cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rides from the Readers: 1978 Porsche 924

Today’s featured vehicle is a 1978 Porsche 924, the second model year of Porsche’s water-cooled, front-engine, rear-wheel-drive coupe. Developed partially by Volkswagen and built by Porsche at Audi’s Neckarsulm plant, the 924 had a somewhat rough first reception within the Porsche community. Its Audi-sourced four-banger put out an uninspiring 95 horsepower until a turbocharger arrived in 1980; when the 924 morphed into the 944 for 1983 and gained a Porsche-designed four-cylinder, its fortunes improved significantly.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/rides-from-the-readers-1978-porsche-924/

Replies (1)

Replies (1)

Got to drive one of these 924s back in the day (1980s) and I actually loved it!  I think too many Porsche "snobs" look down on the 914s, 924s, 944s, 928s, etc.  These are all great cars and if these didn't sell well...um, hate to break it to you Porsche "snob"...no more 911.  The 924 was not fast, but it felt quick, handled nice and was solidly built.  Had some friends who owned 944s for decades...again, reliable and fun.  I would entertain a 914.  Roomy cabins, incredible handling, plenty of weekend touring luggage space and a blast with the roof off!  For the 928...never drove one, but I love that V8 sound...unique to Porsche.  And before a Porsche "snob" tees off my comment, I absolutely LOVE 911s!

New Driver