cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nathan
Hagerty Employee

Scoring this 1970 Mustang Mach 1 was like finding a needle in a haystack

As excited as Ford Mustang fans are about the new Mach1, there ain’t nothing like the real thing, baby. That’s why Chris Lott searched long and hard for a 1970 Mach 1 just like the one his father owned when he dated his mother in the late ’70s.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/scoring-this-1970-mustang-mach-1-was-like-finding-a-...

19 REPLIES 19
Truthworldwide
Intermediate Driver

That's the story we need right now. Chris, you're one of the good guys. 

Ducknuts
Pit Crew

Great work Chris, you restored an awesome classic Mustang and your parents should be proud of you and their new Mach I. I now I would be, because I had a 1970 Mach I that my parents bought me.

Forester
Pit Crew

Great story.  Your parents must really be something special to raise boys like you guys!!!  They are blessed.

TJS
Passenger

Awesome story & very nice car!!! I have always loved Mustangs. However, I purchased a 68 Mercury Cougar in 1970 which I dated my wife in. We still have it & enjoy taking it for periodic cruises. Of course, our son is looking forward to the day he inherits it. I truly love the stories in your site! Thank you!!

Watersmeet
Pit Crew

Now there is a car guy and good guy.

Jim

TDASmith455
Pit Crew

So absolutely cool!  What a tribute to them, and BIG props to you and your family!!

rmytych
New Driver

Awesome story. I still have my Mustang that I took my wife on our first date in 1982.

SS
New Driver

What a terrific gift to give to your parents. Chris, you should be very proud that you were able to pull this off and present this car to your parents. As a parent myself with boys around your age I'd would have cried seeing the reveal. I got a little misty eyed when you were doing the reveal and saw the expressions of your mom and dad. Outstanding work! Your parents should be very proud of you. It took you allot of planning and obviously allot of money to do what you did. My hat goes off to your loving wife who stood by you and probably encouraged you along the way. Its wives like her that help us muscle heads enjoy our passion. But to see you go through what you did for that period of time is fantastic. I'd vote you "son of the century". Giving back to your parents a vehicle of that nice calibre is a test of your true family values. You were brought up with proper morals and ethics which you don't see too often these days. There was certainly allot of searching for that "right "or "proper" vehicle that would be the closest vehicle to what they had. You pulled this off. There was a comment to Mark which, I presume was your brother? Mentioning him was a class act also as he would have approved of what you did. I'm a 63 year old Canadian living in Northern Ontario and love hearing and seeing this type of storey. You documented this in true fashion and your parents should be very proud of you your wife and all the other individuals involved. Outstanding and utmost classy. if you're ever in Northern Ontario Canada look us up. I'll take you for a ride in my 1970 Chevelle SS 396! This car was the one I wanted when I was in grade 12. Sorry but I wasn't a Ford guy.

I tip my hat to you sir! Cheers and hope your dad is tearing up the pavement. Hope he lets you drive it too. God love ya! Cheers.

Craig Anderson

North Bay ON

Canada

sego
Intermediate Driver

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful Mustang!

okfoz
Detailer

Thanks for sharing, love it!

rootine4
Pit Crew

I have dreamed about doing this for my dad. His car was a 1966 Mustang GT convertible. 4bbl 289 dual exhaust. Pony interior. White top with a kind of burnt orange paint. He sold it to a guy out in Alberta. I passed on the chance to buy it and keep it in the family. At the time, I didn't think I wanted a convertible but now own a 2013 427 Collector's Edition and think there is nothing as amazing as a drop top, performance V8 driving experience. Yes, I apologized to my dad! 

Ski
New Driver

Fantastic!  My dad had a 1952 Ford F100 when I was a kid when he owned a Texaco gas station back in the day.  He sold it when he sold the Texaco.  I was too young to keep it at the time but would have loved keeping it, restoring and giving it back to him before he died.  Great story!!

billyt
Pit Crew

Good job young man. You were raised correctly.  

carnut48
Passenger

Great story! It so happens, my '69 Mustang Mach 1 that I ordered from FORD was also lime gold as FORD called it (light green) like your parents car. I so wish I could track down my car after all these years but without the VIN, there is no possible way. You probably had the VIN for their car. My car also may have been a rare combination: 428 CJ, no ram air, no p/s, 4 speed. It probably would be worth many $$$.

Datsun320
Passenger

Great stuff 

carguyjim
Detailer

I feel warm and fuzzy now!!

Good thing this car is a stick so it won't have the automatic shifter used for like 50 years at Ford, even in the pinto.... Do the Mustang and the Pinto share chassis? 

jthulin
Passenger

Nice!  This is what being a car guy is all about. What a great project and a greater gift.

KenJen
Pit Crew

Awesome story!  I have many cars in my past and my dad's past that I would absolutely LOVE to have back, mostly the 1957 Chevy Bel Air 2-door post with a 283 2X4 barrel carb and three-on-the-tree!  I did inherit my dad's last "pride and joy" 1977 Chevy El Camino when he passed in 2010.  Thank you for sharing stories like this one with me!

Norman1945
Passenger

As the previous owner of a 1970 Boss 302 the same color green I can see that you did a beautiful job restoring that Mustang Mach 1. Great car. I am jealous as I sold mine 25 years ago and would love to have it back. I hope Dad and Mom enjoy the Mustang. I know I would.