cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Revealed: 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning | Hagerty Media

Ford just yanked the silk off its new, all-electric 2022 F-150 Lightning pickup, the next salvo in the company's wave of all-electric vehicles, following the E-Transit van line and controversial Mustang Mach-E. Although that pudgy pony and the rolling cargo-toaster were nice first steps, let's make one thing clear: This all-electric pickup is arguably the company's single most important EV release to date.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/revealed-2022-ford-f-150-lightning/
191 REPLIES 191
TheModelCitizen
Pit Crew

190 miles would barely cover a round trip from my home in central NJ to Manhattan or the doctor office my wife and I go in Westchester. My wife suffers range anxiety when the gas gauge reads one quarter tank. I can just see where this would go with an electric. It is not range anxiety I suffer from so much as recharge time anxiety. I do not have 30 to 40 minutes to sit around to recharge because I was stuck in traffic.
trymes
Intermediate Driver

@TheModelCitizen: The actual issue for using an ID.4 is that the Electrify America network, and the others than support it, is not reliable, widespread, or fast enough, yet. Tesla is still the only one to get it right for public charging, and you can quite easily road trip just about anywhere you'd like in one of their cars for that reason.

I'm sure that EA will catch up at some point, but until they do, take your other car on a road trip, or buy a Tesla.

TheModelCitizen
Pit Crew

I chose the VW as an example of range vs temperature. I wonder what the range falls to when it is below freezing. (Indeed, what are the parameters the EPA uses to compute range?) That there are different and incompatible charging systems is not, in my view, a positive. I am no fan of Tesla - I simply do not like the use of a giant screen to control everything. But to the point of easily doing a road trip in a Tesla, can I recharge to get a range of miles in 5 minutes like I can at any gas station for my Tahoe or Hyundai? Until I can the idea of buying a vehicle with such a limitation is not for me.
ALTurkeyBum
Pit Crew

So I guess I'll go buy one more brand new good old fashioned IC V8 4X4 (before it's too late) and drive it for the next eight years or so, and maybe by then battery range and charging infrastructure will have caught up to the real world a lot of us still live in.
trymes
Intermediate Driver

@ALTurkeyBum: It's going to be a good long while until you can't buy a V8 truck, I'd wager. Also, by the time 8 years have passed, not only will technology have improved, but you'll perhaps realize that the fact that you charge at home when you're sleeping means that charging time is usually irrelevant. It's one of those things that doesn't really make sense until you've done it. Almost never having to go to the gas station (or a public charger) is really nice.

ALTurkeyBum
Pit Crew

I totally agree. When the range and charging infrastructure issues improve (I'm thinking around 500 miles of range, which equates to a typical eight hour day of driving) I'm all in on EV's, willingly and gladly. I'm just saying right now an EV simply doesn't meet the requirements of my lifestyle. In a lot of the places I frequently travel to / through, you can drive 150 miles without passing a gas station, let alone a charging station. Give me the ability to drive all day without stopping for an hour or two, which will surely be a reality by the time I wear out my soon-to-be-purchased new IC truck and I'm in.
jaglover
New Driver

The elephant in the room about range is, "Do the ranges include hating in winter and cooling in summer?" These can reduce range as much as 30 to 18%.
trymes
Intermediate Driver

Nope, they don't, but as someone driving an EV in northern New England, I can say it's generally just fine, anyway, and getting better. The simple truth is that two things conspire to make it nowhere near as much of an issue as people usually think:

1.) You start each day with a full "tank", because your car was charging while you slept.

2.) Most people rarely drive 250 miles in a day. That's four hours of driving, at a minimum!

stevecobb45
Detailer

Always worried about charging when on a trip, so with a pickup, can I carry along a gas generator in the bed & charge wherever & whenever I want & would there be a way to charge on the go? Makes you think don't it.
ALTurkeyBum
Pit Crew

