cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Rides from the Readers: 1962 Studebaker GT Hawk | Hagerty Media

Hagerty readers and Hagerty Drivers Club members share their cherished collector and enthusiast vehicles with us via our contact email, tips@hagerty.com. We're showcasing some of our favorite stories among these submissions. To have your car featured, send complete photography and your story of ownership to the above email address.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/rides-from-the-readers-1962-studebaker-gt-hawk/
38 REPLIES 38
MeJ
Detailer

Couple of things...
First, I'm glad there's finally more pictures! There should always be more than 1 or 2 in these articles.
Second, good for this kid for working hard and saving and buying something unique! A breath of fresh air in the current now, now, now mentality of people of this age.
Third, why diss the kids choice by downplaying the cars style? I think it's great that he went for something unique.
And finally, I hope "Daisy Mae" doesn't have a relative named "Christine"...Could be be trouble for the Moochie Welch's and Buddy Repperton's of the world. 🙂
Jaybokay
Pit Crew

Thank you kindly for the comments. As for the car's style, I said those comments in the article myself. The GT Hawk was a thoroughly dated design, even by the standards of the 1960s. That said, I don't mind it in the slightest. Makes it more special in my mind.
MeJ
Detailer

I didn't realize you were the one making the comments. Frankly I think it's a pretty cool design. 

CarciergeGlenn
Intermediate Driver

Being a Studebaker fan myself, I couldn't be happier for Jake. Good choice! Industrial Designer Brooks Stevens took a tired 9 year old design and breathed new life into it, working on a shoe-string budget. I think it's the best looking of all Studebaker Hawks/hardtop coupes. The original 1953 car was so far ahead of its time, Stevens was able to pull it off. But yes, the car was not very wide - this was due to the severe width limitations of the very old (some 19th century) buildings in South Bend which Studebaker were using the manufacture their cars.
Orict0015668
Pit Crew

I love the last picture at the end of the article, he has the perfect co-pilot/navigator!
AG1962
Detailer

Nice! As a former Studebaker owner (1963 Lark sedan), I approve wholeheartedly!

On the other hand, if anyone was wondering why our ranks are greying so quickly, with fewer and fewer young enthusiasts following behind us, just think about what it means to raise that much money now, at entry-level (teenager/recent immigrant) wages. Jake somehow saved $10,000 by 16. Amazing and more power to him!

But it’s not replicable across the population, not at $7 or $10 or even at $15 an hour while in school full-time. My brother bought his first classic, a driving, only slightly shabby 1940 British Ford Pilot, in 1979 at the age of 16 for $800. He made around $3 an hour so it took him under 300 hours to earn the cash. Even assuming Jake made $10 an hour, it would have taken him 1,000 hours to earn his nut. Our hobby is increasingly out of reach for anyone but the better-off, esp. in cities with expensive housing. Who will buy our treasured cars in 15 or 20 years? Maybe we need to think about selling our cars to under-30s for what we have into them, rather than what the market will bear... (excepting very high-end show restorations, of course: even this market probably won’t catch up with those expenses).

Jaybokay
Pit Crew

As the subject person in this article, I completely agree with your analysis. The purchasing power parity of my generation is very much lacking compared to those prior. One of many negative effects of that is decreased participation in the old-car hobby at large. If it is to survive, not only must the grey-hairs be more adapting to change regarding younger folks and actively try to bring them into the fold, but prices of cars should come down across the board.
Billygoat33
Pit Crew

Interesting concept selling a vehicle for what you have into it. I recently bought a fully restored show quality car for 1/8 th what the P.O. put into it - granted the restoration was 4-5 years old, but you wouldn't know it to look at the car.
JohnnyD
Intermediate Driver

Great story of youthful enthusiasm for antique autos. I relate to the story because at 16 years old I purchased my 1953 Studebaker starlite hardtop. Great styling. Inspired Ford' 64 Mustang. More stories like this about youth carrying the hobby forward please.

