cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skipping generations: Bronco clay modeler keeps it in the family

One look at the new Bronco is enough to demonstrate that Ford’s reborn off-roader bears a family resemblance to the original boxy brute from 1966. Family, however, is a bigger part of that story than you might think. Molly Gillies, a clay modeler in Ford’s design department who worked on the 2021 model, isn’t the first of her kin to shape a Bronco into physical form. Her grandfather, Frank DeBono, was hired as a clay modeling supervisor at Ford in 1958. He was part of the team that brought the original ’66 model to life.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/skipping-generations-bronco-clay-modeler-keeps-it-in-the-family/

Replies (7)

Replies (7)

This story could be put together as a Super-bowl level Ford commercial.

Passing the tools, passing the passion. Bronco.

Detailer

Love the shots of her grandfather's tools. A bittersweet launch indeed ... 

Hagerty Employee

Fantastic.  Congratulations Molly - condolences too; tough time for sure, but such wonderful memories.  With two parents struggling with dementia, but knowing they recognize me, your Grandfather knew you were following in his footsteps and that is really special.

Pit Crew

This is such a great story!   Thanks for including a picture of my book in the article.  If I ever do an updated edition, I'll have to add the details about Frank's passing on the launch date of the Bronco and Molly's following in his footsteps.

Pit Crew

Great story...I am 79 yr s old and still have many of my Dad's tools he had in his shop and where I fell in love with cars, trucks and any thing mechanical

New Driver

Great story. So special to pass this passion on within generations! And to be able to use the same tools.

Passenger

Awesome 

New Driver