There's a name for that already: hybrid
1933ford
Intermediate Driver

The question in my mind and should be in others is - since pick up trucks and SUV sales far far far outnumber any other vehicle in the USA and when folks start buying these EVs who is going to pay if you get my meaning? I certainly would object wouldn't you, say for example pay more at the pump.) EG here in Ontario Canada as of May 1, 2019, all Canadians qualify for an incentive of up to $5,000 (tax payer dollars!!) off the purchase of a new fully electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, also get to drive in the HOV lane free, You may say dumb question BUT are we ALL going to pay for those that choose to buy an EV? The vast majority of these EV articles ignore this basic realism. Why? I guess most reporters/authors (including this one) are so lazy, ignorant, possibly dimwitted to address this fundamental issue (the elephant in the room so to speak.) I know some of you would say that this is purely a technical article of the subject vehicle but in my opinion should address this vital intrinsic issue along with the cost of installing a 120 or 240 charger in your house if you are lucky enough to have one. I am sure that the cost is quite substantial. I am disappointed Hagerty which purports to be a media company would not force these contributors to do the research and also report on these two items before agreeing to print this stuff.
dd1
Intermediate Driver

Interesting but still lots of questions. I apologize to Hagerty and all the readers right now because what I'm about to say is going to be very negative but I have to say it because it's really bothering me: these glossy, air brushed presentations make these EVs look like world beaters but we really won't know if the EV technology is as good as the hype until these vehicles are produced and driven "en masse" by the tens-of-thousands or even millions. How will the batteries respond to a cold midwest January morning with wind gusts at -20 degrees or Arizona daily temperatures at 100+ degrees in the desert? How long will the batteries last? 3 years...5 years...10 years...forever? And when the batteries need replacing how much will it cost? $5000...$7000...more? Imagine getting a car loan to purchase one of these vehicles and the battery pack bites the dust while you're still paying off the auto loan and the guarantee on the batteries have expired! So now you have to pay potentially thousands of dollars to replace the batteries ON TOP of the loan you're still trying to pay off! Whoa dude!:) We talk about our antiquated power grid all the time. Well, what will happen to our power grid when we're all plugging in and charging our vehicles at the same time? Now that's what I call power grid overload! Anyway, lots of questions that only time and our wallets will answer. Upgrading the infrastructure and electrifying the automotive industry is going to be extremely expensive. But I guarantee that you, me and every other consumer will be footing the entire bill through higher taxes and higher priced consumer goods and services. I laugh when I hear about tax credits and other incentives designed to make it cheaper to buy these vehicles. The cynic in me says that these "incentives" are nothing but marketing gimmicks. The reality is that even with tax credits and rebates these vehicles will still be very expensive because these cars are expensive to begin with. Car companies (especially GM, Ford and Chrysler) can sometimes do some be pretty stupid things (ie: the Chevy Vega:) but they're smart enough to know that they have to make short term profits for their investors so they're not going to give these vehicles away, not by a long shot.
I'm not impressed with all the high tech wizardry. As Scotty Kilmer says, everything breaks eventually. And when all of these gizmos break how much will it cost to fix this stuff? And WHO'S going to fix it? If this technology is so complex that it requires dealer-level diagnostic equipment then it could potentially drive the few remaining independent repair shops out of business. That means we'd be forced to go to the dealer for repairs and we will get soaked! Dealers are the very worst places to go for repairs! Imagine if the dealers were the only game in town to get your car fixed! That's a nightmare come true because they could charge any amount of money they want and you have to pay for it because there's no competition, and you need your car back on the road! Now if that doesn't make you break out in a cold sweat then I don't know what does!:)
Regardless of what the politicians, automakers or environmentalists tell us, at the end of the day saving good ole' mother earth is going to cost us a lot of money and we're the ones who will pay for the entire bill--soup to nuts. I guarantee it.
Again I apologize for my negative attitude but I'm concerned about this stuff and I think I'm raising some really valid points. I guess I'm too old fashioned but I'll take my good old gas-powered ICE any day of the week over one of these EV things regardless of how sleek and fast they may be. Some may call me a dinosaur or an antique but I prefer "vintage". Yes, I'm definitely vintage and there's nothing wrong with that regardless of what the modern world says!:)
Thanks for putting up with my ranting and raving! I feel better now that I've vented!:)
DanC
Pit Crew

