cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Review: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E | Hagerty Media

Let's get this out of the way first: This electric SUV is absolutely a proper Mustang-but it's a Mustang in the "1964 1/2 showroom riot" sense, not the "Mystichrome Terminator/GT500KR/Intercooled SVO" sense. Think for a minute about what the Mustang was on its debut. It was a fancy Falcon, a way for people to buy [...]
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/review-2021-ford-mustang-mach-e/
234 REPLIES 234
Sprga1
New Driver

I worked at a Ford dealer when they came out with the 4 door T-Birds, another bright idea. When you try to turn the light on for a Ford better idea, sometimes the bulb is burnt out.
Maestro1
Technician

One of the many reasons I'm a collector and in the old car hobby is so that I don't have to buy something atrocious like this and sit in it like a dummy and let it do whatever it does. i can afford the upscale car as I read the review, which I thank you for, but I won't go near the car because it's ugly,
fat, the tailight treatment is awful, and i refuse to be around that much unnecessary technology. I own several old cars which burn gasoline, and I drive them every week going about my business so that each one gets some excersice. I understand about global warming and I think technology has
enslaved us. I am on the Left Coast where there are smog restrictions and other ulcer producing factors regarding old car ownership and I have survived them. Drive old cars, enjoy their unique qualities, tell the stories instead of some ugly computer on wheels.

jjw
Intermediate Driver

You know, if Ford wants to make an E-SUV, fine... There's about to be a lot of these... it's probably the future. But call it a Mustang?!... What?!... Call it a Maverick.. Falcon... anything but Mustang...
The entire marketing team that came up with, and approved this plan needs to be dismissed and banned from ever working in the car biz again. They obviously have no idea who their customers are. I haven't seen something this stupid since GM put a Saab badge on their Trailblazer...
Numberscruncher
Detailer

Exactly! It *may* or*may not* compete with a Tesla SUV, frankly, I could care less. I don't want or need a SUV, If I ever go electric, it's gonna be a golf cart to run to the grocery store or for puttering around town.
It reminds me of those kits they made back in the 70s, that you could put on a VW Beetle, that made the front end look (with eyes squinted way shut) like the front end of a Rolls Royce. That converted beetle was never a Rolls. This E-contraption may be great for people wanting an e-SUV, but it will *NEVER* be a Mustang. All Ford did was shoot the Mustang Legacy in the foot with this piece of work. Your author should be ASHAMED to claim it is a Mustang.
Sprga1
New Driver

Reminds me of what they did to the good name of Thunderbird. The thing looks like a reworked Focus HB with Mustang tail lights. Should have called it Pinto, Maverick, Falcon, or Thunderbird, not a respected name in sportscars. One can only hope that GM doesn't follow with a 4 door Vette or Camaro. Is the REAL Mustang gone?
trymes
Intermediate Driver

Reading the comments section of this article is hilarious. Not one of the "HOW DARE YOU CALL IT A MUSTANG" people would have even heard of this car if it didn't carry the Mustang name. More importantly, many (most?) of the Mustangs produced over the years were base-model cars that had zero sporting pretensions. Moreover, car sales are drying up: The "regular" Mustang is now the only car Ford sells in the US, I think, or soon will be. Mustang sales aren't skyrocketing, either.

I haven't driven one, but I have ridden in a Mach-E, and it's a very impressive vehicle. While it isn't anywhere close to the author's assertion that "It’s superior to the equivalent Teslas in everything but raw acceleration", it is a rather impressive entry for Ford's first *serious* EV, and probably the closest competitor to a Tesla out there. Sure, the iPace is a good car, but not great and much pricier, and the Taycan is good, but it had better be for that price!

The Mach-E is a handsome car, and you can see the Mustang look in the swell of the fenders. The taillights are hideous, IMHO, and the interior is nice, but the dash crowds in, and can't match the low cowl airy feel of a Tesla Model 3 or Y. The seats aren't as comfortable or supportive as a Tesla, and lack the bolstering they ought to have. Lastly, while the author seems to think that the touchscreen interface of the Ford is superior to the Tesla, that's absolutely not the case. From the dumb slider interface for the heated seats to the weird volume knob obliterating the bottom of the screen, to the clunky feel, it's good, but not great. The screen is also placed oddly in the dash, too vertical, and perhaps too far back into the cabin. Lastly, the Mach-E relies on the Electrify America network and other charging networks, which just can't hold a candle to the Tesla Supercharger network. That will change over time, but not enough to make a difference over the 3-5 years people tend to keep their cars. EV owners charge 95+% at home, but I was able to jump in and do a 360 mile round trip in a Tesla without even thinking: Get in, input the destination into the nav, and go; charge when it tells you to. That isn't possible in the Mach-E, because of the charging network.

