cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revealed: 2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport

Give Ford dual kudos: for reprising one of its most iconic nameplates and for equipping its 2021 “built wild” Broncos with the style and substance necessary to succeed in the fierce SUV arena. Riding on two different platforms and available in two- and four-door body styles, the new Bronco brand will be the eighth member of Ford’s rambling SUV/crossover household when it reaches showrooms at the end of this year. A standard 4×4 driveline underlines these new models’ off-road chops. Full price outlines haven’t been announced, but the base two-door Bronco will start at $29,995 including destination fees; a $100 deposit will hold your place in line a Bronco starting today.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/revealed-2021-ford-bronco-and-bronco-sport/

Replies (36)

Replies (36)

These are really handsome vehicles. Excited to evaluate their real-world mettle and see how they stack against the competition.

Hagerty Employee

Just like when the Explorer replaced the Bronco II, this Bronco should have replaced the Explorer. The car that took on the Explorer name should have been a replacement for the Ford Edge... Still glad to see the Bronco back though, only been waiting 24 years!

Passenger

The Bronco Sport should satiate the needs of former Land Rover Freelander drivers who've almost recovered financially from trying to keep them going.  The Bronco answers the question of what the International Scout would look like today had it remained in production without a better new idea for the past 40 years, as has occurred with the Porsche '911.' 

The Jeep Wrangler is apparently going to get a V8 to respond to the Bronco. If Fiat is smart about it, they'll offer the basic 5.7 as an option in every model instead of putting the SRT6.4 in some special edition. If they do offer the 5.7 for under $40K, the Bronco will be over before it starts.

Intermediate Driver

I am very curious how the Bronco Sport will be priced in the real world. I thought Ford was coming for that Subaru Crosstrek money, but Crosstrek pricing stops where the Bronco Sport starts. Will Ford make up the gap with generous incentives after the launch rush?

Hopefully the Bronco's independent front suspension translates to on-road manners that can give the 4Runner some competition, because Toyota needs it. All of the 4Runner's natural competitors from 20 years ago have disappeared, or become soft-roaders except for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. And the GC relies on air suspension to do what comes naturally to the 4Runner.

Intermediate Driver

I have had them all--jeeps,broncos---have a 1973 bronco currently with a 302 V-8. No matter what the specs say--- I would'nt trade the 302 for any of the turbo V-6s---why do they think Jeep has a huge aftermarket demand for V-8 swap kits? Like the add goes-'' I could have had a V8''. IMO often durability is related to simplicity.

Passenger

Same platform as Escape but different wrapper is a win... everything else is same body as Escape on each brand's individual platform. This segment was greatly in need of some things that look different.

Kind of holds true in the large SUV segments too, you either look the same or are Jeep (and in some cases the Jeeps look the same but have that grill treatment).

I hope Ford succeeds with this and we get more variety moving forward. How about a big Blazer that looks and acts like a Blazer from GM? Bring back the Suzuki SUV family to North America while we are at it.

Detailer

I just received a video from Motor Trend and they say only two engines for both, the 2.0L and a dual turbo 6. And a 6+1 standard which is a 6 speed with a "low-low" for off road.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/mt-exclusive-a-super-secret-early-look-at-the-2021-ford-br...

New Driver

A very good looking vehicle. I just hope it's durable. Friends with Jeeps have had many issues with durability and they would not buy another Jeep. This may be the answer.

Pit Crew

What no diesel? What were they thinking?

Intermediate Driver

Seems like a nice package until you get to 3 cylinder or 2.0. That's supposed to be off-road fun? Where's the V8? I wish they would have left the Bronco name alone and called it something like the Escape II.

New Driver

The big story is how the Bronco outperforms the Wrangler. Bronco 94:1 Crawl Ratio, Rubicon 73:1. Bronco 35s from the factory. Wrangler, you need a lift, new wheels plus you end up wasting the factory rubber. Take off the Bronco doors and they store in the back. Wrangler doors???? 

Ford if they can deliver will steal half the Wrangler sales.

