cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Review: 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Premier | Hagerty Media

General Motors is in on the cusp of a massive technological overhaul, recently declaring its intent to go all-electric by 2035. Building EVs is one thing, but convincing mainstream new-car shoppers-almost all electric novices-to buy in? That's a whole different ballgame.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/review-2022-chevrolet-bolt-euv-premier/
49 REPLIES 49
spoom
Technician

I really used to enjoy coming here but no more. One modern EV car story after another, it's like a daily e-issue of Consumer Reports, and/or repeatedly reading about someone's latest bowel movement. I accept that there's nothing I can do to change the focus here, so I bid my fellow classic car owner's adieu.
PhillipThomas
Pit Crew

The rest of the world will move along without you. EVs are beloved by several classic car owners, and the results from the conversion are proof of that.
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Phil,I think the EVs appeal to the smart phone is my life,IOT crowd.Im not into being tracked by big brother and I value privacy,something these EVs do not allow.They are freedom thieves in may respects and I cant get past that.
dough
Intermediate Driver

Exactly this. As privacy and anonymity continue being utterly obliterated by Big Tech and the USG wanting to keep tabs on/control evermore aspects of our lives, we continue to blissfully give away our right not to be continuously tracked and monitored every time we download a game to our phone, take a small and fleeting discount from a vehicle insurer in exchange for it's dongle in our cars, and refuse to hold accountable our bought-and-sold USG bureaucrats for outright refusing to enforce existing law and preventing monopolistic practices and privacy-invading/manipulating of behaviors of said Big Tech. It's all just a matter of fun and convenience, until you wake up one day to realize nearly every aspect of your life is monitored and controlled by one mechanism or another, and you have no avenue to change that. I'm sure I'll be called "alarmist" or "conspiracy theorist" or any number of other names so that these realities can be easily dismissed and forgotten about, but anyone who values their privacy enough to have done the research on a macro scale knows exactly what I'm talking about. Electric, nanny cars will be the least of our worries when they finally crash the cash/US dollar-based system of monetary exchange and go completely digital, where every transaction is monitored, and your financial life can be turned on and off at the push of a button. Think it's not just over the horizon? Then you're just not paying attention. While I'm all for eco-friendly techological advancement, the carelessness with which maintenance of privacy/anonymity is treated, and thus one's ability to be independent in this pursuit is simply mind-boggling. Ok, heads down, back to your smartphones,The Bachelor, and ordering Alexa around the house.....
Spuds
Advanced Driver

dough,on-star alone is a deal killer for me.Almost nobody realizes the loss of privacy,spying google,big tech et all have brought us.Or why it matters,in fact Im relatively newly woke to that I have to admit.
I reckon somewhere along the line I might need to get a newer lexus than my LS400 (maybe not,its a reliability mileage eating monster) and I wonder....what is the hack to delete sat tracking on vehicles,is it just an antenna deletion?
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Or is messing with tracking an automatic shutdown on cars today? Yes,there is a very big picture here on privacy,and cars are part of this, and folks just dont have a clue...it isnt that you have nothing to hide,that isnt the issue at all.Much much deeper than that...just ask your 'fact checker',no critical thinking required.
sharkguy48
Intermediate Driver

Zuckerberg sat before Congress a couple of months ago and stated that FaceBook was not able to influence the public as some have claimed. Then, about three weeks ago he stated that he was not allowing any political discussions on FaceBook for a couple of weeks so things would, "calm down." No influence? Can you say, "hipocracy?"
OldRoad
Instructor

I wholeheartedly agree with your comment however I noticed one mistake. You misspelled FakeBook.
rokky
Intermediate Driver

I would venture to say that those several Classic Car owners who are in love with the EV'S are not really true Classic Car people.
I doubt you will ever see a Classic Car show in the future consisting of Battery Powered vehicles.
The 30's, 40's 50's, 60's, 70's and some 80's Fossil Fuel Beauties will live in infamy..
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Nah,unless cars and private ownership is stopped,we will continue to have classics,be they electric or not IMO.But dont want to be a first adapter,like a 1st year new model owner.Someone else can take those hits.If / when they finally make an electric that is as convenient as a gasser they arent for me.I cant afford a second new car electric with limitations,a 1 car DD is my reality.
rokky
Intermediate Driver