The takeaway for me was that Ford still has a ways to go to catch Tesla, but that they should be proud of this car, as it has gotten far closer than anything that has come before, which is all the more remarkable as it's their first serious EV. It's a good car, and there seem to be a lot of people out there that want an EV, but won't consider a Tesla, so I expect it to sell reasonably well.
hankmeister
Pit Crew

Okay, it's a good car. We get it. But it isn't a Mustang, in either form, shape, or function. That's the point.
Mike_B
Intermediate Driver

You are exactly right: none of us would have heard of it if they didn't call it a Mustang. The equally funny thing? No one who buys this electric SUV is going to do so just because they put a pony on it and called it a Mustang.
So why alienate the real Mustang people by putting a phony pony on an SUV? Why not just call it something else?
NG75
New Driver

yes, bring back an old badge; Falcon, Galaxy, Fairlane...
DMcG
Pit Crew

You manage to miss the point entirely. The Mach-E is a fine car. Ford needs it. The Mustang is Ford's halo brand. Ford needs it as well. But the two are very different. Does Porsche sell all its cars as 911s? Are all Chevrolets Corvettes? Are all Toyotas Supras? No, none of those are true. Oldsmobile tried to make three very different cars into Cutlass models at the same time in the mid-80s. It failed miserably. Ford will fail miserably here. This is basic marketing. The Mach-E is brand new, and a completely different concept from anything Ford has done. It deserved its own name; a new name, not one recycled from the dustbin of history. But Ford wasn't that creative. And they will pay the price.
trymes
Intermediate Driver

I forgot to take this assertion to task in my last comment: "About that price: it starts at $42,895 for a short-range RWD Select and jumps up to $54,700 for the extended AWD model provided by Ford for over-the-road testing. $7500 of that may come back to you courtesy of your fellow taxpayers. Much cheaper than the equivalent Tesla..."

This is somewhat true, but really not accurate. The Mustang starts at $42,895, but that's RWD and has a 230 mile range, which compares with the Standard+ Tesla Model 3, which has 260 miles of range costs $37,990. That means that the Mustang actually costs more until you factor in the Federal tax credit, when it ends up being only $2,600 cheaper. The more expensive AWD Mustangs compare more directly with the Tesla Model Y. With AWD and the extended battery, they're at $52,000 before you add any options, while the Long Range Tesla is $49,990.

In other words, once you factor the Tax Credit into the mix, the Mustang ends up being cheaper than the Tesla, but not "Much cheaper" as the article states. Perhaps Ford will start offering incentives or dealers will cut prices to move units, making them "much cheaper" in the future, but they certainly aren't right now.
TG
Technician

Wouldn't you get the same tax credit with the Tesla?
Jack_Hagerty

Tesla's out of tax credits.

To the commenter trymes, I'd suggest he or she look at the standard-equipment lists, and take a gander at the interiors of the respective vehicles. I just drove an $80,000 Model Y that couldn't match the $43k Mach-E for interior materials or finish.
Redawgleader
Pit Crew

I may not recognize car of the year, but I can spot automotive article of the year. Well, at least a top candidate. Great job, Jack. You provided an insightful, forward-thinking appraisal of the car complete with a spot-on historical guidepost. "...electric leadership and fossil-fuel cars. Now we have something like the reverse." Nailed it.
I expect we will look back on this period in time as the turning point when EVs started their move from out of the garages of the virtue-signaling hipsters and onto the driveways of us regular shmoes. The Mach-E lacks only an attainable sticker price to get us there.
TG
Technician

Maybe the mustang badge will bring the appeal of their electric SUV up a few notches, but their electric SUV is going to bring the mustang badge down a few in the process
GM did it right. they built their electric truck platform on something big, clunky, and not noted for handling. I really don't get why they would want to connect this particular vehicle with their sports car brand
50s60s70s
Detailer

Jack, great article. But couldn't disagree more about the mach-e wearing the Mustang Moniker and being an actual Mustang. Two words "Four Doors"
Call it a Falcon, Fairlane, or Torino if you're too lazy or uninspired to come out with an original name. Ford (in my opinion) is definitely doing the same thing to the Mustang they did to the Thunderbird, Cougar, and Torino by trying to capitalize on a well selling product to make it more "appealing" to a fickle fad market by morphing a specific niche market car into another market it wasn't ever originally targeted for. By the way have you looked back on the last generation produced of the Thunderbird, Torino, or Couger.....point made.
Spuds
Advanced Driver

