cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Safety requirements-not tips-when using floor jacks and jack stands | Hagerty Media

After a ratchet-and-socket set, box-end wrenches, and screwdrivers, the most commonly used automotive DIY tools are probably a floor jack and a set of jack stands. Whether you're changing a flat tire, replacing brake pads and rotors, or performing work under the vehicle that requires it to be raised for clearance or comfort, it's important to understand that the functions of floor jack and jack stands are tightly intertwined.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-hack-mechanic/safety-requirements-not-tips-when-using-floo...
10 REPLIES 10
FatBabyDriver
Intermediate Driver

Thanks for writing this; this is the kind of stuff I obsess over when working on the car. Most of the time I'm just inspecting the brakes and suspension before and after track days. For extra safety I put the wheels under the frame rails as soon as they are off the car.
audiocage
Detailer

Is that a hockey puck?
thehackmechanic
Detailer

You got a PROBLEM with that?

(yes. I use hockey pucks all the time for this.)
bradfa
Intermediate Driver

At the end in the summary paragraph you say, "do not double-jack the car" but I think you meant to say the opposite, that you should double jack the car.
thehackmechanic
Detailer

Whoops! Thanks!
relton
Detailer

Rob, if you pick up the car on your low rise lift, do you feel the need to put stands under it as well?
thehackmechanic
Detailer

That's a great question, especially since, due to operator error on my part, I once did have the mid-rise lift depressurize. I don't use jackstands--they're not tall enough--but if I'm working under it for extended periods, I'll put a wheel and tire under it as a last-ditch fail-safe.
compaqdeskpro
Intermediate Driver

My R3 which is a very light motorcycle managed to put a hole in a parking lot on a piping hot day, I would keep a small floormat in my backpack.
RJ
Intermediate Driver

I have 3 pairs of Walker ratchet-type stands that I bought in the '60s and have used daily since then. They were a financial hardship at the time, but I never regretted it. Being semi-paranoid I may be excessively careful when placing the stands, but on the other hand - I'm still here. When placing the stands under the car I extend them part way before shoving them under. If the jack failed, the stand could damage the car, but better the car than myself. I use the push-broom to pull them out when finished, just because.
RJ
Intermediate Driver

Also - when going for maximum lift on both ends of the car, I go in stages. More work - less danger.