cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Review: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E | Hagerty Media

Let's get this out of the way first: This electric SUV is absolutely a proper Mustang-but it's a Mustang in the "1964 1/2 showroom riot" sense, not the "Mystichrome Terminator/GT500KR/Intercooled SVO" sense. Think for a minute about what the Mustang was on its debut. It was a fancy Falcon, a way for people to buy [...]
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/review-2021-ford-mustang-mach-e/
234 REPLIES 234
FloridaBoy
New Driver

Does it burst into flames when hit from the rear?
60sman
New Driver

Not crazy about the exterior. It looks just like every other SUV out there with mustang tail lights. I hate the interior. Always liked Mustangs but you have lost me now.
TonyT
Instructor

Mr. Baruth, you've done us all a disservice by failing to include information about (A) which Ford dealers are going to be able to service the MockeryE, and (B) what kind of resale value will it have after the lease is up. Given the reported number of Cadillac dealers taking the GM buyout to avoid having to sell them anymore, I can't see the situation being that much better for Ford, especially the Lincoln division's plan for a pure-electric vehicle. This shift to electric vehicles is going to reveal a very ugly truth regarding the ability of power providers to furnish enough electrons for business, residential and vehicular needs plus a slight cushion. And even the "quick" charge process will still take longer to perform than it would take to fill the tank of a 40 foot diesel pusher motorcoach. Sell enough EV's and pretty soon there will be lines at the charging stations. What happens if a massive snowstorm causes a days-long blackout? I guess I'm too reality-based to see ownership of an EV as ideal. It makes sense in a densly populated urban environment, but out here in the Mojave Desert where I live, it falls a bit short. And I will leave that other 800 pound gorilla in the room alone, you know, the part about the destruction of the earth necessary to mine and refine the natural elements it takes to make the batteries...
sglmalt
New Driver

Sorry, there nothing Mustang about this except the horse logo some idiot at Ford slapped on it as an afterthought and a way to capitalize on the Mustang name to push a SUV. Mustangs were never a vehicle for the whole family. They have always been 2-door, 2+2, personal sporty cars. Not general purpose move the whole family SUV’s. This thing, no matter how much propaganda Ford puts out to convince us it should be a Mustang, will ever be a real Mustang. Ford is going to kill over 55 years of history and the mystique of the Mustang with this vehicle. If they had called it anything else, I am sure everyone would have been behind it. But to blatantly slap the Mustang name on a SUV, is simply wrong. It makes no difference how quick is. Putting the Mustang name on this vehicle is simply wrong. The world seems to have gone SUV mad for some reason. Enough is enough already.
Numberscruncher
Detailer

Preach it!
RJMatt
Intermediate Driver

The dial DOES work with magnets. Been used on High end two way radios and test equipment for years.
My problem, I will NOT run ANYTHING off my phone, and I will NEVER buy an Apple phone for myself! Growing up in Cupertino, and seeing how Apple did things gave me that view.
I like my 2015 GL350 Bluetec SUV. Seats 7, and will pull a 7,500lb travel trailer for my retirement home.
Redvette2
Intermediate Driver

Had my interest until the third and fourth pictures showing the big center display. This is also the reason I am not a Tesla fan either. I too think they should have called it something else.
CarGuy75
New Driver

Others here have mostly nailed it....slapping a pony on a porky pig does not suddenly make a new era icon. Sad that FORD has tried to sully the good name of Mustang with yet another bad looking PC EV. Please FORD, try to stick to your solid trucks, like my Raptor, (and the core Mustangs) and avoid the ill-conceived, near term EV idiocy.
GoldSS
New Driver

Another fail for Ford. You really outdid yourself this time, Looks like a Prius. LOL.
jaydee325
Pit Crew

Sorry Jack, you missed the mark for me on the comparison of this to the original Mustang. Was that idea something in the press kit?