If God loved the electric cars so much he wouldn't have put all that wonderful Black Gold, Oil that is, into the ground for all the wonderful creature comforts we enjoy today..
And of course one of those joys was the Internal Combustion Engine that powers all those Classics that grace our highways and byways and those exciting classic car shows and the auctions and the auto parts swap meets where that NOS part you have been looking for to complete your restoration is waiting to be found.
I just don't think restoring a Mustang Mach E or the Chevy Bolt in the future will create the excitement that searching for that Stromberg 97 Carb for that old Flathead V8 or a Mustang 289 HiPo engine does today.. .
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Rokky,the kids in my family are all into electronics,they will be modifying the heck outta them just like we did.They are in another universe that works for them.They cut their teeth on arduinos and coding nowadays.
rokky
Intermediate Driver

You have to realize that most of the products that we enjoy are based on oil and by going Green energy I would like to know how all these products we now rely on will be produced with out the use of oil.
Example, the cars being built today are mostly plastic that is based on oil, much of your home consists of materials based on oil, our roads, and even your kids computer and your smart phone..
CitationMan
Instructor

“The rest of the world will move along without you”.

A very disappointing smug and egotistical response.

JeffA
Pit Crew

I enjoyed the article about the Don Prudhomme Willys, did you get a chance to look at it.? It was so much fun. Thing is, a car like a Bolt might work as a dd for me. I want to hear about it too, sorry you don’t.
ReinholdWeege
Intermediate Driver

This is an exciting time to be alive. So much good awaits us. Just imagine if we'd had a fleet of autonomous, electric cars when the pandemic started? Right away we could have been truly quarrantined with non-essential travel shut down. Unfortunately, I'm also alive at a time when the olds object and slow down the new era. We'll win in the end.
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Are you being sarcastic? I sure as heck dont need to have my world shut down for a flu.Or gov controlling where I can or cannot go and when.That also comes with the EV future,not a future I want.Do you need for politico's agenda to define the new world? No thank you,I want freedom to travel and on my terms,not yours.
OldRoad
Instructor

Don't try to reason with a greenie. They enjoy being owned and operated by the Collective Congressional Communist Party (cccp).
ReinholdWeege
Intermediate Driver

Communists? lol, it's not 1950 any more. 

ReinholdWeege
Intermediate Driver

How sad that superstisius people are afraid of things that make life better. Why should I be concerned about people knowing where I am, or how I spend my money if I'm not breaking any laws? Especially when the benefits, like being found in an accident or a carjacking, so far outway the imaginary downside. The new generation doesnt have these hang ups. 

Cookies
Pit Crew

I’m with spoom....
Mockingbird
New Driver

Well, at least it's not the worst looking EV ever made. I guess that's progress at Green Motors. I've yet to see anyone of substance (auto manufacturer, government agency, electric utility, etc.) address the elephant in the room: power generation capacity. All that new charging infrastructure will be useless without considerable new construction in power plants.
OldRoad
Instructor

Looks like a MACH E with a Bow Tie. Like every other EV.
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Still impractical IMO,the range is just stupid at this point.At least the dash looks like some thought went onto it unlike the so called mustang and the tablet hot glued to the dashboard.And whats up with the ice inspired front ends? Dont need a phony grill insert,just model it out,not needed.

Still needs a lot more,including fast charges in 10 minutes and an electrical grid that can handle it.Maybe the 2035 time frame can address those issues.But I think its going to be longer out to get the grid built up,thats not going to be cheap and we dont have money like we did in the past for this.
leduced
Intermediate Driver

Right, the Gov't is giving it away faster than it can print it. YEA - LIBTARDS..

RJMatt
Intermediate Driver

Spuds,
The grill is functional. Cooling is needed for the controller and other electronics used in the motor control/charging systems. For charging, I'd like to see batteries built in a pack that could be removed and replaced in 5 minutes on ALL electric cars. Three or four sizes to cover the range of cars would be a 5 minute fuel up, about like now.
Spuds
Advanced Driver

You can do it with a small grill across the bottom,dont need a plastic solid panel where the grill used to be.I get EV batteries and controllers need cooling.
Im not into the battery pack replacement every charge,imagine the infrastructure that would take,I dont like jippy lube lining up and letting those monkeys touch my car.
No,still too many issues with EVs now IMO.
elldorado2000
Intermediate Driver

7 hours to fully recharge the battery? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Good enough to go to the corner store, but you won't be driving that thing cross country anytime soon. I like the concept of an electric car, but the battery might as well be from 1920 because that is where it is taking us.
bblhed
Advanced Driver