The company/guy who creates the instantly interchangeable battery (with a cherry picker) that either/or adds 300 miles to the existing battery (like a second fuel tank) or swaps out and charges at home while you drive the one in the truck...will write his own ticket. Many trucks have a tool box in the bed, others have a fuel tank to add range or fill farm tractors or construction equipment. No Different...a fuel Box with extra batteries will be stylish and functional and be on the market a nano-second after these trucks become a reality. Same thing with bed covers that double as solar panels. A pickup used for a 10 mile commute, that has a solar panel bed cover will charge up in the parking lot at work...and no one will laugh about you needing 8 hours to get 30 miles of charge...the truck is sitting anyway. Watch for "in road charging" at drive through lanes at a Dunkin...it exists now as a charging pad for your phone. You will get 15 miles of charge while you creep through a drive-through line.
442xcar
Pit Crew

Go woke, go broke. We are witnessing the total destruction of the domestic US auto industry. China is throwing a party,,,,, with Joe in the seat of honor.
BB66Vett
Pit Crew

Recycling lithium ion batteries is far different than recycling lead acid batteries. They can go through a process called “thermal runaway,” which is basically a chemical reaction in the battery that can cause it to heat up, potentially to the point of burning or exploding. (It’s the reason why TSA prohibits spare lithium-ion batteries in checked baggage when you board a plane.) Unlike lead acid batteries, the cost to recycle LI batteries far out weigh any salvage value.
442xcar
Pit Crew

Communist China is charging all it's electric cars with Coal Power Plants. How green is that ,,,, Comrades?
964c4
Intermediate Driver

Cobalt mining to make these battery powered vehicles is very destructive to the environment not to mention the working conditions in the mines which are barbaric. Lithium ion strip mines are just as devastating to the planet. The push for electric vehicle production has a very high human cost on the third world countries that the raw materials are sourced from.
AMG
New Driver

The amount of software required to operate this thing should frighten any potential buyers. The write up description lists so many things/activities that currently have nothing to do with driving a normal F150. Any new technology has teething pains and for a Ford to throw so much technology into its first electric pickup is definitely a huge risk (born by the consumer).
And not enough people (or media) ask any real, hard questions. Like how much carbon is emitted when building these electric monsters, what about the impact of mining all the “rare earth minerals”. What are we going to do with the giant box of chemicals (battery) when it wears out? (And don’t come back with “everything will be recycled forever and ever” and old EVs will never pollute our soil and water” because anyone who understands science knows that impossible). The average EV battery is anywhere from 1,200 to 2,000 POUNDS of chemicals. For every EV...
Cheetah8
Pit Crew

Living in Orange County in Southern California my question is what are you going to do on the days we have rolling blackouts or they shut of your power due to wild fire danger? Solar is only charging thew grid when the sun is out but most people want to recharge their vehicle at night when solar is not generating electricity. What am, I going to do when I want to tow my 25 foot box trailer over the Grapevine to Laguna Seca or Sonoma or Portland or Seattle? Stop every 175 miles for an hour +, to recharge the battery? EVs are fine as city vehicles. Electricity is much cheaper from 10 pm to 8 am but expensive from 5 pm to 9 pm when I get home from work and want to start charging my vehicle for tomorrow.
smtguy
Intermediate Driver

Not interested in EVs. Don't have time or inclination to change my life around to suit the charging schedule. Besides, if the politicians say that this EV thing is what we must do, it must be a bad idea since most of them seem to know little to nothing about cars.
Servicefiter562
Pit Crew

I only have one simple question when it comes to the electrical grid and EV’s. What are you going to do when you have to turn off your A/C unit to charge your cars. Wife’s gonna love you for that decision.😎
65sportfury
New Driver

From the previous PR video Ford put out in 2019, and shown on MSNBC last night, this truck "will" tow one million pounds. Really? Ain't no way! It was shown supposedly doing that using only a snatch strap attaching it to the line if boxcars. Then repeating it with 42 trucks in the boxcars. If nothing else the video would be impossible with that small narrow strap. FORD must think their customers are very naive and gullible. PR at its best!
MikeSS
Intermediate Driver

The bigger issue is how long it will take for the infrastructure and electric power generation to meet the demands for all the EV vehicles that are proposed to be built in the next 10-20 years. Plus the disposal of these expended batteries that are probably full of hazardous materials. California and Arizona are already warning us of roll blackouts for this year during the summertime.
CitationMan
Instructor

Tax breaks for the people who buy these things are repugnant.
hyperv6
Gearhead

I find the Lighting to be very underwhelming. It basically is a F150 just converted to EV vs a truck designed as EV to take advantage of more technology.