BEVs just don't work for me at this point. Infrastructure is the main issue. We make frequent trips from SW Michigan to Minneapolis, Mn to visit our grand kids. Doing a route showing charging stations along the way results in a Walmart at the approximate location where we gas up and take a quick bathroom break normally. So, until I can charge on a trip with no inconvenience to what I've experienced all my life, I'm out on BEVs.
Jack_Hagerty

The press kit would have you believe it's equivalent to the current Mustang, not to the relatively tepid original.
CarlJensen
Pit Crew

While the vehicle is a disappointment, many would argue that it is also not green. At the powertrain conference in Aachen, Germany last year, it was pointed out that EVs, are worse than a fuel efficient gasoline car from birth to death. Consider the excessive strip mining of copper for an EV that uses 5x the amount on an average, then the mining of lithium, which is an extremely dirty brine processes that pollutes the water. Then of course there is the generation of electricity. Finally, there is absolutely no effective recycle plan. Copper mining will also need to increase by another 250% to install the nation's infrastructure.
McBleedy
Pit Crew

And by the time the power grid catches up to charge these on renewable energy, the vehicles will be obsolete and Ford will expect you to buy another one. I also expect them to build in a 10-year kill switch like they did with their Fusion hybrids.
SteveC
New Driver

This is the oddest article yet on Hagerty. Reading all through the article, it sounds like this is a cheap Chinese knock-off of a Tesla. You describe a mediocre vehicle in every way. Low quality materials, integration with the phone is unreliable, a shift knob that looks like a forgotten add-in, premium stereo that's just "okay", and it's a car best driven as a "disinterested ... economic unit", which handles like a "middling SUV". Then, you go on to say it is "superior to the equivalent Tesla in everything". Yeah, right.

Sorry, but it's still a $55k car and should be properly sorted out. It's not. Clearly, it's just another Ford that is designed to last 8 years and throw away. This will be a successful project only with those who are Ford die-hards.
spoom
Technician

Amen, sing it brother! They're discontinuing my $52k Lincoln because, "it's not what the public wants", and this thing IS? No, it's what they're railroading mfrs. into, and I guess my next sedan will be a Genesis. Hopefully a Made in Alabama one.
Oldimpala
Intermediate Driver

My father owned a G80. Traded in a 330i X-Drive for it.

He liked it so much, he is now driving an Outback daily. To describe the software/interface as half-baked would be an insult to half-baked things everywhere.

Plus, the car would randomly discharge it's electrical system from time to time, get a flatbed ride to a local Genesis dealer. Jump started. Run fine for 6 to 8 weeks, and do it again.

He was kinda happy when he dumped it back after the lease... Plus, lease don't buy. Check the resale values after two years (what I instructed him to do, and he was thankful.)

That's the *only* car I recommend leasing, ever.
Jack_Hagerty

As bad as the Mach-E is at doing many things, it's better than the Tesla Model Y (with which it semi-directly competes) at nearly everything.

I drove a Model Y almost directly before the Mach-E. There's no comparison. The Mach-E is built to industry standards far above what Tesla permits.
Bmike
Detailer

I'm not a Luddite, but I'm not sure you could sit me down in that thing and expect me to operate it. The next time I rent at the airport, I may need a little more time with the valet. Plus, it's ugly.
1953Buick
Pit Crew

mmm......not the same as the '69' GT fastback we once owned! That one had a 351, tied to a 4 speed that you really had to drive, as it also had a heavy duty clutch!
Do not really like an electric vehicle that relies on the driver having a cell phone! Sorry, Ford, but we don't have a cell phone!.....now what do we do? Does everyone in the world own a cell phone?
An other thing, what's with some of these 'EV's' having a big, bloody screen, right in front of the driver! Another distraction we don't need! Guess I'm getting too old 🙂 !
Realmongo
Pit Crew