The 63-64 Hawk was best update to that first performance pony car.
1953Buick
Pit Crew

How very refreshing, to see someone this age being so interested in 'old cars'! We need more young people like Kaywell to 'carry on' the hobby, that so many of us 'old guys' love!
Congratulations Kaywell!......lovely car!
GRP_Photo
Instructor

Well, it may look "dated", but I think it looks a lot better than the metal bricks Ford and Chevy were sending down the road in 1962.
slammin
Pit Crew

I certainly agree with 1953 Buick, I love seeing people too young for an AARP membership appreciating a car like a 62 GT Hawk. I 'm sure any of us old guys would be proud to show up at cars and coffee behind the wheel of Jake's green beauty.
Corkola
Intermediate Driver

Excellent choice young man! I have loved these ever since seeing one in a Mechannix Illustrated from the early 60s.
Spuds
Advanced Driver

WTG Jake! You did a great job on that beauty!
drhino
Instructor

Way to go Jake! (“Stick” with those cars with a clutch pedal, lad!) Also, congratulations to his parents— they certainly did a nice job instilling the value of work, patience, deliberation, and history.

Finally, a toast to Helen! My kind of lady! Manual, limited slip, no power steering or brakes. Wow!

ThumperUSMC
Intermediate Driver

Beautiful car. One of my neighbors had one, don't remember the year, but I loved it. As a youth at the time (12) when the car was brand new, I used to go over and watch, and help, Carl work on that car. He still had it when I went into the Marine Corps in 1968, and it was still their when I returned in 1972. Carl had added an Avanti to the cars and he wouldn't, unfortunately, sell the Hawk to me. Oh well... I got back into my interests in Corvettes and never looked back, but I can say that I still love the lines of those cars.
carguyjim
Detailer

SO glad to see young people interested in vintage cars... Really a rewarding fun hobby IF you make informed decisions. Buying a car is really like real estate, sometimes easier to buy than sell and you need to investigate the purchase carefully.
This selection is prudent in part because an American engine makes for less expensive and less frequent repairs and service!
Best of luck to this young fella and his auto adventures....
Rich8566
New Driver

Beautiful car! Love the paint.
dirkfathom
Intermediate Driver

As a greying enthusiast, yet too young(54) to really experience Studebaker, I am constantly left wondering what might have been. Their designs, innovation and basic look are so attractive. I would love to have a current option that offered similar design metrics, with a price that was viable for the average consumer.
Oldimpala
Intermediate Driver

Great choice my friend..

My Dad is a huge Stude fan. I've made the pilgrimage to South Bend for some football and Studebakers in the past.

Great ride, for a company with an incredible past, and sadly limited future. Still can't figure out how they went from their most profitable year in business in '61/'62 with the well timed intro of the Lark to essentially dead in late 63.

I'm a GM and Packard fan (with enough grey at 45, but too young to remember Packard), myself, but enough Stude love from my old man rubbed off that I'd definitely clear some space in the garage for a Lark, Starlight, Hawk, or Avanti. Fun car, and quirky enough to get noticed.

Let's just stay away from what they did to Pierce or Packard. 😉
JG1
Pit Crew

Excellent story. I would like to see more young folks take on these types of pursuits. I also started my love of cars at a very early age, and still do today at 70....

Love the picture of driver and dog...........I certainly miss my dog, and really.....this article has me thinking of adopting again.

Well done..........
John.
MeJ
Detailer

I have to admit that I am more than a little shocked at a guy his age is into old cars. Especially with the ridiculous amount of distractions in today's world. He must be an old soul.

As for adopting a dog...Do it! I'm sure there's a furry friend out there just waiting for you to take leisurely drives with!

Jaybokay
Pit Crew

Hello, all! This is Jake Kaywell, the fellow in this here article. It came totally as a surprise to me, so I'm properly pleased as punch. Thank you for the comments as well Yes, I am most fortunate to have this automobile as well as appreciate it for what it is. That said, it isn't a phenomenon that's replicable across my age group. As AG1962 said, the purchasing power parity of my generation is very much out of whack, contributing to the greying of this hobby we share. We should work to address this if it is to survive in the future.

