cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Review: 2021 Dodge Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody

What great fun it would be to own both this new 797-horsepower Charger and a time machine! Send it back five hundred years and they’d consider it literally demonic, which makes some sense as this big sedan incorporates most engine features of the limited-production Demon drag-strip star. Ninety-five years back and you could set every form of motoring record known to man, from land speed to the upcoming Mille Miglia. The real fun, however, would be to set your time machine for circa 2005, because that’s the era in which you could simply humiliate every single semi-stock car you could possibly encounter at a track day. Corvettes? Naturally. Ferraris? Not even a question. Vipers? Them too.

Six laps at Carolina Motorsports Park was all we needed to know that this $80,000 Dodge can put the serious hurt on victims as diverse as everyday Porsche 911s and all those over-hyped super-SUVs from AMG and BMW M ...

Read the full review on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/review-2021-dodge-charger-hellcat-redeye-widebody/

27 REPLIES 27
Ajakeski
Intermediate Driver

“We’ve all seen this movie before. The fastest daily drivers in history appear just as a Malaise-ish government prepares to clamp down in the name of the environment.”

This is absolutely coming soon along with a boring driving experience.

RossG5
Passenger

Sold an E-39 M5 to one of the lead engineers from SRT a few years ago. May actually have been Erich if he was a Porche club driving instructor. Asked the guy at the time why he wanted a E-39 M5 and he said for his wife. Funny thing was the test drive was around the perimeter of the HQ in Auburn Hills, Mi. We hit about 130 and I told the guy don’t really care what he does with the car but maybe pay for it first. 

While a Charger may be faster, it seems like everytime I get passed by a Hemi on the highway, body parts and trim are starting to fall off. The M5 was rock solid on the Autobahn at 155, was a passenger and why I got one in the US.

Cannot say I would trust a Charger at the same speed. 

Neville134
New Driver

It may be very fast, but within 6 months FCA build quality will start to show through and you will regret spending this much money on a disposable vehicle.

Rick2
Detailer

Some people will buy it but not me. The only four door there will ever be in my garage is possibly a Woodie wagon. I have no use for back doors. They ruin the looks and I seldom have more than one passenger.

gfviperman
Intermediate Driver

Love the car, but F8 Green does not work on a Charger .... IMHO ....

Utopia1
Detailer

This is an interesting way to keep this car somewhat relevant, no doubt.

However, I have to wonder if this will be the first car in history that will be simultaneously still being produced new while next year the earliest versions of cars on this chassis could also qualify for Hagerty's Silver Wheels program.  Talk about a little overdue for an update!  

Joey
New Driver

It still doesn't have a third pedal.... I'm sure it's fun to drive but could be funner

Dave404
Detailer

Doesn't sound very environmentally friendly.  A Tesla Model 3 Performance would blow it away in a drag race.

RckDck
Passenger

Funny thing, some of the comments here talk about the poor build quality....I've had a 2016 SRT 392 Charger for four years now with zero problems anywhere; zilch, nada, none.  It's a great long distance car, as well.  Great seats, and over 25 mpg on a trip, with a paltry 485 horsepower on tap.  I also have a 1968 Hemi GTX, and the contrast is amazing.  Of course the charger is better/faster/more comfortable, but the GTX still smells, sounds, and feels  like 1968.  The old cars are how we old guys go back in time!!! 

Jack_Hagerty

Sssshhhh.... don't say that too loud or the fellows who bought the $100k German sleds won't be able to feel superior as they sit in the service lounge waiting for a new infotainment system head unit.
TonyT
Instructor

To Dave404:

Let's do a real-world test. Your Tesla Dualmotor Model 3 Performance versus the Charger, from Los Angeles Union Station to Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas and back to LA, round trip. In one day.

Interested?

1959corvette
New Driver

Funny how time changes all. Back in the day of drive-ins and greasy spoon restaurants, the only ones who owned four door cars were possibly your parents and definitely your grandparents. Of course that was also when every manufacturer made both versions of every model, and you could pick and choose the entire build sheet.

My first new car (third car overall) was a silver on red 1966 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl. bought from Mr Norm Dodge in Chicago. It was one of the first delivered on the North Side of town. Driving it home was not only an incredible experience, but drew as much attention as a fourth of July parade.

