cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Revealed: 2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport

Give Ford dual kudos: for reprising one of its most iconic nameplates and for equipping its 2021 “built wild” Broncos with the style and substance necessary to succeed in the fierce SUV arena. Riding on two different platforms and available in two- and four-door body styles, the new Bronco brand will be the eighth member of Ford’s rambling SUV/crossover household when it reaches showrooms at the end of this year. A standard 4×4 driveline underlines these new models’ off-road chops. Full price outlines haven’t been announced, but the base two-door Bronco will start at $29,995 including destination fees; a $100 deposit will hold your place in line a Bronco starting today.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/revealed-2021-ford-bronco-and-bronco-sport/

54 REPLIES 54
badhorsie
Passenger

Just like when the Explorer replaced the Bronco II, this Bronco should have replaced the Explorer. The car that took on the Explorer name should have been a replacement for the Ford Edge... Still glad to see the Bronco back though, only been waiting 24 years!

nsg24
Passenger

Still wish the Bronco would retain a solid axle front end as Jeep Wrangler has. Seems to have too much electronic gadgetry in the driveline area.

The prices might be lower for using more basic,  easily serviceable components like the original Bronco. 

Tim
Intermediate Driver

@nsg24, many very capable off-readers (Land Rover, etc.) do fine without a solid front axle. What they gain is far better on-road driving dynamics. The Bronco will be a better daily driver and match or exceed the Wrangler off-road.

Germanicus
Intermediate Driver

I am very curious how the Bronco Sport will be priced in the real world. I thought Ford was coming for that Subaru Crosstrek money, but Crosstrek pricing stops where the Bronco Sport starts. Will Ford make up the gap with generous incentives after the launch rush?

Hopefully the Bronco's independent front suspension translates to on-road manners that can give the 4Runner some competition, because Toyota needs it. All of the 4Runner's natural competitors from 20 years ago have disappeared, or become soft-roaders except for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. And the GC relies on air suspension to do what comes naturally to the 4Runner.

Grace
Hagerty Employee

These are really handsome vehicles. Excited to evaluate their real-world mettle and see how they stack against the competition.

Yossarian
New Driver

1.5L 3cylinder?   4cylinder 245hp?  Forget it...

Figuero
Pit Crew

My thoughts exactly.  Especially the 1.5L

Tacklenut
New Driver

You might have missed this part

"and a 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6 producing 310 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque"

jando
Passenger

Those are the engine choices only for the Sport.  The 2 & 4 door models have the larger engine options.

1967jvh
New Driver

Off road version looks like an IH Scout, minus the V8

Dnorton
New Driver

Under powered, overall length to wheelbase suggests bad approach and departure angles, and why is a manual only available with the smaller engine? It’s cool looking (2 door), and I love the granny gear idea, but when you start adding bigger tires (and let’s face it, 35s are small in today’s off road circles) it’s going to be a dog off the line and have low torque for crawling. I also foresee many broken front drive shafts if you wheel it to hard. Love the concept, disappointed with the execution.

Tacklenut
New Driver

Compare the axle locations to the Swiss military vehicle, Pinzgauer. You will notice the the approach angle is very similar to minimize impact before wheel contact. The departure angle is extremely good to avoid bumping it's butt on ascent.

Ford has been running experimental off road vehicles testing some of the equipment just for this Bronco. I think the engineers at Ford have taken into consideration axle strength to accommodate the larger wheels and tires. Jeep certainly didn't outfit their vehicles with 35's at the factory. Ford is rumored to be making a factory lift kit for the 37's.

Ford did well with the Raptor series for off road capability. I can't wait to see how this Bronco does. I'm already considering selling my TJ Wrangler to offset the cost of the two door Bronco.

I have an Eco Boost in my Expedition. That motor is very capable and full of torque.

I can't imagine 400lbs of torque being a dog off the line for a lighter vehicle such as this.

Tim
Intermediate Driver

Under powered? Compared to the Wrangler, which has less power? Or the old Bronco, which is down more than 70 hp and 40 lb./ft. from the base 4-cylinder motor and a massive 110 hp and 140 lb./ft. from the V6? 

Not sure why you think 35s are small. Real off-roading has been done for years on smaller tires. I've done level-4 trails in Moab with 33s on a Wrangler--a far less capable setup than the Sasquatch Bronco. That's one great thing about off-road SUVs like these--they get so many people thinking they need more than they actually do, as they imagine themselves conquering the Baja 1000 or the Rubicon trail when most never even get close.

