cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Roger Penske: “Trust me, we are going to run it with fans” for this year’s Indy 500

Roger Penske has told Racer that the 2020 Indy 500 will race with fans in the stands — no matter what. This news comes on the heels of a recent announcement that the upcoming Indy/NASCAR doubleheader on July 4-5 will be a racer's only event. That was a necessary precaution during the COVID-19 pandemic in order to protect the opportunity to run the 500 but was still not what fans wanted to hear after sitting idle during this hiatus in motorsports.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/roger-penske-trust-me-we-are-going-to-run-it-with-fans-for...

33 REPLIES 33
kevinshag
Passenger

Do the new Speedway facilities include coronavirus vaccination booths...?

Racer50
New Driver

As long as you carry a BLM sign, you should be good to go.

oceanview
Passenger

racer50-just another ignorant fan. way to give racing a BLACK eye.
SCHNELL
New Driver

Naturally the fans bring big gate admission $$$ and Roger being the businessman that he is understands this quite well 

Rockem
Intermediate Driver

I have a daughter that works in hospital in NYC. If more people saw what this virous does to the human body,racing may not seem quite as important.

Trashboat
Pit Crew

To clarify, you mean people that are already ill and dying. Working in a trauma ward myself and know what’s real. 🤦‍♂️ 

lesarm
Passenger

Leave it to the "Captain" to do it right. You go Roger, go! 

avanti5010
Pit Crew

The rich mf is just a typical greedy **bleep** who thinks he can rule the world.

mfp4073
Intermediate Driver

This is obviously another battle ground for both sides of the pandemic argument.    Another person   stated the brief fact that this is a business, and they need to sell a lot of hot dogs.  (Thats pretty much it).   I'm old, in poor health and can't go this year.  Mainly because I haven't figured out how to shove my nachos through my mask!

Trashboat
Pit Crew

Then stay home? 

oceanview
Passenger

no where does Penske say anything about keeping fans or his employees safe.  all he's in it for is money in his pocket.  thanks rog.

any8p
New Driver

"..... But we will run it only with fans." implies that it will not be run if fans cannot attend.  Relax oceanview.

mwmyers91
Detailer

Haters will hate. Life is all about showing up.

RJM
New Driver

Wow. Lots of anti-Roger rhetoric here. Sure he’s richer than God but he’s been a genuine racer since 1957. There will be an incredible utilization of communication technology at the Speedway when the 500 happens. Fan movement will be guided by 5G cellular as to when and where they enter and exit. Crowding at concessions and bathrooms (!) will be managed as well, to keep some measure of social distancing. Masks, of course, are mandatory. If August is declared untenable, the race will be held in October, fans being Penske’s firm requirement to stage the race. Beside the long-overdue improvements to the facilities , there are plans to bring endurance racing and a return of F1. So get off all this Roger-hating BS. 

Tom9716
Intermediate Driver

5G by August/October, really? Everyone wearing masks and/or social distancing? Wishful thinking at best. But, it makes for a great sound bite.

RJM
New Driver

Tom you underestimate The Captain. We shall see.
TomH
Passenger

Oceanview, Check out Dr. Judy Mikovits ..... You'll learn A LOT. This C-19 is real, a flu that IS taken care of by hydroxychloroquine with zinc, but it never was a true pandemic, it was a pure hoax on the American public. You Are safe to go out and work, recreate and sit next to any person in the stands. The media has been selling everyone a huge LIE. Go to the race and enjoy the event, with out masks too.

sanmiam
Passenger

Look at where your sources come from.  Judy Mikovits has had scientific papers on the only real theory she ever had redacted (the worst professional reprimand a researcher can have), has been on the side of anti-vaxers, has been accused of stealing significant quantities of IP from prior employers, and more recently has resumed efforts to promote the originally noted theory - one in which she previously conceded had no merit.

Now she is trying furiously to gain the limelight by one again pushing BS in the hope that less tenured people will buy into her rhetoric.  I understand - it is stressful times and anyone that can present a case towards what we want to hear (no matter how wildly incorrect it may be) is a potential glimmer of hope.

Judy is the scientific equivalent of a internet scammer posing as a Saudi Prince and personally a piece of human garbage for the crock of bull she is now spewing.  

You can choose to believe what you will, but I encourage you to google her name before hanging your coat on her words.  Every, and I mean EVERY legitimate source you will find discredits her immediately.  No conspiracy theory run THAT deep.