Alas, I sold it two years later when I was on my way to Vietnam. Guess I figured I might not come back.

Flashman
Instructor

I love the colour/design of your helmet.

Jack_Hagerty

Thank you, a young lady named Paige did it based on the logo I use on my cars and a Turnbull&Asser pocket square.
laruebern
Passenger

While I have always enjoyed reading Hagerty articles, I find Mr. Baruth's analogy"collecting another scalp" extremely horrendous and a grim reminder of the federal government of the United States paying white men in the 1800's $200 for every native american scalp they collected through murder. When will white people come to grips with their horrendous treatment of native americans and black people historically and unfortunately even presently in this country?!!! Mr. Baruth should be reprimanded for his racist, insensitive comment.

Jack_Hagerty

As an ethnic German whose ancestors performed the practice 1300 years ago, (see http://burtoniana.org/minor/by-year/1860-1869/burton-1864-anthro-scalping.pdf) I strongly disapprove of your attempt to minimize or delete the lived truth of my family history. Saxons, who to this day are the primary population of my home town in the former East Germany, were performing this practice a thousand years before the era you describe. I will thank you not to assume my ethnicity, my etymology, or my personal history in this forum. Furthermore, I find the idea that I should be reprimanded because you cannot be troubled to learn European history to be a little beyond the Pale. That being said, if you are a Native American I apologize for any discomfort you might have felt upon reading the phrase. Thank you for your readership.
spoom
Technician

While I have zero interest personally, I love toys, and I love when toys are available. My only complaint is what others have mentioned, the number of doors. The current Charger should be what they are calling the Challenger. (And then they wouldn't have had to built the Challenger, because they really only need one of this genre to be in the game.)

spoom
Technician

(Sorry that the site doesn't let me reply directly on my Android phone, but I'm sure it will be understood who I am replying to)

I look forward to your next hand-wringing, weeping, admonishment when someone says something like, "digging their own grave". Also, is there a separate breakdown / complaint department for so-called indigenous peoples taking scalps of other so-called indigenous peoples and/or palefaces?

stevecobb45
Detailer

I bought my 06 Darlington Pace Car Charger R/T in 07. Had a new car title but 4K miles on the clock from track use. If I let it sit 2 weeks the battery would be dead. Took it to two different dealers but no help. I finally figured out for myself where the drain was coming from by removing fuses one at a time. Turns out defective instrument cluster. Later, the shifter failed because if a plastic part used for the security interlock. Replaced that myself with a better unit. I've been a MOPAR man most all my life but the dealers around here will turn you against them for good. I'll hold off for the RAM TRX thanks. Had good luck with RAMS.

oilbrnr
Pit Crew

Great article.  To all the FCA quality haters, I think you're missing the point of the reason this car exists.  Maybe you need to spend $80k on a Lexus and be done with it.  But I hazard to guess how many of those "high quality" Lexus we'll see at Cars & Coffee events 20 years from now.  

carguyjim
Intermediate Driver

How amazing! It's TOO good!!! I hope today's restaurant killing liberals don't do away with this muscle car fun.... They have their soul less electric rides.....

Rick2
Detailer

Lets keep the comments out of the political arena. This is about cars not grandma killers.
RallyeRalph
Intermediate Driver

$81000 for a Dodge Charger? And no family room or basement? That price isn't a car, it's rental property.

RallyeRalph
Intermediate Driver

My favorite Dodge experience was years ago when my dealership was selling a Dodge to a man who wanted to finance $1250. The bank called back and said he was NG but they knew his brother. If his brother would co-sign they would finance them. The man's

reply? "You think I'd waste a co-signer on a Dodge?"  

wyoscotto
Navigator

Like 90% certain I'm buying one of these in the next 5 years when depreciation makes them an unbeatable bargain. Always liked the looks and the 4 door utility with 800 HP that just does not exist at this price point. Also like the airbags when I possibly repeat past over confident throttle applications with sub-par ability :^o 

shoulderboards
Intermediate Driver

Eight photos of the exterior and exactly zero showing the various interior design elements Baruth mentions in his text?

driverdude98
Intermediate Driver

I’ve missed reviews like this. R&T used to do this but seem to have lost their way.

Great write up.