cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam, a 14-year-old car enthusiast, seeks your advice

We have an ever-increasing and quickly-diversifying fanbase over at the Hagerty Community, and sometimes a member poses a question worthy of wider distribution. As a 14-year-old car enthusiast looking for guidance from more experienced enthusiasts as he navigates today’s automotive landscape, Sam is one such person that deserves special recognition. His passion for cars goes just as deep as those reading this article, and we hope you’ll give him some advice in the comments … as he will be reading them!

Read the full article on Hagerty.com and help Sam out:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/sam-a-14-year-old-car-enthusiast-seeks-your-advice/

View Entire Topic

Sam, oh Sam; where do I begin?

To quote Val Kilmer as 'Doc' Holliday in, "Tombstone", "...he reminds me of, Me!"

Don't let anyone talk you out of a Corvair, just NOT as a First Car!

The car was a bold experiment, got a Lot of Love early on, had some issues, but in any early iteration of Political Correctness, was persecuted and put to death...

That said, there are Corvair Clubs all over the Country, and those who race them, do so with Gusto!

"Flippin' Burgers at McDonald's" is a fine pursuit for someone your age; all kinds of lessons and skills to be learned, behaviors to be observed, people to meet and work with and for; All Good!

As a Country, we have all but eliminated Auto Shop, as now we barely MAKE anything, and most can't FIX anything.  So find a Car Club that will allow you to hang around, listen intently, do some parallel research into whatever vehicles they covet, collect, and preserve, and ask a LOT of questions...

I, too, am fascinated with History, and have written Articles and Edited Newsletters for Car and Motorcycle Clubs I have been involved with, and in a strange twist-of-fate, have edited 4 Fiction Novels; for my former High School English Teacher...

My first 'legal' car, purchased AFTER I got my Driver's License, was a '64 GTO, Red with Black Buckets, and like the song says, "...Three Deuces and a Four-Speed, and a Three-Eighty-Nine!"  This was followed by a whole litany of What's What from the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and beyond.  When I was in High School, everybody wanted a new Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, Charger, Challenger, 'Cuda...

I wanted a Chopped Deuce 5window...

Located one, negotiated a deal, 'Flat Towed' it to a garage I rented for $10mo, and it took the next 5yrs to build.  I 'rebuilt' that car 5x since, only to sell it to Richard Rawlins of Fast N' Loud a couple years back...

All you need is that Job, the Tools my fellow Responders suggest, spending some time reading, travelling, learning, and enjoying what's out there...

YOU can DO THIS!

Pit Crew