I expect the GM truck to use the much stiffer rolling chassis like used in the Hummer but with motors and battery better matched for the pick up and price range.

I feel Ford was under pressure to get their truck out first as when some of the others arrive it will be quickly overshadowed. This is not a race to be first but to be the best.

I have really looked into the future here and the many aspect in play. I am not a tree hugger and I have gas in my vein. This tends to get politics, it gets emotional and it often gets into a cycle of denial and miss information.

Here is what I have found.

If we vote so and so in this will go away. No it won’t.

The EV models will be too expensive. No in the near future batter cost will be very low. In fact most parts will be improved and cheaper as time goes on.

The MFGs are Woke. No they just have now found with the rate of development they can build cheaper and more profitable models.

We don’t have enough electric. We have enough but we do need grid work. In the coming years the grid will be improved EV cars or not.

Charging will be faster and very easy to fine.

Ranges will be match to the Gas ranges we enjoy.

This transition is going to take place over 20 years.

Hey I get it and I was once in denial but now that I have seen the future I see the economics and the rate of development taking over. The cost to keep ICE legal is only going to drive up its cost more and more. I expect ICE to remain in some limited areas but this change is coming and it is not going to go away.

My job is in the performance aftermarket and even now we are looking to an electric future. Out suppliers and vendors are looking to an electric future. Even this week Lamborghini has announced the end of ICE by 2024.

At this point our ICE classics are not going away though we may need to fight for them in some areas. But they will be like horses that went from a daily need to a weekend enjoyment.

But I recommend that we all find our place in the EV area and make our present felt as if we demand performance and sports cars they will build them. If not you will have to make do with a blank nose ugly sedan called a 3.

MSuperfan
Pit Crew

I submit that anyone who is excited about the electric F-150 is NOT a car person, but is completely driven by politics. Thus, they do not even conduct a proper critical evaluation of the merits of the vehicle. Disagree? I'll prove it with this suggestion. Let's just say that Ford, by virtue of a different type of technological breakthrough, could offer an F-150 that could get 50 MPGs, BUT, you would need to get gas every 250 miles; or every 100 miles if you were towing something. Now that stop for gas would only cost you 4 to 6 minutes because the tank would be so small, but I just bet that you would consider that unacceptable.
Here is another thing to consider, if the rest of the planet decides to go to electric vehicles, but America is smart enough not to, guess how cheap gasoline and oil will become; and just think how long it will be before we "run out" (which I was told was going to happen by 1980, when I was in grade school.) Sorry leftist, science (indoctrinater) teacher, you were just slightly WRONG.
Wrongarm
New Driver

Articles I’ve seen say ~300 miles per full charge (don’t see this mentioned). These may be okay for local / short-hop use, 0-60 stoplight-to-stoplight drag race, but not practical for lengthy travel without significant travel delays for re-charge. This does not take into account what the “home re-charge” expenses would be which I would suspect to be significant.
DAY
Intermediate Driver

No one has looked at the actual push for EV cars and trucks. It is all about control and making it harder for people to live AWAY FROM THE URBAN CORE AREA, OUT OF THE REACH OF THE DEEP STATE! If you only have an electric vehicle, you won't wander very far from that GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED GRID! Wind and solar is Non existent at Night, when you charge those Batteries! That's when the COAL and natural Gas is used to charge that EV.
TonyT
Instructor

Wait! Shouldn't Ford rename this vehicle the F120 or F240? Y'know, for the volts? How about calling it a "60C" to acknowledge the hertz thing. They could honor Henry's old friend Thomas Edison and call it "Tesla's Boss" because Nikola used to work for him. Too weird? And now all of the light-duty vehicles will be E-series, not just the van. Hmm, Econoline becomes Electroline... and the Ranger becomes the Range Limited. Will this bring back the F(E) powerplant? Is the big boy going to be called the Super D(ependant on voltage)uty? So many questions!
JAG
Intermediate Driver