Reality check, at some point these will either be normal everyday cars or the EV will do what it did the last time when it was a better choice than an IC car for so many reasons until it wasn't. No mater what happens to the EV this time around you can bet that in 30 years these will be collectors items of some sort just like Edison cars are today. Not everyone can have nor do they want a Corvette, Mustang, Charger, Chevelle SS 396, or whatever some believe is a "Real Car". As the Woman that collects Saturns proved when she was featured here, If it can move people someone will be interested in it and if you want to ne a naysayer you will likely be ignored by the fan base. I personally like EV's but I also don't have confidence problems that I try to compensate for by owning a muscle car. I was once asked by a 440 six pack Supper Bee owner while showing a home built Hybrid "What if you want to go on vacation". I replied by asking him when was the last time he had driven cross country in his car, answer was never. Then I told him that I was at that time over 200 miles from home and had driven there and that if I wanted to go on a long distance trip I would do what 85% of people do and fly to my destination and rent a car.
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Real life 200 miles in a day? I do it enough that I dont want to maintain 2 cars to be able to do so.Get the charging down to 10 minutes,and an infrastructure to support it I might be on board.Philosophically I really dont care what powers the car so long as its reliable and cost effective Im all for new technology.Pretty good chance EV is the future,the oil economy is losing out to the electric economy,I have no problem with that.Just make it a market moving improvement,not edict demanding step backwards.Funny USPS is only doing 10% of fleet electric because 'it costs too much' but gov is just fine demanding we pay those costs in our personal lives.Shaking your head yet?I am.Not good for us,but you plebs? Just fine for you.
This is 1 area where I start having problems with EVs....
js100
Intermediate Driver

Finally, GM is getting the message that EV cars aren't supposed to look like a prop from some bad sci-fi movie. Nice looking, functional, and no "iPad dash interface". I'm still confused about all of the teeth gnashing about range. 250 miles is about 10X what typical city drivers need for daily operation. Most people have no problem plugging in their smartphone every night, why not the car? I realize that filling an ICE vehicle is faster, but nobody was complaining about "range" in their '70 440 6-pack beast, which by the way is just slightly faster 0-60 than this new commuter EV. How about a formula of 100 mile range, light (cheaper) battery pack, resulting in faster acceleration, better driving dynamics, basically a fun to drive vehicle, that could cost less? Oh, and maybe remember to make it look attractive?
Spuds
Advanced Driver

"That would cost less" HAHAHAHAHAHAAA! Thats not happening.
Real life is about 25% less than advertised for starters.Even worse in cold weather.Much worse.Yes,range matters...a LOT.Im spoiled,I like unlimited vrs any range you care to quote.And yes,believe it or not I have a problem plugging in my smart spy device every night too.Though most dont.Alexis just agreed with me....does you car agree with you? Mine doesnt,it doesnt spy on me.
Dave404
Detailer

I was thinking of ordering one of these until I got to the part about self driving and Super Cruise monitoring your eyes. Ain't gonna happen now. I deactivated OnStar from my diesel truck. I'm just going to keep that truck forever now. I hope the big brother tactics sink GM once and for all.
Maestro1
Instructor

It's atrocious. Like all the computers on wheels being made today. We're doing it wrong. The first thing to do is have all these trumpeting manufacterers to shut up and build a national infrastructure for charging cars. Then the joint venture sponsors training for wrenches in the US who will know how to fix one of these stupid things if they fail in Armpit Nebraska. Both Dealer Service Departments as well as the Independent guy out there. Then make the parts available in parts stores or stand alones so that owners can find them easily and the cars aren't hung up for weeks.
That includes body parts. Then after all that ship the cars. if you want everybody to buy into this latest idiocy.
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Maestro1,a critical thinker.You nailed it brother.
CitationMan
Instructor

The manufacturers want the infrastructure built with Other People’s Money.

