cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revealed: Nissan Z Proto concept

Nissan finally pulled the silk off its Z Proto this evening, offering a long-anticipated preview of what the production version (expected to be called the 400Z) will look like. After a steady trickle of teasers and invitations for speculation, we’re happy to see it in full. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/revealed-nissan-z-proto-concept/

Replies (47)

Replies (47)

Re "Nissan does confirm that the Z Proto has a twin-turbo V-6 and a six-speed manual"

Yahoo! Kudos to Nissan for adding to the fun of driving by continuing to offer a stick shift.

Pit Crew

The problem with the picture showing the old and the protoype is that I still like the looks of the 240Z so much better.

New Driver

Why do modern cars have to look so chunky!  First Gin's were much better looking.. 

Pit Crew

Pretty good effort, though the character crease on the fender & door would look better to my eyes if it was level. Grille is reminiscent of a 240Z with the bumper removed, but taller; would likely benefit from a horizontal bar. Glad they didn't put those storm-trooper intakes at the front corners like most vehicles now feature.

Pit Crew

Edit: Sure enough, one quick and dirty photoshop later and I like it.  It's the metal/black roof line that's really accentuating the roof line at the driver's head.

JasonFromCT_1-1600346292078.png

New Driver

Definitely see the original Z car

lines in there! If this makes it to market, sales will soar!

New Driver

Will be looking forward to the Roadster version.  Have had both the 350Z & 370Z Roadsters and they look a lot different, which I like better.

Passenger

It would look better with round headlights. I know it. You know it. Nissan knows it. Just give it round headlights. It would fix the gaping maw look of a front grille. 

Passenger

Well iv been a auto technician  for over 35 yrs and i worked on the 240z and 20z the 280z and ZX models for many many years . My family owned a Auto shop called Z-World located in Redondo Beach California and we seen so many Z car's and owners that love these cars and i to am one that likes the older model but this new concept is a good look. But there missing the option of a rear wing for this vehicle which i think will really make it stand out . If they did such a thing it will put them in the class of being a competitor with the Porsche erra too i believe besides the the Nissan GTR twin turbo 1000hp vehicle. This Z looks like it could be added into that catagory and should be too.  Its got everything the GTR does so why not ? Just add the wing a fixed one or even one that goes under the speed were it comes out by speed like the Porsche and then ill guarantee this car will become one of the top 5 cars out there today!!! Good Going Nissan keep up the good work on the Z cars .!!!

Passenger

As the owner of a '77 280 Z for the past 42 years I give this new Z a big thumbs up. Let's hope the proto isn't changed much at all when finally available. The late original designer is finally smiling about the next gen Z car.

Passenger

Grateful for the manual, should have retained the inline. Exterior looks like every other new car. 

New Driver

That roof line just doesn't look right.  They either need more rake on the windshield or less follow through into the rear.  Gotta fix that "bump" look and get closer to Aston Martin / Jaguar shape.  Also, I'd hope the production model would be all body color roof and pillars.

New Driver

Much better looking than the current Z car! I agree that the original still looks a bit better. The roof "peaks" right in front of the drivers head then quickly falls off.  A more "rounded" roof like the old one would look better IMHO, not that drastic cut back.

Intermediate Driver

Is this a hatchback?...sure looks like it...I like it!...but would have had the exhaust on one side instead of those duals, need some venting louvers in the hood or fender uppers, and how about a two stage turbo inline 4 with a 10 speed automatic...its a start...I'm sure there will be options and changes. Like my 71 240Z for now...we'll see how the car develops.

New Driver

This is a pretty good effort from Nissan. Z32 is not, but kudos for keeping the stick. I loved my 96 Twin Turbo but hated the Z33 when it first came out.  That car grew on me though and in 08 I got a base model in San Marino Blue. Drove the Z33 for 4 years trouble free until I traded for a SUV when my first child was born. I drive a 15 Mustang GT now. It will be kind of hard to justify the new Z coming from the Mustang so I dont think I will be a customer...

New Driver

I rather like the yellow paint choice on the Proto. Reminds me of how I remember the original 240Zs. 

Friend of mine had one in that color. 

Not a big fan of the grill, big square dark cave entrance, but I can see some nods to the original (and still my favorite) 240Z. 

New Driver

Another "no" vote for the rear tail light configuration. To me, it looks like an odd Mustang mashup: the light orientation of a fox body with the logo-centric look of the current model.

Navigator

Looks to me like a 240Z and a Porsche got together in an Alley and produced this one.

Not a fan, I think the original 240Z is aesthetically superior....

New Driver

From the center line of the front wheel forward, the hood and nose is too high - bubble nose continues from 350 and 370 Zs.  Otherwise from the centerline of the front wheel back to the rear it looks very appealing.  It will be interesting what the price compares to the 2020 Corvette.

Passenger

Nose and front? 10/10

Rear? 3/10, what a miss...I’m so over characterless LED lights...yawn.

...exciting car never the less, I’m hoping it performs as well as other Nissan Products of late...

Awkward and disappointing. Looks like a bloated and disfigured version of the original. 

Pit Crew

Good on Nissan for doing what Toyota should have done but did not with the Supra: offer a manual transmission. The car looks pretty good, and ready for production except for the grille.

I am aware that the grille is supposed to be a reference to Zs of the past. But here it just looks like it was slapped on in the last minute after the designers realized they were working on a traditional car, not an EV.

Intermediate Driver

What a disappointment.  Another missed opportunity to produce a good looking car.  There's nothing original here.  It's just the old design language regurgitated, and it's just as ugly.  Nissan's stylists are their own worst enemy.  Fire the whole lot and start over.

Pit Crew

A brand-new car featuring a "stick" and a twin-turbo gas engine is SO welcome by real "car guys" who want to control our motions and feel integrated in the "mech-inations"

Pit Crew

I owned a 240Z.  It was the closest I'll ever get to feeling like a Jet Pilot.  Just think how Toyota would have done if they made the Prius a sporty-looking ride!

Passenger

All the grille needs is some sharp white teeth and it would look like a great white shark, otherwise not bad, possibly a little too retro.

Passenger

Nice enough but - the original 240 - 260 - 280 Z's look so much better,

and the 1990-1996 300ZX are miles ahead in the look department.

Too close to the 350 - 370, which are good cars, but leave a lot to

be desired in the look and feel.

The new one is too fat and the grill is too large.

Sort of leaves me wanting to see & drive the real deal.

Until then I say, look wise it's a C.

Passenger

camaro, stang, charger, etc 'did it' - Y not these folks? Same as those 4 is this, all 'painted with the same brush' which is unfortunate. As different as these 4 cars originally were - why "21st century them" the same way?  Because "that's the corporate way".  Reminds me of the music industry.  The corporations often dictate it.  All must 'have the same sound' to be sold.  Thus today we can id each era by the music.  Speak to the artists and they will tell U "to cut a record I had to xxx. The AnR man said more xxx (horns, strings), different tempo, higher register (etc)."  Still, nice to see it 'back'.

Intermediate Driver

Having owned a '73 240Z, I am very interested in the next generation of the Z. I wish the front grill did not have such a tall opening because it looks like the Z has a big mouth opening. Otherwise, I like what I see at this time in the design.

New Driver

great shape...perhaps the mouth(grille) a little too deep for a subtle result.

ken lawson new zealand

Passenger