It might be a great 4-Door SUV for a family, but a Mustang it most certainly is not. If Ford wanted to reuse a name for it, they should have chosen something like Cougar. Or is the ultimate goal to shove this down our throats as a Mustang, while discontinuing the real Mustang on their transition to 0 cars?
tdskip
Intermediate Driver

@CarlJensen - um, how to put this politely, but your post is far from objective and obviously biased against EVs. Can't be credible when deliberately making a conclusion then trying to support it.
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Look,if you want an ugly impractical car,go for it.Go drive your toaster.Its HIDEOUS in all respects.
spoom
Technician

"Truthfully, the best way to drive this car is to set it to “1-Pedal Mode”, turn on all the automatic driving features, and simply exist as a largely disinterested consumer/economic unit..." doesn't SOUND anything like, "absolutely a proper Mustang" at all. Should be a continuation of the Taurus if they HAD to re-use an existing name.
MrBill-1943
Detailer

Sorry guys no EV for me. The smells and sounds of a full V-8 rumbling down the road is my idea of a good, no make it a GREAT driving day (I own 2 a 87 MC SS and a 2016 300S Hemi). What's next NASCAR with silent cars going around the track? How about piped in sounds of the past roaring motors piped into speakers? I think not so no Green for me.
RobertLLR
Intermediate Driver

Why the blazes can't EV's have a conventual car-like arrangement of switches and controls, rather than these maddening video game screens? An EV is just a car with a different propulsion system. Why can't we be allowed to operate it like a car, rather than like a computer? Why all the confusing cell-phone tie-ins, endless menus and the blasted touch screens that requires the driver to concentrate on the screen rather than on the road?

In several states it's (thankfully) illegal to operate your cell phone while driving. Where, then, is the sense in having to use your phone to operate the car itself? Where has rationality gone?

We bought a used 2013 Leaf and we love the 70% reduction in fuel costs per mile--not to mention the economy of eliminating almost fluid changes, as well as every bit of intake, exhaust, and emissions control systems related maintenance. But we also love the way it does what cars should do: go (fairly fast, too!) stop, turn--all while allowing us us operate the AC/heater and radio like we always have--with nice, simple, tactile and intuitive knobs and switches. No touch screens needed, and even the gauges look fairly conventional.

I also detest this keyless operation fad. Never mind that it is easily hacked, putting your ride at the convenient beck and call of cyber-saavy thieves. (Fortunately, no one wants to steal a 7-year-old stripper econo-box.) But this proximity key thing is a nobody-asked-for fix for a-nobody-knew-it-needed fixing problem.

We'd love to switch up to a long-range EV; but not until you can get one with controls that look like a car's controls and with an information display provided by analog-like gauges.
AlpinaC2
Pit Crew

When you see the nomenclature "Mustang" on new Ford vehicles it is corporate trying to walk back not building any cars but the Mustang. Thus if you want to enter the electric vehicle realm with a new model calling it a Mustang is the only way to live up to your 2018 statement. They should have preserved the Mustang label and ate their own words by introducing the EV as a change from the previous ridiculous statement of not building cars. They could blame global warming/chilling as the need to reverse their stance, but that would take the people who said "no cars" being a little more sophisticated.
rokky
Intermediate Driver

The Mustang is now officially Dead.
Ford has wanted to discontinue the Mustang for some time and now they have accomplished it.
They electrocuted it.
This is not a Mustang this is just another Battery operated SUV.
Why did Ford use the Mustang name for this Clown Car?
Hopefully GM will not destroy the Camaro and Dodge Mutilate the Challenger this way..
stevecobb45
Detailer

Let's see if I got everything, looks like crap, has no performance & is too expensive. Check
TimK
Detailer

But it does have a silly “Propulsion Sound” feature. And just wait until the cold northern winter weather sets in. From what I read, lithium batteries lose discharge much faster.
spoom
Technician

But you could heat the batteries in cold weather by diverting the passenger compartment's heat to the battery pack. (What are you doing, Dave?) This heat would also be, "green" because it would be produced by the battery pack...

silverado
Intermediate Driver

Boy oh boy what a way not to go. UGLY CAR, NO WAY. I don't even want to sit in one less alone drive it. No more old school, boys it's gone. Maybe with the sound system being better you could get a recording of a real 289 solid lift going thru a 4 speed with dual exhaust. IT'S A SHAME Bye, bye horsey.
jspboss1
Pit Crew

Lets get THIS straight, the MACH E is absolutely NOT a proper Mustang ...................