Mark_AJ2X
Intermediate Driver

Sounds like GM may finally be producing some cars for the future that folks with modest commutes might want to own. Encouraging. But what's up with that grill? The upper part looks like it's been covered in (body color) duct tape, or one of those radiator-blocking fabric panels seen on IC vehicles in the frozen north. A blank space would look better.
TheModelCitizen
Pit Crew

Question: Given "...the Bolt carefully monitors your eyes in order to assess attention levels", how does this work if you are wearing glasses? Sunglasses?
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Great question. When tested sunglasses did not have a noticeable effect on the monitoring system. We were cautioned if any of us were wearing our masks at the wheel, that might affect the system as well, but it didn't. Closed eyes and head tilt/turn are what it's really looking out for
Figgy308
Intermediate Driver

Most people here are car people. but probably 70% of vehicle owners are not. They have unwashed cars, don't care about them and see it as an appliance. You can see what they want here, a tall riding, zippy car. For them the inconvenience of plugging it on to charge is a hassle, but when you've standing in a wet puddle that is a mixture of diesel and water at a filling station, that is an annoyance.
sharkguy48
Intermediate Driver

For the life of me, why in the world would anyone want to take her/his hands off the steering wheel and let a computer drive the car? Just one more opportunity to be distracted - a dangerous and neglectful condition.
While everyone of us "enthusiasts" has an opinion about EVs, there is one obvious fact we can't ignore. The present administration (like it or not) has been steadily reducing US energy production of oil. Gas prices have been skyrocketing in California in the last 30 days where premium gas is over $5 per gallon at some locations and still rising. As a logical result, EVs look more attractive (no gas, oil, overheating, tune ups) but, their demand for electricity will increase. No one in California or most anywhere else wants nuclear plants or electricity produced by coal burning plants. My question is; Where will we get all the needed electricity? (Perhaps Texas utility engineers will come up with the answer since they had a "real life experience" with energy production.)
Spuds
Advanced Driver

I just paid 4.50 for premium.No agendas at work Im sure.(sarc off)
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

There is ALWAYS the law of unintended consequences! People nowadays are very quick to adopt new technologies without realizing the ramifications of that tech. For example, the vast majority does not realize (or care) that Alexa or Siri listens to them 24/7/365 in order to fulfill their requests. When Onstar debuted, I noted that if they were able to unlock your car when you locked them inside while in "WayOutThere, USA", then they would also be able to track you! I wonder if the possibility exists that records could be subpoenaed in a divorce case to prove infidelity?; cellphones checked for usage prior to a fatality causing accident; camera systems can be hacked; so can "smart home" systems... Just some thoughts... I'm neither for or against electric cars. I have already purchased what will probably be my last new car. However, I also realize, that someday in the future, a little electric runabout might be just what I'd need due to my age related limited driving. The only constant is change!! 🙂
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Weve already seen hackers hack electronics in cars.Let your mind go down the rabbit hole on those consequences in your self driving machines.
woodyambison
Pit Crew

Hey Gang Hope I'm not the only one who thinks $40,000 plus plus plus is a reasonable price for a new car that can only go for 260 miles. Not a chance for me. Plus who is going to fund the needed infrastructure? Stupor Cruise ? I am DONE.
Cookies
Pit Crew

Everyone gets a long extension cord..and since no one locks their doors and we all own everything as we travel we pull over and plug into any house we see.....come on, man...

Waterboy1KHY80
Intermediate Driver

No Thanks. I retire in two years and will be eliminating as much "tech" from my life as possible, along with getting out of the frozen terrorist zone known as MI. I am building one performance car and will have several others that will run on E85+ and will hold out as long as I can till the blood is running in the streets, then its all over.
chrlsful
Instructor

really wishing usa to catch ahold of this EV production. Guess it's gotta B the SUV but hate them as much as the public did w/the minivan (Town'n Country clones) '83 - 2003. Had my money on elleon but never spread thru the Majors. We simply need what the other countries R doing - help frm the colleges, more corp $ to R&D and yes, government aid (where's the charging stations?).
mhealy1
Detailer

Too much political rant here...just saying.
I’m a suburbanite. An EV would be perfect for me. I have four charging stations at work, and every third day I could charge, not even using a Level 2 at home. We’re a two car family so until the charging infrastructure is up to speed, and charging times come down, I’d just use the ICE car in my garage for longer trips.
Right now, however, I’m in rural Iowa. I’m in a town of 1000, give or take. I-80 is almost 30 minutes away. The nearest airport (other than local) is over an hour. Half the roads are gravel. I don’t have cell service. Pickups rule, and they are used for work rather than as a fashion statement. All this talk of an electric, automated future is by urbanites, for urbanites. We forget that the vast majority of our land mass looks like where I’m at, even if it’s not populated by the vast majority of our people.
My point? EVs won’t work here. If the infrastructure for cell service hasn’t happened yet, how long will it take for EV support? What about -14F, headlights on, defroster full blast, and wipers dancing across the windshield? What’s your range now? Is it enough to get to Walmart and back?
Change takes time. Big change takes longer. 15 years is not enough.