cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Review: 2022 Genesis GV70 AWD 3.5T Sport Prestige

The late Raul Julia was celebrated for his acting, his humanitarian work, and his sterling personal qualities as a father and friend. He won several Tony Awards and brought Shakespeare to new fans across the world. Yet his final role, completed just before his untimely death from cancer, was as "M.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/review-2022-genesis-gv70-awd-3-5t-sport-prestige/
17 REPLIES 17
compaqdeskpro
Detailer

I love the glitching on the touchscreen, that's what I imagine it will look like in the future when a "cop" in a control room "pulls you over".
PecosBill
Pit Crew

I thought that was a bad screen too but it appears to be a lower border comprised of a skyline. But a tach that winds counter clock wise? Or is that an extra cost top trim cluster that can be configured?
Jack_Hagerty

It's no glitch, but rather a weather display.

Reverse tach is standard 🙂
ATLpaul
Detailer

It is curious to me that Genesis does not target Lexus which has bigger market share in small and midsize SUVs, but instead goes after the slice of market where BMW and Mercedes and Audi already rule.

Lexus seems to base their small and midsize SUVs on front wheel drive platforms, some perhaps share parts, engines, platforms with Toyotas. Yet Lexus is the 500 pound gorilla in those segments. RX sells twice as many vehicles as X5. NX (a relative newcomer) is selling as much as X3 already.

Smart money would have been targeting those soft riding plush Lexis. Instead Genesis goes after driving dynamics, plushy interior, rear wheel drive, sporty pretensions.

Perhaps because Lexus and top level reliability is just too hard to pick on. While gimmicks and so called nice leather and sportiness are easier qualities to master.

Germanicus
Detailer

The issue I see with targeting Lexus is that Lexus customers are more loyal to Lexus than any German car customer is to their brand. The reliability you noted is the big reason why. Genesis would also have to deliver a sales and service experience in the neighborhood of Lexus, which is difficult when a Genesis customer would have to share the waiting room with a 2013 Sonata owner waiting on a new engine, and the Genesis salesperson is used to selling Tucsons and Elantras.
MATTMERICA
Technician

I was going to type the same thing and add that the Lexus owners that I know would not be caught dead in a korean automobile. It is just unthinkable. It is hard to turn those folks to another brand.
drhino
Technician

Not sure what year it happened; but Genesis requires stand alone dealerships (and there are no longer Hyundai badges on the cars). I don’t know if Genesis cars suffer the same fate as Hyundais (with the throw away engines); but I do know I’m leery (and you can’t get a manual transmission anymore— the first hurdle for me to even consider a purchase).
BQC24
New Driver

Most drivers are not into driving dynamics. As long as their auto appliance gets them from point A to B, they’re happy. That’s the easiest quality to master.
Germanicus
Detailer

The last-gen 3.3TT V6 in the G70 I test drove last year made that car move. The added weight of the GV70, coupled with Hyundai not using as fancy metals as the Germans to cut costs, must dull the responsiveness of the new 3.5TT V6 in the GV70 you drove.

While Hyundai have made good-looking cars for the last decade, there's something special with these new Genesis cars and SUVs. For example, I am a person commenting on a car review on the internet, and thus wouldn't be caught dead in something like a BMW X5 or Mercedes-Benz GLE. I saw a Genesis GV80 in the parking lot after a walk this month, and I could see myself in one of those.
Maestro1
Technician

Jack, once more, fierce, articulate writing. Very well done. Don't forget a book project. You deserve it. Many Blessings.
Happy Holidays
Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

I like the look of this vehicle. It has a bit of Bentley and Porsche Macan styling in it. Having said that the wheels are overdone. Who needs 21's and why are they "dimpled"? Are they supposed to be like golf balls for aero? Minor styling aside the stability control system is stupid if it will reassert itself after being turned on.  It appears Hyundai has not learned that if someone turns it off they want it to stay off. Any Lexus vehicle if you turn it off it stays off. I restart the car and it stays off. If I want it back on then I turn it on otherwise it stays off the next time I turn on my car. At least that is how it was on a 2018 IS 350 F Sport I had. Having to play the will it come on game is grounds for me to never purchase it. I had the same experience with a Kia Stinger GT and it was the reason I did not buy the car. Sounds like a reason to not do what could be a decent Genesis vehicle. Genesis has not been able to get me to give up my RWD Lexus vehicles yet.

Djarum
Intermediate Driver

Hyundai/Genesis has sort ticked me off. All the buildup to this vehicle and I honestly can't find one close. The one's that are within a 2 hour drive are all the 3.5T variant which I have no interest in. I just get really ticked when car companies put pressers out months and months ahead of when the car hits the lots, and then when it hits the lots there is very little inventory. They seem to do this often.

Kia stinger? Took two years to see some inventory.
Kia Optima SX a few years ago? The new model was hitting the lots when the previous model SX was on the lot.
Sonata limited? Same as above.

One of the reasons I have purchased Mazda's over the last few years is because the model's and trims I'm interested in are actually on the lot.

I get the whole new car shortage issue, but limited stock on models and trims that the pressers rave over isn't new for Hyundai/Genesis/Kia.
zmega
Intermediate Driver

I don't get the compact/midsize SUV hate. For single people or couples with no kids who need to carry significant cargo from time-to-time and want to be safe in snow, they seem like a perfectly reasonable choice. What should these people drive? 911's?
Jack_Hagerty

I think the all-wheel-drive Tempo was a better choice for the above requirements, and that's not as snarky a response as it sounds.

Come to think of it, a two-door Accord hatch had all of these qualities as well.
zmega
Intermediate Driver

What about people who want something a bit nicer - quieter, more comfortable, more performance more features?  I don't see it as an unreasonable choice to go for a luxury compact/mid-size SUV.  Lots of people agree with me.

Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

I prefer hatchbacks and wagons.  I have had two wagons a 2004 WRX and a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon.  Turbo and AWD and a flash tune away from being way more fun.  Sadly even Subaru doesn't do that any more.

Tempo, LoL.  :^)

Djarum
Intermediate Driver

As someone who drives a midsized sedan and the better half drives a compact SUV, I can say that anything riding on a sedan platform is utterly torture on our awful roads. I'm even leaning towards trading in my sedan for a compact or midsized SUV.