cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Review: 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe | Hagerty Media

Fuel economy was never part of Jeep's appeal; even the four-cylinder "CJ" models were as notoriously thirsty as the GIs who had driven their predecessors around England in the 1940s. That has to change, if the brand is going to maintain its enviable cross-cultural appeal. Enter the hybrid-electric Wrangler 4xe (four-by-E).
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/review-2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe/
43 REPLIES 43
TacoSueno
Pit Crew

no thanks- another dweeby hybrid.
Rider79
Instructor

"Dweeby"? Hardly. You are thinking of the Prius, Leaf, etc.
TacoSueno
Pit Crew

sorry but a jeep with all the luxury stuff isnt a jeep anymore add that hybrid eco junk and its just for posing

77GL
Intermediate Driver

Jeepers cats man, even this hybrid idea is at least two decades old. Jeeps should be cheap, really cheap, almost free. They are completely void of a fresh idea, look, design or anything that requires thought leadership or money.
BMD4800
Instructor

Have you been to the grocery store? What about the hardware store?

CPI is out of control.

Soon, the President will put on his best, most soothing sweater, and lecture us on the finer points of embracing discomfort, mediocrity, and a reduced economic output.
64jeepsrt
Intermediate Driver

Hello 77GL-
I can tell you that the Jeep community really doesnt like changes in look or design and they dont mind spending the money. I work for a tier 1 supplier for jeep and we work 7 days a week and holidays non stop to supply them with components... so their are alot of somebodys out there buying them.
elldorado2000
Intermediate Driver

While the driving experience sounds fantastic, it sounds like a maintenance nightmare. An engine, turbo and hybrid drivetrain in a Chrysler product. If that doesn't make you break out in a sweat, it should. I would use that $7500 tax credit on an extended bumper to bumper warranty.
Islander
Intermediate Driver

That's exactly what I was thinking, plus an extra 700 lbs of toxic waste that might catch fire.
Not like 4 wires and a carburetor in the olden times.
I don't know, $40 K or so?? A bit steep
XXXMIKEXXX
Pit Crew

A BIG YAWN !!!!!
gfviperman
Detailer

Super job by Jeep!!! They will sell ....
MrKnowItAll
Detailer

Why does this deserve a $7500 credit, paid for by taxpayers? More virtue signalling, please....at taxpayers expense.
A toy for the well heeled doesn’t need nor deserve a tax break. Especially for a “hybrid”.

Numberscruncher
Detailer

New = Boooooring!
HASCpres2019
Intermediate Driver

I lost all interest in Jeep with the demise of the TJ in 2006. They're too big and too complicated ,and appear to me to be Hummer wannabes. Just my humble opinion,of course. To each their own. My mint '99 TJ is a keeper.
Mal
Pit Crew

"My Jeep was the last real Jeep!" - Every Jeep owner since 1948.
Studenorton
Instructor

Ha ha you funny. Go to gulag.
You have ignored all the Bantam owners in Butler.
THEY had the last real Jeep.
BMD4800
Instructor

Like it or not, without a major change in Government this is the future. Most likely the best option for our future.

The reason being is most on a certain side are pushing hard for zero tailpipe emissions. This is going severely impact what vehicles are available, how often their core platforms are redesigned, and most importantly their utility.

For those pointing fingers at Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat/Stellantis/Dollar General/whomever is running them now days, Honda had troubles switching over to little tiny engines with turbos, so even the giants of reliability are struggling.

I’ve said it before and will keep repeating it, this specific type of hybrid system, and many others have similar systems, is by far the best and most reliable for a real-world broad application. Completely reEngineering the fleet to 100% electric is going to bankrupt at least half the automakers. Ford, for example, won’t survive if forced into a zero emissions world and that is precisely why they, along with GM, are pushing to get everyone in the same boat.

They shut down a coal plant that supplies power to our ranch. Now the price of juice has increased significantly. With an electric mandate will come an absurd increase in off-peak demand. Ironic that to supplement the power supply, then power company built a BioMass power plant. With a neat Bio-name, green logos, and cool environmental overtones. They burn trees to produce power. This is the insanity that surrounds us.

You may not like the Jeep Hybrid, but when your (insert favorite) requires an 8 hr charge, but you only have 6 hrs, and the power used to charge your vehicle has an extra tax bringing to cost to $0.25-0.35/kWH, it will be too late.