Intermediate Driver

Nice, but I'll stay with my CJ7 Jeep with the rumbling V8

Passenger

The only thing missing is to have the small v-8 as an option.

Passenger

Too bad the smaller WB is monocoque and not the transfer case, 11 inch ground clearance $ w/o the other goods on the bigger.  The bigger have these but will have difficulty on trails etc due to size.  Even w/that the smaller is still close to a foot too long. I'll wait, seen these "it is xxx" too many times to say the thing is available NOW.

Intermediate Driver

I'll take mine with a 5.0, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, 37" tires and  7 speed manual (2022 model year options, I hope)

Off to the Rubicon for some rock crawling and fishing.  Cannot go this year so I can wait for the 2022 model.  Be safe out there! Aloha

Love it!

Passenger

Nice looking rig...but a little disappointing they don't offer a 5.0 for ol time sake

Passenger

The engine options seem inappropriate for the environment they appear to be marketing towards. Simple powerplants have always marked the most successful offroad capable vehicles because of the conditions offroading presents. I would be hesitant to take a turbo engine through a river or a mud bog. Too many electronics and ancillary systems that could fail. Maybe Ford has everything in tidy ziplocks for protection. But the simplicity of the 2.5 or 4.0 Jeep, or 4.5 Landcruiser, or even the smallblock Chevy makes them not only durable, but more easily repaired if something goes sideways on the trail. I love the 2.3 turbo SVO, but anyone that's owned one knows that they require more attention than naturally aspirated engines. I love the design, but of course most of these will never see the first gravel. I see visions of Land Rovers....

Passenger

Under powered, overall length to wheelbase suggests bad approach and departure angles, and why is a manual only available with the smaller engine? It’s cool looking (2 door), and I love the granny gear idea, but when you start adding bigger tires (and let’s face it, 35s are small in today’s off road circles) it’s going to be a dog off the line and have low torque for crawling. I also foresee many broken front drive shafts if you wheel it to hard. Love the concept, disappointed with the execution.

New Driver

Off road version looks like an IH Scout, minus the V8

New Driver

nice bro

New Driver

....looks like it either wants to be a Rover (like the Explorers are trying to resemble) or certainly a JEEP...to get some of that market share.  It's exciting to see Ford produce something like this instead of their usual modern day focus on electric, autonomous transportation pods...!

Pit Crew

"four on-road modes: Normal, Eco, Slippery and Sand, and Sport."--I thought it was the drivers talent that got him through the dirt, mud, snow and streams not some stupid switch.  Seems like a lot of electronics  for an off road vehicle, hope it survives the elements. I guess full frames and V8 engines are a thing of the past. Looks good though, hope it succeeds.   

New Driver

FOMOCO unable to produce H/P without forced induction. Would advise owners to buy plenty of extended service. 

Intermediate Driver

Ford just raised the bar. I'm sure Toyota will respond. Chevy is history even with the AEV connection but Jeep, WOW the new JL looks 20 years old. Watch the Ford Used Car Lots fill with Jeep JKs.

Intermediate Driver

I like that 2 door model! I used to work at the Ford plant up in Wayne MI, the little bronco's were always around as the security vehicles. I'm not ready to trade in my diesel ZR2 anytime soon though, as I need a truck more than an SUV. I had a 94 2 door explorer for many yrs, that really was an excellent 4 wd suv. I bet these new Bronco's are going to be hot!

Passenger

Only in a Jeep!  🙂

New Driver

To me they look like econo squirts. Look more like the Bronco II. I like the originals a lot more.  I am glad to see them making them smaller again and with a turbo v6.

Pit Crew

Sorry Ford. Looks like an Explorer and a Jeep had a baby. Dropped the ball yet again in the design department. First the Mach E, then the Mach 1 (really disappointed in that one!!) and now the Bronco. Could have been so much more.

Too bad....sigh..

Passenger

I'm kinda disappointed I was expecting more. Well it just saved me a ton of money.

Passenger

I'm kinda disappointed, I was expecting more. The good thing is don't have to buy one.

Passenger