cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Rides from the Readers: 1968 Saab Sonett

Hagerty readers and Hagerty Drivers Club members share their cherished collector and enthusiast vehicles with us via our contact email, tips@hagerty.com. We're showcasing some of our favorite stories among these submissions. To have your car featured, send complete photography and your story of ownership to the above email address.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/rides-from-the-readers-1968-saab-sonett/
3 REPLIES 3
audiobycarmine
Technician

I saw one of these at the NYC Auto Show, back in the late 60's. I loved it, but I was still in my mid-teens. For some reason, I thought that some/all had two-stroke engines. I know that SAAB did use those.
Anyway, yours are great, and I'm glad you've gotten so much enjoyment and reliability from them.
Thanks for a very fine and informative article.
DaveA
Instructor

These are such beautiful cars. I would love to see one in my garage.
NSXter
New Driver

In the very competitive autocrossing days of the early 70s in DC, Schwing Motors, a Saab dealer in DC trailered in a monster FTD Sonett driven by a very good driver, John Ames. The gearing allowed him into 4th gear when most of us spent time in 2nd or 3rd as I did in the Dick Freeman built FTD Mini. That Sonett never had the hood open, so we never saw an induction system, but the fat slicks on all 4 corners let you know it was something special. Its had more power than the 1293 cc Mini with 2 Webbers 40s and a cross flow head and it weighed only about 200 pounds more. Does anyone know where that Sonett is today?