cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roger Penske: “Trust me, we are going to run it with fans” for this year’s Indy 500

Roger Penske has told Racer that the 2020 Indy 500 will race with fans in the stands — no matter what. This news comes on the heels of a recent announcement that the upcoming Indy/NASCAR doubleheader on July 4-5 will be a racer's only event. That was a necessary precaution during the COVID-19 pandemic in order to protect the opportunity to run the 500 but was still not what fans wanted to hear after sitting idle during this hiatus in motorsports.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/roger-penske-trust-me-we-are-going-to-run-it-with-fans-for...

Replies (21)

Replies (21)

Wow. Lots of anti-Roger rhetoric here. Sure he’s richer than God but he’s been a genuine racer since 1957. There will be an incredible utilization of communication technology at the Speedway when the 500 happens. Fan movement will be guided by 5G cellular as to when and where they enter and exit. Crowding at concessions and bathrooms (!) will be managed as well, to keep some measure of social distancing. Masks, of course, are mandatory. If August is declared untenable, the race will be held in October, fans being Penske’s firm requirement to stage the race. Beside the long-overdue improvements to the facilities , there are plans to bring endurance racing and a return of F1. So get off all this Roger-hating BS. 

New Driver

Penske might know something about racing, but he doesn't know #### about virology. Totally idiotic comment.

New Driver

Leave it to the "Captain" to do it right. You go Roger, go! 

Passenger

Haters will hate. Life is all about showing up.

Pit Crew

I would bet that Mr. Penske has reviewed this with the appropriate people to make an educated decision.  The problem is that depending on what you believe, you can find  data and reasoning on the internet to support any position, on anything.  But I am in full support of his decision.  

New Driver

Roger made his fortune by working hard and smart.  He's not like the constantly lying  rich **bleep** in DC with the big mouth who truly thinks he can rule the world that inherited from his con artist forefathers.    I think we can safely predict that this Penske business venture will be very successful for the racing enthusiasts and participants as well as from a business standpoint.   Thumbs up Roger !

Passenger

Oceanview, Check out Dr. Judy Mikovits ..... You'll learn A LOT. This C-19 is real, a flu that IS taken care of by hydroxychloroquine with zinc, but it never was a true pandemic, it was a pure hoax on the American public. You Are safe to go out and work, recreate and sit next to any person in the stands. The media has been selling everyone a huge LIE. Go to the race and enjoy the event, with out masks too.

Passenger

I have a daughter that works in hospital in NYC. If more people saw what this virous does to the human body,racing may not seem quite as important.

Intermediate Driver

The first time I saw RP in person was in Watkins Glen in 1976. I snuck into the pits and took the tour of a life time, I only got walked out of the pits twice (it was raining, security was more interested in staying dry).

Went to Indy for work a few years ago and went to the track museum. I hope it will expand and provide more history for the cars shown.

I didn't kiss the bricks!

I hope you can keep the track at the forefront of racing, adding events (F-1 etc.) and successfully marketing them.

New Driver

Go Roger!  Those who are paranoid will just stay home - and miss out on the whole summer because they've allowed themselves to be victimized by all the media hype.  

Pit Crew

i meant penske. not oenshe

Passenger

wow i thought this was an automotive forum....

just a thought...how many teams is oenshe runnng in his own race ?  no conflict of interest there..

Passenger

There isn't even a date set. Americans need to calm down like us Canadians

New Driver

I love cars and racing as much as anyone but please explain how a "fake" virus or media hype is killing all these folks around the world. I would never risk the lives of my family for a couple of hours of fun. I am 78 yrs old and my wife and kids have given me 56 yrs of fun...Would not want to toss that away for a race!

New Driver

You Mr. PESKE ! are proud of your accomplishments rightly so! But are subject to public safety LAW,If deemed so by ELECTED OFFICIALS. Period!National and local.

We are all anxious to see racing resume,SAFELY. I  can't help but hear a bit of malice in your statements, bull headed to be honest! If god forbid anyone gets sick @ from being @ event, it's on YOU !  I pray for you and yours  GJ Tournas. AFL-CIO Machinists Shop Steward 30yrs

New Driver

Looking forward to what Roger has done to improve the facility! ALSO wondering how to get Roger to autograph some Penske/Sunoco Camaro posters I will have in our charity fund raiser car show spring on 2021 in the Napa Valley.

New Driver

"..... But we will run it only with fans." implies that it will not be run if fans cannot attend.  Relax oceanview.

Navigator

no where does Penske say anything about keeping fans or his employees safe.  all he's in it for is money in his pocket.  thanks rog.

Passenger

This is obviously another battle ground for both sides of the pandemic argument.    Another person   stated the brief fact that this is a business, and they need to sell a lot of hot dogs.  (Thats pretty much it).   I'm old, in poor health and can't go this year.  Mainly because I haven't figured out how to shove my nachos through my mask!

Pit Crew

Naturally the fans bring big gate admission $$$ and Roger being the businessman that he is understands this quite well 

New Driver

Do the new Speedway facilities include coronavirus vaccination booths...?

Passenger