cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ride along in two ends of the Baja-tackling Bronco spectrum

Under normal circumstances, we’d never think of piling up a pyramid of logs to vault into a Bronco. (One can simply take the Wild West aesthetic too far.) Then again, veteran Baja-racing trucks tend to follow their own set of rules.

For this 1968 Bronco—the same one Rod Hall and Larry Minor thrashed to an overall win at the Baja 1000 in 1969—a mounting block is essential.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/ride-along-in-two-ends-of-the-baja-tackling-bronco-spectru...

Replies (7)

Replies (7)

Ford certainly did not miss an opportunity to connect the 2020 Bronco's debut teasers with Bronco racing history.  However, could not agree more with the comments below by enesset.  The truck in the article is a Stroppe racer driven by Rodney Hall and has a history of its own.  However, it is not the overall winner of the 1969 Mexican 1000. 

Passenger

Rich history of the original Bronco's off-road prowess. My favorite will always be Rufus' (you know him as Parnelli) Big Oly Bronco with the fuel altered wing on top. Beyond bad to the bone!

Intermediate Driver

All Ways get up for the ThnxGiving time (every yr) Baja 1000 (now NORRA) as I gots da SW radio in New England'n follow 2 or 3 teams (1 frm here runnin the "Vintage", nother Chuck from BCB, now of TX ) in a rig like my '70 EB. Good Stuff! Dont 4get the (MI) Moss brothers w/their incredible string of wins in the '78 (2nd gen Bronk).  That May Have the 400 (biggest 'square engine' usa production motor).

One usta do the Pre-Runnin (BroncoMatt) ina 351 originally owned by Parnelli. Never saw him do the 400 crank in it (some do) like the guys w/the chebby 350 do ta make a 400 even tho he's a top notch mechanic (Y they ask him to be a pre-run teamer). Ya...hoo!, just 3 mo ta go.  Keep ur eyes pealed. "B there or B square" ! Not ur typical Hagerty stuff, eh? Still exciting~

Intermediate Driver

Big respect for the Legend Rod Hall BUT it seems like we keep hearing about how this Hall family early bronco is the 1969 winning truck which it is NOT.  

Big ford fan and personally own multiple Bronco's (including a '69 bronco) and just wish we could get the press to acknowledge the real heritage of this specific Hall family truck.

Also generally grateful to Hagerty for the content.

Lastly if Ford Motorsports is looking at these comments, I'm certain you can be put in touch with the original '69 winning truck (the owner is known)....and the reasons why the Hall family truck is NOT the '69 winner is well documented by two well known Ford and Bronco related historians.

This is the actual '69 winning truck from when it ran NORRA in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VxANWsepk

New Driver

Which Bronco race truck would I hitch a ride in?

Whichever one that has Julianne Moore driving.

Intermediate Driver

Which Bronco race truck would you hitch a ride in?

Whichever one that has Julianne Moore driving.

Intermediate Driver

Every third Hagerty email has Bronco in it somewhere....

New Driver