(BTW, those are real projections for a zero emissions future)
MattK
Detailer

True I have a 2013 GMC Terrain AWD. I have to say I really like this vehicle. It does what it is supposed to "On the Road". It doesn't pretend to do something it's not built for. The Problem is the power. A 2.4L 4 CYL. Engine hauling around 3853 Ibs of Vehicle, all for gas mileage. The Mileage is good but don't expect to get there in a hurry.
ValterPrieto
Pit Crew

It is really insane, and the "progressists" really believe in this panacea. Sadly, with many engineers among them....
77GL
Intermediate Driver

Ranchers should know that rural electricity is here and stays here because of extremely large subsidies.

BMD4800
Instructor

yeah, no.   

The subsidies here go to the wind farms, the bio-mass (tree burning), and the massive Nuke plant that each have a significantly higher power cost than the coal, Nat Gas, and Hydro suppliers.  

The coal plant was MASSIVE, had its own railroad and mines to supply fuel, had been updated to the most current emissions controls, and provided low-cost, reliable power to the western grid.   It was decommissioned (3 of 5 are off-line now) because of and ONLY because of, the war on coal.  

Period.  

It also was a source of significant income to many communities for generations.
To say it was subsidized, in an attempt to justify the destabilization of the energy market, or worse to justify burning ground-up trees for energy, is the peak of ignorant know-nothingness.   Further, California buys a significant amount of energy from other states (Western Grid) to keep the pollution NIMBY.    

subsidized...

Yup.  Go fuel up with Citgo then.  

OldRoad
Instructor

You can be sure comrade government will, in the near future, commandeer a sizable parcel of your ranch for a solar and or wind turbine farm. And you, being a good comrade citizen, will be happy to give up your fair share of property to your comrade government to avoid paying an extended tax on the parcel of comrade government's choice for said projects. The above may sound facetious to you but from what I've witnessed during the last administration? Those same tactics are right out of the Soviet Play Book. The Marxist Bible. The best course I took in high school was text from a true school book titled World History. I mean true because this book texted the truth. What the Russians did to their people after the 1917 revolution is happening all over again hear and now.
BMD4800
Instructor

East of the highway, they already did.   “Lease” land for a Windmill that makes the land virtually unusable.  

The Windmills aren’t consistent, sit idle on the hottest days, rarely all of them are actually turning.  Even when the ROI reckoning arrives, the massive slab of steel reinforced concrete will remain.   Might as will put a small building on it because you’re not breaking it up.   

we burn young trees for electricity and rely on garbage fast-growth southern yellow pine to build.   

it’s all insanity. 

and yes comrade, 50 square meters.  That’s what the State mandated was appropriate for a family.   I’m surely to be branded the American version of a Kulak. 

StevieJanowski
Pit Crew

I pity da fool who has to deal w the imminent FCA hybrid equipment failure, no doubt right after the warranty expires. And an extra 700 lbs too!
ValterPrieto
Pit Crew

700 pounds !!!!!! a anchor for a big boat !!!!!!! 2 really overweight guys !!!!!! unbelievable!!!!!!!!
OldRoad
Instructor

Don't think I'd want to venture across any tire deep creeks with that kind extra ballast. That is almost an assembled Ford big block you'll be hauling, dead weight.
BMD4800
Instructor

In-laws felt the same way, so the bought a Honda.  
Horrific reliability problems with the cool new turbo 4.  In the first year more days at the dealer than in the garage.   Sounds like EcoBoost 4 banger reliability with a cool “H” badge.  At least the dealer got tons of free advertising from the weeks and months of their loaner roaming around the metro area.  

Studenorton
Instructor

We put over 100,000 miles on a 1994 Cherk with the "Rambler Six". It got 21 MPG on the highway. Neither of the V-6's that replaced the straight six did as well. The new miracle worker gets 22.
There's your "World of The Future."

If you go to electric drive and still use a transfer case and drive axles, you're not actually an engineer.
OldRoad
Instructor

GM hybrids got 24mpg. Not that great. Weight!
dd1
Intermediate Driver

Interesting. of course, it's very pricey and I keep wondering (as with any EV or hybrid EV) how long the batteries will last before having to be replaced. My limited understanding of EV technology--including hybrid--is that the cars work great for the first 150,000 miles (or thereabouts), but after that the batteries tend to bite the dust as well as the generator system of the vehicle. Based on the Prius, from what I've read (assuming I'm reading accurate information) the batteries and generator could cost upwards of $6000 to replace. The EV horror story that keeps flashing through my mind is having to replace batteries every few years. I'm an average person, a layman; I'm not a mechanic or an engineer nor do I possess any kind of special knowledge of this technology. But I can say with great certainty that if the battery systems must be replaced in these vehicles every few years--if they really are that expensive--then it's going to bankrupt more than a few families. I have very mixed feelings about all of this EV stuff. Americans drive--and they drive a lot! It's not uncommon for people to put upwards of 500,000 miles on a traditional ICE vehicle over a 10 or 15 year period with little more than oil changes and standard maintenance (especially on the better made brands like Toyota or Honda). Can these EV battery/charging systems hold out that long without any major repairs? To me that's the key question and I don't think the car companies can answer that right now (and maybe they don't want to!:).
77GL
Intermediate Driver

