with cars built out of a junk yard when everyone else was blessed with factory backing. The amazing truth was he was competitive in just about every race. He was a fine driver and his mechanical skills were legendary. Shame on NASCAR.
Historian
Detailer

Amen!  And from what I have heard from people who met him, was even though he experienced REAL racism (as opposed to the phony kind Wallace whines about), Scott remained a true gentleman to the end.

JonMiller
Intermediate Driver

Are you using the Latin dictionary from Roadrunner and Coyote?
I'm looking forward to the new cars because I enjoy racing and I have for many years. I used to think it would be awesome to see a Colonnade-era or last run G- body on a modern chassis and call it a Cup Classic. That would still be fun, but it would not be authentic. It would be a cover-band playing NASCAR's greatest hits. I'm ready for something new and I want it to be loud!
spark123
Intermediate Driver

NASCAR has turned inro IROC, but worse. They have taken the innovation and creativity out of it. They lost me when they started with the next gen cars. LET THE TEAMS DESIGN THE CARS!!
Then they came up with this whole halftime crap and the leader does not necessarily win?? They turned the whole thing into crap!
RichL
New Driver

Guess I'll be a contrarian. While the next generation car isn't a Formula 1 or an SCCA car, it still is a fairly significant change from the past (at least in my opinion). And as to the same people winning the races over and over again, that seems to have changed this year. Or haven't you paid any attention to that? The best I will say about the mess surrounding the Bubba Wallace to-do is NASCAR was in a position to loose lots of sponsorships or be a victim of the cancel culture. Also, the going round and round in the same direction kicking up dust has significantly changed this year with the addition of several road course races.

We've seen these kind of articles before. They are prejudiced toward the F1 and sports car community. So, why don't we just forget about all the "muscle cars" and the others of the pre-1980s and consider them dinosaurs that need to now be ignored (to pander to the Gen Xers and later) generations; or maybe start a new publication aimed at 1980s and later so we "older folks" don't have to put up with those younger people running around in a carbon-copy "sports car" with a fart-busting (or is it fart-buzzing) exhaust (that sounds about as fake as many "reality" TV shows today).
pickles_468
Pit Crew

I left when the point system changed years ago. Resetting points during the season makes as much sense resetting the score at halftime in the NFL. Making a team give up a points lead they earned throughout the season is ridiculous.
ncode429
Pit Crew

Same here! A great example is ‘ol 7 time’ Jimmie Johnson, would have only 4 titles under the old points system. Still a good accomplishment. But shows how great what Petty and Earnhardt did.
Smokefoot55
Pit Crew

Making the cars look more like production cars is a step in the right direction. What they need to do is race real "stock cars" like they did in the old days. Take a production car and gut it. Then add safety equipment and limit suspension and drivetrain mods. Basically turn a street car into a race car like they used to do.
MoparMarq
Detailer

Meh...
ROBBO99
Intermediate Driver

I stopped watching when Dale earnhardt was killed in 2001 .
dbraun99
Pit Crew

Perfect use of the phrase "champing at the bit". You sir, are a literary scholar, seriously.

~and~

"Their drivers are required to work hard and not suck at adult choices." True.

But nothing fixes the fact that NASCAR is a soap opera for men.
danhise
Intermediate Driver

I'm a frequent commenter in the Smith World. Or have been. I submitted a comment on this NASCAR piece; it was posted; now it has disappeared. Am I under a requirement as to how many comments I am allowed to make on this site?
Sajeev
Community Manager

I am sorry to hear this happened! I will PM you a few questions so our team can run a diagnostic to see what happened! 

CarsDogsBeer
Pit Crew

Same here. I just figured it was because I'm kind of a smartass. But I didn't use nasty words or anything.
red-on-red
Intermediate Driver

I gave up on NASCAR back when Ford was racing a Taurus 2-door, V8, rear wheel drive, and calling it a stock car.
The option is now there to race truly stock Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers, right out of the box, like in the 1950s. These are real American, stock, cars. I would even sit down and watch the whole race, and root for my favorite brand and driver. I would even watch the commercials.
No Toyotas please, I don't care how much money they have.
OldRoad
Instructor

Yes, no ToyoTRDs. Camry has never been rear drive or had V8 power. Don't believe TRD has ever produced a factory pushrod V8. Guess NASCAR pushed the required homologation process aside for cash. Coarse NASCAR threw away a legitimate standard for entering a car company's entry into the sport along time ago for cash. TRD's cup engine is a copy cat joke too.
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Habemas stockam, as the Romans would have said: We have a new NASCAR Cup car, unveiled last week. A new mechanical pope for America's largest motorsport religion, a redesigned stock car for the sport's highest level, a new beast for Dega and Daytona. Perhaps you are excited. Statistically speaking, you're probably not.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/smithology/smithology-hed-tkk-tkktk-tktk/
Flashman
Instructor

This is one of the best takes on NASCAR I've ever read; such a pleasure. I especially like the comparison to the Catholic church. I am not a NASCAR fan; I belong to an even more obscure sect of racing fandom: F1. Your words are so true without being catty. I might quibble with you putting Ettore Bugatti's comment about Bentleys into quotation marks. The actual word he used was lorries, not trucks.
danhise
Intermediate Driver

I followed NASCAR for years, but mainly followed a driver. When he retired, so did I. There was no successor that stood out. The cult of personality may be poisonous in national politics, but it is nearly everything in NASCAR. I did not admire Earnhardt the Elder, but he fascinated me nonetheless. He had a nickname, for one thing, and it was a doozy. Need I say that we have not looked on his like since he died in battle, boots on and pistols drawn? Yeah, I'm articulating the obvious, but I do that a lot. Even so, all the papal edicts in the world will not save the Church if there is no savior to step up, or roar up, and make it clear: "We ain't gonna survive unless we start acting like middle linebackers. Make a boast, boys, not friends. We may have survived Jimmie Johnson, but we ain't gonna survive Harvin and Hamlin."

I think of Las Vegas, back when the marketing geniuses advised the gambling halls to sell "Vegas for the family." It didn't work, and shouldn't have.
CarsDogsBeer
Pit Crew

"Their drivers are required to work hard and not suck at adult choices..." Tee hee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvabpyErNNY
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/smithology/smithology-boom-bust-roar-crowd-nascar-cup-car/