cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Revealed: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1

This most auspicious of days in Ford’s history—the anniversary of the company’s founding in 1903—is not passing this year without a bit of fanfare. Ford is officially announcing that, after 17 years, the Mach 1 Mustang is back. Wedging its way into the pony-car lineup between the GT and the Shelby GT350, this latest high-performance pony is meant to be the ultimate 5.0-liter Mustang. With a bevy of chassis and aero upgrades, some of which hail from the Shelby parts bin, Ford promises this Mach 1 will do right by the legendary model that first took to the street and track in 1969.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/revealed-2021-ford-mustang-mach-1/

32 REPLIES 32
717BQL
Passenger

No Shackers!!??  I own 2 Mach1 and  both cars have it.  the 1970 been with me for 48 years. A great car with with its 351C, 4v.  With its Calypso coral paint it get noticed.  Not sure it i will added this new one to the group.  It looks like Ford did not listen to us again.

Bullitt19
Passenger

yep it would have been extra special with 500 HP

Eric
Hagerty Employee

yeah i was a little surprised Ford kept the Bullitt motor essentially untouched. Still, 480 hp is plenty, and the GT350 goodies give you a taste of the Shelby life without the price, and there will be no shortage of Coyote engine parts down the road.

55Customline
Pit Crew

I wish it had a black hood rather than just the black stripe up the middle of the hood. 

drhino
Instructor

No “shaker” is a disappointment; but there seems to be a good reason for it.  Rejoice in the manual transmission!!!!

928er
Passenger

They raided the Shelby parts bin... for what?  If they wanted to make a nod to the Mach 1 they should have incorporated a hood scoop, rear lovers, rear wheel arch air ducts, running lights and a flat black hood with pins IMHO.  All modern mustangs look vanilla to me... the mechanics are great but a little eye candy would be nice..... 

HunterJones
Passenger

Yawn

SuperCommando
Pit Crew

Most Mach 1's of the era did not come with shakers...in fact the majority came with the 351 2v engine.  I believe in '69 only the R code had it, and then in '70 you could also order it with the M code.  So a shaker-less hood is more true to the heritage than a shaker-equipped, notwithstanding the fun factor of having a shaker.

SuperCommando
Pit Crew

also, besides the shaker, and despite what you see at car shows, most '69-'70 Mach's did not come with spoilers or slats, and Magnums were never offered on the Mach for those years.  I have a '70 M code...like the vast majority it originally did not have shaker, slats, spoilers, or magnums, but like the vast majority now, it has all of that (except the shaker).  I have had kids ask me 'why does that have the wrong scoop?', not realizing what they are asking...lol

merlebalke
Detailer

Looks like a wonderful car. Of course Ford considered a shaker hood, but decided against it as it would compromise cooling. This is clearly stated in the article.

Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

Excellent.

Ducknuts
Pit Crew

The white with the dark hood stripe look sharper than the blue one. I hope they do a black and gold one like my 1970 MACH I.

Ducknuts
Pit Crew

I think the white body with dark hood stripe looks sharper than the blue one. I hope they make and black and gold one like my 1970 MACH I. I'm a Pittsburgh guy.

Mike1
Pit Crew

Looks like the same old Mustang to me.

Maestro1
Instructor

I get a sense that Ford is trying to compete with Corvette by building Mustangs with performance and handling abilities while not going to the expense of creating a whole new product with its attendant issues.

Livermore-Dad
Passenger

I like the white and the livery. Leave it 🙂 I'm not a ford guy, er was not a Ford guy. But I love the new Mustang, and would do F150 over Chevy. But classics, I'm a Chevy guy.. Says something that I wouldn't approach a Gen V + Camaro but I love the looks and drive of the newer mustangs. Nice Job Ford.. 

Artofcars
Passenger

I wish all the Car Manufactures just built these Muscle Cars in exact designs as they once where (inside and outside) with today's Technology and Safety Features added. The 60's and 70's Muscle cars were art forms. They had character that you just can't duplicate and that is very apparent in this 2021 vehicle. Any kind of art comes from the hart and soul of the creator of that art. At GM they were the designers of the time.  May I bring your attention to the photos that are presented in this article.  If Ford didn't put the emblem of Mustang on the steering wheel, could you tell that this a Mustang interior or any other car that is out there today? An honest answer to that is "NO"!!! 

last point, why Search years to find a solid Car from the 60's/70's as I had to do while you could just buy one at will from your local dealer.  I sincerely hope the disicion makers of all manufactures of these cars just take a second and think about this...