You cant be serious Ford.The thing is an appliance SUV,ugly as all get out both inside and out,and electric no range effin joke.If thats the future people will not be driving cars or owning them.Agenda 21 on steroids.Very sad.
YesDear
Intermediate Driver

Wake me please when you have resurrected the '67 Fastback. This joule belongs up your cathode.
Maximumdispers
New Driver

There goes another legacy when they mix a sports car with an SUV. What were the design team thinking? I guess they wanted to appeal to an older client base.
50s60s70s
Detailer

Not this "older" client im still dragging cars out of junk yards for restoration. 

20200925_135638.jpg

hankmeister
Pit Crew

Gorgeous!!!
Ragtop69
Detailer

Hey, I'm 75 and I still have a mildly modified 1969 Mustang convertible that I drive regularly. I still enjoy making my own decisions. Older clients aren't the ones buying electric self driving vehicles.
Mike_B
Intermediate Driver

I think they wanted to appeal to a YOUNGER client base. Those 20 and 30-somethings with a family to transport. In exchange they have alienated the older client base, with more disposable income, by prostituting an icon beloved by them.

They should have just called it something else instead of putting a phony pony on it.
DMcG
Pit Crew

It's not the design team. They did a fine job making a contemporary electric SUV. It's the marketing wizards, thinking they could pawn that off as a "Mustang." HUGE mistake.
carguyjim
Detailer

I accept innovation and attempts at greatness... I just find electric and hybrid cars without soul and passion. I was impressed at my hotrod neighbor's son exhibition of speed in his new Tesla in front of my home, with no sound other than twisting tires.
It just seems to bolster my belief that these cars are like sex without sound... I need all my senses aroused and that happens when fuel is ignited.... "Dinosaur speak"
Frankpav
Pit Crew

"Dinosaur Speak", love it!
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

My first thought upon seeing the interior was "my, how Tesla-like"! The touch screen installation (IMO) looks as though it was a last minute afterthought. Styling is subjective, I don't care at all for the front end. The marketing ploy to attract buyers with the cachet of the Mustang heritage doesn't impress me either. Mach E?!? Why not Galaxi E, if you've just got to come with some cutesy name denoting an electric powerplant? Then they confuse the issue by saying that "this is not a Mustang", but all the ads state that "we've created a new Mustang?!?" In the 70's GM's Cutlass was the hottest thing, and what did they do?; start naming everything Cutlass: Supreme/Salon/Ciera/etc. Maybe this will work, since SUV's are the thing now; only time will tell.
Ragtop69
Detailer

Under "Ford" see Thunderbird for an example of what bloodless marketing and P.R. professionals can do to a popular marque. The end of the Mustang is upon us.
PSuomela
Pit Crew

Yuck! Butt ugly!! Not a “real” Mustang in my book. I like Mustangs, but I’ll stick with Corvettes.
jd426
New Driver

The real point here, is that like all ev's, the demand has been legislated by politicians (and "green" nazis...), rather than the forces of commerce (supply and demand). Still want one?. Then best buy a few boxes of candles. Because you're going to need them when the rest of the herd plugs their ev's in to the mains.
drhino
Technician

Sad. It just makes me sad.

All electric cars; brands like Porsche and Ferrari building SUVs; the demise of the manual transmission; tech on vehicles when the established way of doing things was simpler and better (like real gauges)...

I know; I’m old.
hunternicholas
Detailer

It's not that you're old. It's that you have an actual brain and the ability to utilize gauges and manual transmissions, unlike people under a certain age now a days. These younger people have no interest in cars or driving, and part of the reason is due to manufacturer's building boring crap like this offering from Ford. And then producing it in Mexico adding further to our disinterest because we don't get to take part in building it, or those jobs to be able to buy one.
CP66
Detailer

I'm sure Ford has paid you well for this thinly veiled advertisement but make no mistake; Ford's entry into the electric SUV market is NOT, I repeat NOT a Mustang.
Jack_Hagerty

You mean, the thinly veiled advertisement that suggests you buy something else and complains about the price?