END OF STORY ...................................
RedRyder_SFZ
Intermediate Driver

I’m sorely disappointed in this vehicle. I needn’t repeat what’s been said here a hundred times over. Just shaking my head in disappointment.
spark123
Detailer

WHY????? This is as green as a Hummer H1
THIS IS NO MUSTANG!!!!
IT IS A CRAPPY TESLA MODEL X WITH MUSTANG LIKE APPOINTMENTS!!!
Vintageracer
Pit Crew

I am tired of the taxpayers in this country paying for the subsidy of electric vehicles. All of the people that think EVs will save the planet from the "climate change" hoax should do it by themselves. We do not need to pay for the installation for charging stations either. The electric power grid is supplied by burning copious amounts of fuel. How that can be called zero emissions is another lie.
Cheetah8
Pit Crew

In 1964 I was 23 and racing a 1959 Corvette in CalClub region SCCA. I had watched Pete Corts race his 1964 Falcon V8 against Mike Jones in Bill Thomas' Corvair at Santa Barbara. Everybody was excited about the V8 Mustang and the styling. The V8 made it a Cobra that the average guy could afford and actually live with every day. A 6 cylinder only Mustang would not have been a big seller. It would have been a car for aunt Ellen not a red blooded hot rod that got respect from everybody. Besides it's looks the Mustang's secret was it's light weight. My buddy's girl friend got new Mustang convertible and it had a V8. You guys were obviously taken in by the Ford PR department
Jack_Hagerty

Six-cylinder mustangs notched up over 200,000 sales during the intro year and a half, for what it's worth.

In 1974, the Mustang II sold 385,993 units without an available V-8.
oldmustangs49
Pit Crew

Sorry, you lost me after reading SUV and Mustang in the same sentence but this article is an early April Fools joke...Right.
Numberscruncher
Detailer

I, too, wish it was an early April Fool's joke. But, no, the Folks at Ford are THAT Craven and Soulless.
Swamibob
Instructor

Hey Jack:

That a fine looking Edsel... What? A Mustang? Oh, that's most unfortunate. I was kinda joking with Edsel, it really looks a bit Hyundai, maybe Nissan. Huh, so that's being produced by Ford? Interesting. Not really an EV guy, myself, I like driving. I can't see that being really useful; it can't tow anything, it can't drive very far without needing a charge, it's not really attractive...
A phone, yes I have a cell phone. I keep it for emergencies. What?
Why would I want my car to only run if I have my phone? Sure it means I have my phone with me, but sometimes I leave it behind, for a reason. Sometimes I turn it off, and sometimes, really too often I need to charge it. This thing has enough to do trying to run it heavy butt around, it doesn't need to be charging up this power sucking black-hole of an iPhone.
I have to have the phone with me... That just takes the NSA tracking your every move to a whole new level doesn't it. 🙂 Wow!
Do people realize where the lithium for the batteries and the copper for the charging infrastructure and the energy to run the power plants come from? No, I don't think so either, or this sort of silliness wouldn't be being pushed so hard. Well I guess it's what George Soros wants, so that's what we're going to get. 🙂
Announcer
Pit Crew

Swamibob

Do you realize the know the countries with the largest reserves and who are currently the largest producers of lithium? Do you consider them mortal enemies of the USA?

