cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Review: Volvo XC90 Recharge T8 Inscription

The mission was simple enough: drag a trailer 600 miles from Los Angeles to Winnemucca, Nevada, load up a car, and haul it back. There were, however, some interesting nuances. The car was a 1972 Lamborghini Espada, a derelict rolling chassis with no engine or transmission.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/review-volvo-xc90-recharge-t8-inscription/
12 REPLIES 12
CJinSD
Instructor

The desire to drive an electric Lamborghini Espada is the automotive equivalent of necrophilia.

TheModelCitizen
Detailer

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Tesla started out converting Lotus Elise to an EV. The auto hobby takes all kinds and I wish Mr. Robinson the best of luck with this project. It may even wind up costing less than restoring the Lamborghini Espada to another overpriced museum piece. And wind up as an enjoyable driver the way Mr. Robinson wants.
CJinSD
Instructor

Don’t waste your time commenting that we should have taken a Rivian or a Ford Lightning. Sure, a pure electric truck towing a soon-to-be-electric Lamborghini would have made more perfect symmetry. But because we would have been forced to stop a whole bunch of times to recharge the rig, it would have also verified to another set of would-be commenters that electric cars are just a silly comedy of magical thinking.

Does conceding that you didn't use an electric truck because doing so would have revealed how deficient they are relative to the trucks we have now for doing important truck things convince anyone that EVs aren't as inferior now as they were when gasoline-powered cars with electric starters drove them off the market about a century ago?

AaronRobinson
Hagerty Employee

Mm, strikes me as the equivalent of saying it was better to send a letter than make a telephone call a century (and a bit) ago because phones were so crude and limited and expensive, and you can always trust a guy on a horse. We're just not there yet.
JAG
Detailer

Fun article with relevance to me. My son is buying an XC-90 Hybrid for his MD wife to drive around Ann Arbor. He is also an MD and still has a ICE car because he has to drive more. Won't be getting the hitch option after reading this! Also made the point that the towing world is not ready for an all electric puller.
Calling that ugly-ass Trailex trailer the " M3 of trailers" is an insult to my Aluminum R&R trailer, but getting 16.5 mpg pulling a trailer is not that bad, so maybe you don't trailer much. Any full size pick up (non diesel) would be lucky to get that. Try pulling a box trailer and see what it does.
Making an E-Spada has merit, they, like all 60ties-70ties Lambos, were sooo unreliable, but it is so cramped where do you put the batteries? Will the be so small it will just be a really cool looking golf cart?
AaronRobinson
Hagerty Employee

Compared to the steel sleds I'm used to towing, the Trailex was spectacular. Don't be snobby! Batteries will likely go where the engine was, motor in back, which should make the weight balance about the same as a fully gassed Espada. Should get about 100 miles, plenty of range for local chores, at least with current battery tech. Once the motor is in, the rest of the tech is swappable as new stuff comes along.
Valvefloat
Intermediate Driver

Having your highway mileage drop by about a third when pulling a trailer is just about right--even with lighter trailer payloads than the Espada. It's an inconvenience with an IC engine, a disaster with an EV.
ap41563
Intermediate Driver

Glad to see I'm not the only one listening to XM 148 Radio Classics when I'm on a long trip. That Great Gildersleeve is hilarious.

Also why didn't you throw the engine from your Mitsubishi i-MiEV in it?
AaronRobinson
Hagerty Employee

Sadly, the I-MiEV is no more due to a little accident. Sold on eBay for parts.
Favorites are Gunsmoke and Dragnet.

Glutton for punishment I see.
Jr1
Detailer

An EV would be an impossible way to get around if you live in a 3rd floor apartment in a major city. As soon as the initial charge in the batteries is used up, you will be stuck with a $60,000.00 car cluttered with the tickets you will get for leaving your car on the street overnight.

And having to stop for a recharge every hour on a trip to Florida, will make you wish you had taken a plane.

And if you do get stuck somewhere with a dead battery, you can call AAA to come over with a gasoline powered pickup truck pulling a diesel generator on a trailer, to give you a jump start.

Unfortunately, the government is letting the price of gasoline go way up to force the issue of EV's.
kyree-williams
Detailer

I have a 2022 X5 xDrive45e (that's the plug-in hybrid) that did excellently towing a U-haul trailer with a Jaguar on the back of it. That said, the car disabled the cruise control (both adaptive and standard) when the trailer was attached, which was annoying on a flat road.

IMG_5043.jpg