Also, MeJ, Daisy-Mae might just be cut from the same cloth that Christine is at. All dirtbags out there better look over their shoulders!
VWvanagon
Pit Crew

Awesome young man!!! Many happy miles and smiles await your adventure I drove my wife to the hospital in1977 to deliver our first son in a 62-3 lark!?Now he owns a 66 dodge van! I also owned a silver hawk for a short time, and the old timer who had tons of parts would not sell to anyone who wanted a collector car. They were built to be driven!!! Was his mantra ;)))
Studenorton
Instructor

What a man. I have a serious word of advice for Jake: join your local chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club, where you will be most welcome, and then never leave the room while there is an election going on. They will make you president, and then you are stuck.
Jaybokay
Pit Crew

Aye! I've already been a member of the SDC for more than three years now. Lots of fun I've had there and a most useful store of parts and knowledge, which will go away entirely if folks like me aren't made interested. It's on the greyhairs of the hobby to try to entice younger folks into the ranks of this hobby.
miata93
Intermediate Driver

Nice work, Jake. With today's aggressive grills and slits for turn indicators she is actually in tune with today's "styling". My first car was also a outlier from the big 3, a 1965 AMC Rambler Classic. I learned a lot about every car system the hard way. I am guessing that you get about 20 MPG in mixed driving with the 4-speed.
Alikat51
Intermediate Driver

Beautiful car, great choice. Had a '63 Hawk myself (wish I still had it)! Hope you keep the enthusiasm of the automotive world. Find the local Studebaker Club and get involved!
DougL
Intermediate Driver

Wonderful car! I hope to own one someday. AC and a 4 speed even! It shouldn't be too difficult to add power steering and brakes if you really want them.
aquaman811
New Driver

Jake, you have a beauty there in Daisy Mae. The Gran Turismo Hawks were an elegant update of a stylish, but tired, design. Keep spreading the word, I just bought a ‘62 Lark last August & can’t wait to get her back on the road. Might not be the prettiest, but you sure get the comments whenever people gather around her.
Larry3
Pit Crew

Nice car, sort of nice to see a young person liking a Studebaker most are caught in the Chevy club. My mom had a Silver Hawk when I was a kid and allowed me to drive it when my car was broke down and my car was broke down a lot. This was not the best thing for the Hawk I put put down the Chevy's on Est. in San Bernardino on a regular basis. I love Chevy's too but this Hawk was amazing. Thanks for the story and the look back in time for me.
DRF
Intermediate Driver

Really like the interior color, these are really neat cars, especially with the 4 speed!
SuperDeLuxe
Detailer

To be 20 again! At his age I was completely smitten with the mysterious and beautiful '62-'64 GT Hawk, which I first encountered in the August 2, 1988 issue of Collectible Automobile. Alas, I have never owned one. Great to see younger folks with such an interest in old iron. Keep the faith Jake!
vweals
Pit Crew

Very cool! Hoping Jake will have an opportunity to visit the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, Indiana. It's a national treasure.
AsaJay
Pit Crew

Of all the Studebaker's I've ever seen, this is the one I would own, and have looked off and on for a long time. This is a beautiful example and to see a young man care that much about the hobby, -and- the idea of sharing, makes it even better. Hat's off to you sir.

Now if I could just find one that suited me. 🙂
Asa Jay
HASCpres2019
Intermediate Driver

I wasn't much older than you when I bought a '62 Studebaker Hawk. It was a great car. It handled well and performed admirably. Just a word of warning. I was cruising a winding secondary road at speeds a little faster than I should have been. It was at this time that I noticed a toggle switch on the dash. I flipped it on with no immediate results. Suddenly, the interior started to fill with smoke. I pulled to the side of the road and bailed out. Turns out the car was equipped with an underseat heater,controlled by the above mentioned switch.Years of accumulated dust bunnies had started to smolder ! Don't touch that switch !
jsfury
Intermediate Driver

All that young man needs is a pipe.
Waterboy1KHY80
Intermediate Driver

Is there a better driving / riding companion than your dog? LOL Nope, they like us, love it!