Batteries from Japan tend to last ten or twenty years.  Batteries from the U.S., just a few years, at best, especially of they come from the Easton plant in PA.

OldRoad
Instructor

Your apprehensions are warranted. I've read print concerning Tesla battery failures are costing $33k. Makes me not want any part of that risk if true. Would not own one for sure if those cost numbers are correct.
brians356
Detailer

I have no problem with having hybrid options available, if there's a market for them. A hybrid makes a lot of sense for a lot of people, depending on where they live and their driving patterns. Bu the statement "the greenest SUV in the world" is just soooo stupid and misleading. The notion that driving a hybrid (all variables considered, including mining rare earths and manufacturing/disposing of batteries) is better for the environment than driving a modern ICE vehicle is pure virtue signaling and statist propaganda. For starters, human activity is not heating up the planet. Yeah, I said it. Even better, more CO2 = a greener planet, since CO2 is pure plant food, over and out.
Caprice81
Intermediate Driver

As the former owner of a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X....I can say without any hesitancy, it was the worst vehicle I've ever owned! Two clutch assemblies were replaced, frozen brakes as well. Add in the "Jeep Death Wobble" which limited the highway speed to 75 before it felt like the wheels were going to fall off.
Enough was enough..I traded it in with 38,000 miles on a Dodge Challenger. The only good thing about it was I got good money for it on the trade. In comparison the Challenger is virtually trouble free and the wheels don't feel like they are falling off at speed !
ValterPrieto
Pit Crew

With all due respect, car makers are playing a political game. Is it really possible to be proud of a vehicle 700 pounds heavier, with less storage volume and more expensive? We have a 2021 Wrangler Sport 4 cylinder auto at home, I wouldn't trade it by the hybrid for nothing.
I absolutely reject more complication in my life.
2004JAGxj8
New Driver

Big deal! I have a Durango all wheel drive R/T that gets better mileage than that. AND QUIET?? You 4 wheelers want quiet?! Are you serious?? These manufacturers can't even find enough computer chips to monitor all of this stuff.And the batteries are so full of toxic substances it's not even funny. Good luck.
HHCO
Intermediate Driver

I have a few with Chrysler Pacifica hybrid minivans and love them.have been trouble free and very good mpg,I have 2018 wrangler Sahara that has been trouble free,the problem I would have with this is beating it off road and with all the cooling and heating the batteries need causing trouble and getting stranded in the boonies,

1956meteor
Intermediate Driver

As a tilt n load tow truck operater, I tow alot of Jeeps. I know the electric vehicles are going to be the most dominant in numbers in the years to come. They are a nightmare to deal with. All I can say is ,that at age 65, I am glad to be on the backside of my working life and look forward to cruising in my 89 Corvette convert, and 94 F150 short bed. The more electric cars there are , the more gas there will be for for me to burn in retierment. Happy motoring. 🙂
Figgy308
Intermediate Driver

When I read the Magneto concept yesterday I was interested and intrigued. This though appears to be a dead-end. It weighs 700 pounds more because you drag an engine around with you. Strange approach.
chrlsful
Instructor

same thing on this as the 'lill guy': what abt the weight of the batteries ? U can't get em down so sit up fulcrum like. The EV, by itself has innumerable advantages tho.
CitationMan
Instructor

They could make a Wrangler with 6 doors that would weigh less. And it would sell better, too.
Dave404
Detailer

Forget the hybrid and electric junk. What's needed are more diesels across all vehicle lines.
Jpdelpozo
Pit Crew

Now this is interesting to say the least! As for me, an electric powered rig, irregardless of what is being said, is simply just too complicated for off road use. Around town and if you never want to take your rig off road, well that's just fine. However for off-road use, the simpler the better. I'd hate to have to do a trail repair to that particular drivetrain out in the middle of nowhere, USA!
Mfb1959
New Driver

Dealer told me today the price on these just went up $18,000. He was shocked and is personally now buying a regular jeep.