I wouldn't pay very much for an ad like that! "Mustang Mach-E: Buy Something Else"
SAF1952
Pit Crew

No thanks! I'll stick with my '71 Mach 1. Sounds like a "real" car without having computer generated sound. And if I can convince my wife, I'll buy a '21 Mach 1. In other words, a real Mustang. Money better spent IMHO.
Badgas
Pit Crew

Change the horse on the grill and call it a Pinto-E
TimK
Advanced Driver

Why would you insult the Pinto brand that has already been drug though the mud with the lies about being prone to fires? Given the number of Pintos produced, their track record on that issue is no worse than any other car of that size and even many larger cars and/or trucks. There are cars with much worse track records. Did the $15 plastic shield Ford did not install until the recall fix the problem? I doubt it because getting rear ended in any small car of the period by a larger car could likely result in a fire and it still happens these days with some more prone than others. Regarding badging this Mustang-E, I wouldn't want to call it the Pinto-E. I wouldn't even want to call it the Edsel-E.
hunternicholas
Detailer

Well said!
hunternicholas
Detailer

You deserve the thumbs-up I gave you. But I liked my three Pinto's a lot. I can't stand this thing.
Islander
Detailer

Sure, a plug-in can move about without polluting, but nothing is free, there's a half-ton or more of toxic waste in that battery that someday will leave a big footprint somewhere.
I will bet it's possible to build an ICE that's pollution free, or nearly so.
Please, leave out the flat screens, they're unsafe at any speed.
1chuck1
New Driver

Much of the material (lithium, cobalt, nickel, copper) in an EV battery can be recycled,  although it is, at the moment, pricey. That will surely change as the number of batteries available for recycling increases. The batteries also can be repurposed (storing energy from solar panels, for example) once they can no longer hold enough charge for automotive use. From what I've read, Nissan is using old Leaf batteries to power streetlights in Japan, and GM is using old Volt packs for power backup.

What's more, EV batteries have shown remarkable longevity -- those in, say, the first-gen electric RAV 4 and Honda Insight hybrids are still plugging along.

Badgas
Pit Crew

How this car came to be: From the Exhalted Senior Mucky Muck at Ford Future Products Division."I THINK IT'S HIGH TIME FORD CAME OUT WITH AN ELECTRIC 4-DOOR MUSTANG, WHAT DO YOU THINK JENNINGS"?!! jennings:" i think whatever YOU think is a great idea sir"!!!
hankmeister
Pit Crew

There's no way this car should have the Mustang name attached to it. Ford should've just made it something new, whatever they wanted to call it for their entry into electric car world. But Mustang? Never.
jlalbrecht
Pit Crew

I love Jack Baruth's writing. I like this new Mustang, but don't love this new Mustang. I want something electric (pun intended) worth trading in my 328xi for. This is going in the right direction, but I want more of a driver's car, without supporting that **bleep** Musk or paying a Porsche price for an electric Q5.
Great writing and super informative article as usual from Baruth.
jlalbrecht
Pit Crew

Auto censor on obscenities. 🤣😂🤣🙈
Glacier
Pit Crew

I live in NYC where people commute to work in an elevator. Mach-E is much like that. Piped-in sound, climate controlled, kinda nice inside, press-button destination; only difference is the ability to move horizontally.
Looking forward to the Ford vs. Otis Comparison Test.
Mike_B
Intermediate Driver

I think it's funny that the author initially states that "this is absolutely a proper Mustang", and then goes on to describe it throughout the review as an SUV! Sorry buddy, but a "proper Mustang" is NOT an SUV, just as the Mach-E is NOT a proper Mustang.
You can put a phony pony on an Explorer just as easily and call it anything you want, but that doesn't make it a "proper Mustang". Ford could have called it anything else and it would still be what it is: an electric SUV. And it would still have sold / will sell just as well to the people who don't know about or care about real Mustangs.
Hell, even if it eventually comes to out perform real Mustangs, that's ok! It wouldn't be the first time that the Mustang wasn't the horse-power flagship of the Ford fleet.

I don't need another SUV in the household. I'll save my money for a proper electrified Mustang, thank you very much.
Jack_Hagerty

I see where you're coming from, but my point was the Mustang was originally just a fancy compact car. This is just a fancy crossover. Much of what we think of as the Mustang essence was added long after the fact.
That being said, I'll take a Mach 1 and a punch in the face over a Mach-E.
Billthecat707
Instructor

Yes Jack, but the Mustang name has come to be identified as something more enjoyable than a fancy crossover or compact car. Using it this way dilutes the brand, even if the majority of Mustangs are base models.
sclin10
Instructor

I knew the Mustang. The Mustang was a friend of mine. You sir, are no Mustang!