Chile
Lithium reserves: 8,600,000 MT

Chile was the second biggest producer of lithium last year at 18,000 metric tons (MT), but it has the most lithium reserves in the world by a large amount.

The country reportedly holds most of the world’s “economically extractable” lithium reserves, and its Salar de Atacama hosts approximately 37 percent of the world’s lithium reserve base. SQM (NSYE:SQM) is a key lithium producer in Chile’s Salar de Atacama, and in 2018 it finally reached a long-awaited agreement with Corfo, Chile’s development agency, over royalties. It’s expected that the company’s lithium production capacity will be positively impacted by this resolution.

Albemarle (NYSE:ALB) is another top lithium producer in Chile. Despite short-term volatility, the company is optimistic about long-term lithium demand.

2. Australia
Lithium reserves: 2,800,000 MT

Interestingly, while Australia was the largest lithium-producing country in the world in 2019, it is second in terms of reserves.

The country is home to the Greenbushes lithium project, which is operated by Talison Lithium, a subsidiary jointly owned by lithium producers Tianqi Lithium (SZSE:002466) and Albemarle. The project is known as the longest continuously operating mining area, having been in operation for over 25 years. There are multiple expansions taking place at Greenbushes currently.

Ragtop69
Intermediate Driver

You sound like someone who is either 1) super impressed with yourself or 2) being paid by people who have something to profit from the wide use of electric vehicles. Looking down your nose at people isn't necessarily the way to change their minds.
Announcer
Pit Crew

As far as companies producing lithium, SCM, Albemarlle, and FMC are three of the largest. All are publicly traded, the first is a Chilean company but available for US investors, the other two are American companies traded on the NYSE.
NightRanger
Intermediate Driver

You had me until the "George Soros" nonsense. Don't what he has to do with anything and no one even really knows who he is?? Almost all lithium comes from brine (salt) deposits. There is plenty of it. Much copper comes from open pit mines in Chile.
All metals come from some sort of mine, and there is plenty of it and always will be.
CJinSD
Instructor

I will be shocked if there are ever $25K, unsubsidized electric cars that approach the usefulness of a cheap ICE car for people who need to travel 400 miles in a day. They're a bridge to a model where only the donor class has the luxury of doing anything without granted approval.
tdskip
Intermediate Driver

On average, Americans drive 29.2 miles per day, making two trips with an average total duration of 46 minutes. Just saying....

Source: AAA
trymes
Intermediate Driver

Also, @CJinSD battery prices have dropped from ~$1,200/kW to ~$140/kW in a decade. Don't write off the possibility of a $25,000 EV. https://twitter.com/NatBullard/status/1339215034149433344
CJinSD
Instructor

If the ChiCom-directed reversion to century-obsolete EVs continues, don't you think that an explosion of demand for planet-scarring lithium extraction and child slavery-intensive cobalt mining will drive up the prices of these central elements of battery production? The Chinese have already secured access to most of the known deposits.
Announcer
Pit Crew

Dude, you need to lose the tin foil hat.

The ChiComs are doing a lot of thngs, but they are not directing
There is a much or more difference between today's EVs and 100yrs ago as there is between today's ICE vehicles and Model T's. Cars still use gasoline, but today's EVs do not use lead acid batteries.

Lithium is a common element, it is mined like iron or copper or is extracted from brine much like sea salt is recovered in evaporation ponds, only the lithium extraction takes place in barren deserts at high elevations in South America where no one lives except the miners.

See my other post, lithium mining is mostly bu large US public companies. There is so much of it around that no one could corner the supply.

Don't make stuff up.

Cobalt use is way down and declining more. Ever wonder about the mining of platinum and palladium for catalytic converters? Didn't so.

CJinSD
Instructor

I walk or ride my bike more often than I use my car, but the days that I do use my car are ones when I travel up to 1,100 miles. My daily average? Something like 25 miles a day. Does that have anything to do with how I use my car? No. Is it any of your business or the governments' how and when I use my car? No.