cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review: Cadillac CT4-V

What’s the opposite of the Love Boat? The HATE TANK! What’s the opposite of the BMW Cimarron, aka M235i Gran Coupe? Why, it’s the Cadillac 320i, aka the CT4-V! That’s right! Billy Butler Yeats never saw a world like 2020, where the Bimmers lack all longitudinally-mounted conviction and the Cadillacs are full of passionate 2.7 Turbo intensity!

Read the full article at Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/review-cadillac-ct4-v/

Replies (4)

Replies (4)

I was about to blame Chinese displacement taxes for the 4-cylinder truck motor at the heart of this car, but the CT4-V won't be sold in China. And that $1500 number to the consumer would be quite a bit less for GM considering that they make hundreds of thousands of 5.3L V8s per year.

I agree with you about taking this over the S3/M245i/CLA35. The CT4-V targets that niche with precision. For the same real-world price, I'd grin and bear the Hyundai dealer for a Genesis G70 with the 3.3TT V6. At least there is an app for someone to whisk away my G70 for service to make up for not getting my butt pampered at the Cadillac dealer.

A spectre is haunting this segment: the spectre of the Tesla Model 3. A young person who's had their first hit of real money and is thinking of upgrading from their 2004 Corolla because of the coronavirus - this car's target consumer - will ignore this for a Model 3. The whole point of a modern luxury car is to flex and signal. Cadillacs still have cachet in Detroit and Oklahoma City, but not Brooklyn or Seattle. A Tesla does, even if Elon is increasingly Problematic. Yes, a Model 3's build quality is disconcertingly similar to a 1995 Chevrolet Lumina, and you're screwed if you get in a wreck because Tesla refuses to hand over an inch of control to third-party repair shops and suppliers. (Not even Apple is that dictatorial.) That being said, Teslas are very well-suited to the great suck that is commuting in the 5-10 largest metro areas in this country. You get pushed back into your seat with EV torque for a moment before popping on Autopilot to sit on the 405 or I-95. That leaves your mind free to listen to This American Life, or jam out to "Hip to Be Square" by Huey Lewis and the News. Finally, Tesla has the best BEV solution in the world, with all its competitors either a generation behind or vaporware. Tesla represents excellence in American engineering in a way that this microwaved ATS doesn't.

Intermediate Driver

This car would really make a case for itself with an LT1, but then GM wouldn't be GM. It is an ironic fault when the problem with the Germans is that they stopped being themselves. 

Intermediate Driver

Clearly a review from some who owns GM products which means apologizing for it instead of telling the truth. I'd take a loaded G70 3.3TT all day over this tweener AT.. CT4 that still has cheap material all over the interior

New Driver

Pretty good review, hits the highs and lows without dwelling or beating on them and did a good job early on by pointing out that you really can't take the V designation seriously any more. I had to chuckle about the red painted calipers being an extra cost option. They shouldn't be available on this car at all, and certainly paying extra to look like some high school kid who bought it with a salvage title and made it mo' better doesn't make sense. Leave the red calipers to the tuner crowd, thank you. I think the car is a good offering at the price and its strongest feature might be the fact that with Ford getting out of this market,  Lincoln owners may shopping for Cadillacs soon. I miss a few things in my Lincoln that I liked about my old Cadillac STS, but I figured it was time to step away from some GM unreliability for a while and check out some potential Ford unreliability. 😉

Detailer