Thank You!  

83ragtop50
Intermediate Driver

Ford can call their cars whatever they like but it is UGLY.

procomms
New Driver

Looks like the same old same old. Just another Mustang with a name to tug at a few heartstrings. Do something different for a change. The body style is getting old and tweaking it every year makes it look more cartoonish. All this from the company that abandoned "family cars" in favour of trucks and suvs, and is rolling out the new Bronco on OJ's birthday.

Rider79
Instructor

World's most famous Bronco owner, after all!  Wonder what he is driving nowadays, as he looks for the "real killer".

bemrfst
Intermediate Driver

Where the hell is the hood scoop!!!  Ford has dropped the BALL!!!!

Weltman
New Driver

Appearance wise, it shows no resemblance to the original Mach 1.
Is seems they focused on performance and forgot what the 1969 Mach 1 looked like, inside and out.
It seems this is just a performance place holder for the exiting Bullitt.
No hood scoop, no original style spoiler, no louvers -key ques.
I was more eagerly waiting for something more visually Mach 1 beyond a badge.

dough
Intermediate Driver

Would've been nice if the article had addressed pricing, even if it's just to give us a ballpark number.  Not that I'm going to buy one.  Pretty much still looks like every other GT and up Mustang produced since 2013 or so.

Tom9716
Intermediate Driver

A nice looking, performance Mustang. And that’s high praise from a guy that still has his one-owner, 1971 Camaro Super Sport. If I were to buy a new pony car today, it would be a Mustang. Sweet ride.

TG
Instructor

I figured the throwback cars would eventually start getting rounded over, smoothed out, and blanded away. I'm guessing that the 2022 model will be indistinguishable from a Toyota camry

Jeffreythorton
New Driver

Killer looking car... with different color options for paint and graphics, I bet there are going to be some gorgeous color combos... and the Handling Package will be a must-have.

Figuero
Intermediate Driver

Not doubt, the 2021 will boost the price of a 1969. Not that there is any problem with the 2021, it's just not as sweet as the original. 

jd426
New Driver

Very nice, but the original is far better looking.

exford
New Driver

The new Mach 1 misses the target by a mile. There needs to be a discernable difference both visually and price wise between this and the GT. Sadly, there isn't. No shaker? Inhibits cooling? Seriously? You couldn't figure out how to make it work? How about asking the guys that did the Challenger how to do it? Nice attempt to cover up the fact that you blew it. The car needs 527 hp, 450 lb/ft of torque and a shaker functioning hood scoop. Remember the 2013/2014 GT500? That was supervised by Jamal Hameedi who has since gone on to direct racing programs at Jaguar/Land Rover. Ford needs him or people like him back at the company. 

FEFranco
Passenger

HEY FORD where’s the shaker??? And don’t tell me about your cooling issue excuse, figure it out. Looks like any Mustang with stripes 

bkmcgraw62
Pit Crew

I love the modern Mustang and all that it offers.  While some may be critical od the Mach 1 and say it doesn't have this or that like the original, I would lime to point out the Mach 1's at auction tend to be the M coded versions and most Mach 1's didn't come with the shaker, louvers and spoiler.   I thinking many things in our past, we are a bit nostalgic to a point of fault, not on purpose but we tend to look more favorably at the past than it really was.  I for one would love to own a Mach 1 but if you compare a muscle car from the 60s or early 70s to the version made today, you can't compare the HP, torque, suspension, handling, comfort, convenience and reliability.  Go Ford, you continue to produce THE muscle car that looks the best and outsells all others.  

I have an affinity for the old cars, don't get me wrong, but don't try to compare a 69 to a 21, it's not even close.  They are all beautiful in their own way.  My 1923 Model TT one ton is just a wee bit different than my F350 Lariat Dually.  Both are one ton trucks and have that great Ford performance,  torque,  payload and reliability but that's where the comparison stops.

bemrfst
Intermediate Driver

Still though, All mach 1s had a hood scoop functional or not