cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Review: 2021 BMW R1250 GS | Hagerty Media

A century ago, a small group of Bavarian engineers decided to power their new motorcycle with a flat twin-two horizontal cylinders in the breeze, combustion chambers near the rider's shins. This engine was also a boxer, each rod running on a dedicated crankpin.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/new-motorcycle-reviews/review-2021-bmw-r1250-gs/
10 REPLIES 10
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

A century ago, a small group of Bavarian engineers decided to power their new motorcycle with a flat twin-two horizontal cylinders in the breeze, combustion chambers near the rider's shins. This engine was also a boxer, each rod running on a dedicated crankpin.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/new-motorcycle-reviews/review-2021-bmw-r1250-gs/
MATTMERICA
Instructor

There is a great BMW poster that shows a close up of the original engine and it states "The engine that powered an entire company for 100 years" - this is almost it, but not quite

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+poster+of+engine+the+engine+that+powered+an+entire+company+for+1...
drhino
Instructor

Damn, those things are ugly. Can’t imagine owning a motorcycle, that I would not want to turn around and look at while walking away (no matter how capable and/or fun).
Rick2
Detailer

Ok. It is highly capable and very forgiving and if I did not care about looks I might be tempted. But for the money I will stick to my Moto Guzzi V7III Special. It has the retro looks I want, does everything I ask of it, is comfortable and she is paid for.
OCULUSNY
Intermediate Driver

And the exhaust note...traded my old R90/6 for a Guzzi 1000 SPIII, after riding with a pal on his LeMans...and never looked back, until after I sold it for a new K1200 GT. But still think the Guzzi was pick of my lot.
JRJones
Intermediate Driver

Years ago I read that many Harleys look like a electro-magnet dragged through the HD parts department.
This BMW looks a bit like a lump electro-magneted out of a compactor.
topside
Detailer

"Talent delivery": freakin' priceless !
brb
Advanced Driver

So would you take this beast or a KLR650 around the White Rim Trail?
Deltamechanic
New Driver

When I get off the bike I rarely look back at it, but I do check it before I continue my ride.
Perhaps those who really ride don’t care how a bike looks, but how it performs the task required of it, like a good quality tool.
It’s also about the quality of ride experience, sitting in the saddle for 500+ miles a day and watching the scenery roll by is what I’m looking at…
2007 R1200GS, paid for and closing in at 100K miles.
White Rim Trail, take the KLR, unless you’re a large fellow with skills.
Or not a large fellow with digging skills 😅

Deltamechanic
New Driver

Pic of the bike in the surf with rider’s tongue sticking out is typical when you try the hero shot🤣
Ah sweet memories of wrestling my bike out of low tide muck in Baja..