PS:  Part of her video was actually derived from a fictional movie (stated as fact of course) in her accusation of actual real life people.

PPS:  In any conspiracy theory there is always a party whom benefits from the ruse.  I challenge you to find whom that may be in this case since (quite literally) everyone is losing in the current climate.

TomH
Passenger

I have followed quite a bit of her work sanmiam. Her lawsuits against fake Faucci and the head of the CDC are currently sealed as the DOJ is looking into all of the facts in her lawsuits that she has filed for what Faucci did to create some of his cover ups which she was going to whistle blow about before they framed her for a crime she did not do to try to protect themselves.

Amazing how what she says is lining up perfectly with doctors from around the globe and many doctors here in the United States. They have all been having their Youtube videos censored and removed as they share their facts about what is really happening with their own patient load. Look into Dr. Erickson from California, if you can find one of his videos. Very detailed and compelling about this entire cover up and health hoax. I don't know from what side of the fence you come, but I am very comfortable with my view on what is really happening out there. The number of cases of infection are a fraud and even the CDC just came out again saying about half of all testing reported around the world was false positives.  Give it a little more time and all these lies will come to the surface. And when they do, people need to be imprisoned for creating this big sham.

SteveRN86
Passenger

Try telling the healthcare workers of America, and the families of the 100,000 who died that this is a hoax and not a pandemic. Someone has been drinking the kool-aid passed around by the right wing conspiracy theorists. You can recover from COVID 19 but there is no cure for stupid.

sir_keith
New Driver

Penske might know something about racing, but he doesn't know #### about virology. Totally idiotic comment.

Trashboat
Pit Crew

If you’re afraid of media hyped, invisible things like a bad virus.  Just stay home and wear a bubble. There’s people out there that believe life is still worth living. Cowards can stay home and watch entertainment “news”, the same way free thinking, self reliant people can go to indy. 🙂

RodneyRacer
Pit Crew

Looking forward to what Roger has done to improve the facility! ALSO wondering how to get Roger to autograph some Penske/Sunoco Camaro posters I will have in our charity fund raiser car show spring on 2021 in the Napa Valley.

FUNZR1
New Driver

Roger made his fortune by working hard and smart.  He's not like the constantly lying  rich **bleep** in DC with the big mouth who truly thinks he can rule the world that inherited from his con artist forefathers.    I think we can safely predict that this Penske business venture will be very successful for the racing enthusiasts and participants as well as from a business standpoint.   Thumbs up Roger !

Historian
Detailer

You shouldn't be bad-mouthing Schumer like that!

Willall257
New Driver

You Mr. PESKE ! are proud of your accomplishments rightly so! But are subject to public safety LAW,If deemed so by ELECTED OFFICIALS. Period!National and local.

We are all anxious to see racing resume,SAFELY. I  can't help but hear a bit of malice in your statements, bull headed to be honest! If god forbid anyone gets sick @ from being @ event, it's on YOU !  I pray for you and yours  GJ Tournas. AFL-CIO Machinists Shop Steward 30yrs

BigDog
Pit Crew

I love cars and racing as much as anyone but please explain how a "fake" virus or media hype is killing all these folks around the world. I would never risk the lives of my family for a couple of hours of fun. I am 78 yrs old and my wife and kids have given me 56 yrs of fun...Would not want to toss that away for a race!

oldcars
Intermediate Driver

There isn't even a date set. Americans need to calm down like us Canadians

mhub
Passenger

wow i thought this was an automotive forum....

just a thought...how many teams is oenshe runnng in his own race ?  no conflict of interest there..

mhub
Passenger

i meant penske. not oenshe

BWeston
Pit Crew

Go Roger!  Those who are paranoid will just stay home - and miss out on the whole summer because they've allowed themselves to be victimized by all the media hype.  

Dantheman
Pit Crew

The first time I saw RP in person was in Watkins Glen in 1976. I snuck into the pits and took the tour of a life time, I only got walked out of the pits twice (it was raining, security was more interested in staying dry).

Went to Indy for work a few years ago and went to the track museum. I hope it will expand and provide more history for the cars shown.

I didn't kiss the bricks!

I hope you can keep the track at the forefront of racing, adding events (F-1 etc.) and successfully marketing them.

CarlJensen
Pit Crew

I would bet that Mr. Penske has reviewed this with the appropriate people to make an educated decision.  The problem is that depending on what you believe, you can find  data and reasoning on the internet to support any position, on anything.  But I am in full support of his decision.