Give technology a chance ? VCR beat out Beta (remember tapes) gas beat electric 100 years ago for a long list of reasons. Say all you want, can't beat the energy density of fossil fuels. I will take the steady efficiency gains in ICE's over the leap of faith to electrics. F1 cars now make about 10hp/C.I!!! Emissions are down huge % and F.E. is way up. Next the lie about jobs. How did the UAW every buy off on this? The estimate is 30% of auto jobs will disappear with the switch (no pun intended) to electric car manufacturing. Non the less electric is here to stay and the OEM's are ramping up the marketing machines. They still don't tell the story of range while towing. Anyone that tows knows you loose between 30-50% depending of the type of trailer, speed and engine type. Pull even a small box trailer and see how far you can go at 65mph. Next issue will be the skyrocketing cost of electricity when the demand doubles every six months. Get use to it we will all be driving them soon. Whirrrrrr zoom whirrrr, O what a feeling.
Dave404
Detailer

No thanks. If I want an F150, I'll get the diesel.
Sen
Pit Crew

One lingering question.....who the hell is going to buy it????
Sen
Pit Crew

Jaguar just announced they will be totally electric by 2024 and they will be out of business by 2028.....
Sen
Pit Crew

No one talks about the rare earth meteals that it takes to make the batteries that by the way the majority of which comes from China and no one has figured out yet what to do with the end of life batteries,but that’s the inconvenient truths isn’t it?!?!?
FrankP
New Driver

Wow, a whole 230 mile range and then 14 hours to fill er up and that's under ideal conditions. I guess if a selfie snapping urban dweller wants to parade around in a truck while doing the daily commute it might be ok. Hard to imagine why people are lining up to buy this thing.
Badgas
Pit Crew

Something you EV fans forgot to figure in. The Gov't taxes every gallon of gas for "infrastucture".repair. All these EV's being charged at home will put a serious dent in Uncle Sam's wallet. You think he'll put up with that nonsense? Say hello to a tax on every mile driven, and goodbye to your fuel savings. BTW i'm gonna buy a flatbed and charge you guys double.
64jeepsrt
Intermediate Driver

To me owning one of these rigs would be pretty stressful, I would would constantly worry about running out of power, if you are out on the road and run out of power I wonder how AAA would handle that... would they send a truck with a charging station, would they just tow it... Who knows, just more stress. "A war room worth of information on battery health & power usage" as the article says... Just more info to amplify the stress, while its using up more power... Yep more stress... Do these EV vechiles come with built in defibulators? They should, because when I am having a heart attack from all the EV stress it would come in handy... because more than likely the paramedics EV would probably run out of power on the way to save me... Yep you guessed it mooore stress... ZAP! P.S. the defibulator is solar charged... Dam, I live in Ohio...LoL
okfoz
Intermediate Driver

The up side to EVs is they typically have low maintenance. Compared to their ICE counterpart they should technically be inexpensive to maintain. Typical bearing wear and the like, would most likely be the most common problem Motor failure, or electronics failure is always worrisome, but with all of the electronics in new cars it is not that much of a difference than what we have now.
The Down side still to an EV is Range Range Range, and cost to replace the batteries. The time to recharge is 10 times longer at best compared to a gasoline ICE engine.
For anything other than working locally, I just do not see an EV as being a viable alternative yet.
jddigitalchaos
New Driver

Be very careful about the fast charging time being quoted by Ford. They are specifying "150kW" DC fast chargers for a reason. Chargers capable of that kind of power are not common. I live in Oregon (a state with a pretty robust charging infrastructure) and there is only 1 fast charger in the WHOLE state capable of 100kW, none capable of 150kW. There is a PlugShare website you can look at that tells you what sort of power delivery a charger is capable of.
ray2
New Driver

how about driving smaller vehicles .you definitely need that 4 door full size truck to drive to the office
Zephyr
Advanced Driver

The financial issues that would deter me the most from buying any electric vehicle is that 1) before I could use it I would have to have a licenced electrician install the charger in my garage, and like most people my circuit breaker panel is completely full right now, so expensive rewiring would be required, 2) doing so would probably require having the electrician also install larger wires from the street to the house to handle the additional load, and 3) to actually get the car into the garage to charge it would require renting a storage space to store all of the items that are currently taking up space in the garage and making it impossible to fit a car in.
RdrChRy
New Driver

Biden did not drive one. There has been an actor behind a silicone mask pretending to be him for some time. The D.C. White House is empty, light out at exactly 11:00pm nightly since Jan. 20. If you did not already know this then you deserve an EV.