CJinSD
Detailer

The Bronco Sport should satiate the needs of former Land Rover Freelander drivers who've almost recovered financially from trying to keep them going.  The Bronco answers the question of what the International Scout would look like today had it remained in production without a better new idea for the past 40 years, as has occurred with the Porsche '911.' 

The Jeep Wrangler is apparently going to get a V8 to respond to the Bronco. If Fiat is smart about it, they'll offer the basic 5.7 as an option in every model instead of putting the SRT6.4 in some special edition. If they do offer the 5.7 for under $40K, the Bronco will be over before it starts.

Germanicus
Intermediate Driver

While FCA generally gives the people what they want, it feels like the V8 Wrangler has been locked behind a pane of glass that says "In Case Of Emergency Drive Through Glass." FCA can do cheap and fast, but I would not expect a V8 Wrangler to be cheap. The Wrangler configurator today takes inspiration from the Porsche one in how easy it is to make the Net Price number go up.
MustangJim305
Passenger

Not if Ford offers the Gen III 5.0L Coyote engine in the Bronco. . .

First

On

Race

Day 

#Bronco

Bill
Intermediate Driver

A V8 in a Wrangler, thats been the bait for 30 years, its never going to happen. Maybe in the JT but never in the JL.

Tim
Intermediate Driver

Don't hold your breath for a V8 Jeep priced under $50K. It's going to be a halo model, and will likely easily pass $60K when even modestly optioned. 

As well-thought as these vehicles are, the Bronco models are bringing much-needed competition to Jeep. FCA (and it's precursors all the way back to AMC) have been slow to improve the Jeep for far too long. It looks like Ford asked every Jeep owner what they would want improved and did it. Maybe now Jeep will start to fill those long-overdue wish lists. Healthy competition is good, the same way the big three make full-size trucks better.

rhchapinca
Passenger

They're a good looking vehicle for sure. BEFORE I would buy one I'd look into the paint issues. I've owned two new Fords (2002 Crown Vic, 2016 Explorer) and can't justify buying another one. 

jayj
Passenger

The engine options seem inappropriate for the environment they appear to be marketing towards. Simple powerplants have always marked the most successful offroad capable vehicles because of the conditions offroading presents. I would be hesitant to take a turbo engine through a river or a mud bog. Too many electronics and ancillary systems that could fail. Maybe Ford has everything in tidy ziplocks for protection. But the simplicity of the 2.5 or 4.0 Jeep, or 4.5 Landcruiser, or even the smallblock Chevy makes them not only durable, but more easily repaired if something goes sideways on the trail. I love the 2.3 turbo SVO, but anyone that's owned one knows that they require more attention than naturally aspirated engines. I love the design, but of course most of these will never see the first gravel. I see visions of Land Rovers....

MrKnowItAll
Intermediate Driver

I missed the “advertisement” disclaimer at the top of the story

edddurst-gmail
New Driver

I just received a video from Motor Trend and they say only two engines for both, the 2.0L and a dual turbo 6. And a 6+1 standard which is a 6 speed with a "low-low" for off road.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/mt-exclusive-a-super-secret-early-look-at-the-2021-ford-br...

Tim
Intermediate Driver

The Bronco uses the 2.3 I-4 or the 2.7 6-cyl. The Sport uses the 1.5 or 2.0 4-cyl engines from the Escape.

cericks66
Passenger

Nice looking rig...but a little disappointing they don't offer a 5.0 for ol time sake

Tacklenut
New Driver

The 5.7 engine that Fiat is contemplating putting in the Wrangler weighs over 500lbs and makes about the same HP and Torque as the larger 2.7 Eco Boost. The Eco Boost for the Bronco is around 400 lbs.
I don't see this putting the Bronco out of business. I would imagine the fuel economy is going to be better with the Bronco as well.

5.7L Hemi V-8 Specs (Truck Models)
Engine: Chrysler 5.7L Hemi V-8

2009 - current Ram 2500/3500383 hp @ 5,600 rpm
2013 - current Ram 1500395 hp @ ,5600 rpm
Peak Torque:2003 - 2008 Ram 1500/2500/3500375 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm
Pineapple
Passenger

I'll take mine with a 5.0, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, 37" tires and  7 speed manual (2022 model year options, I hope)

Off to the Rubicon for some rock crawling and fishing.  Cannot go this year so I can wait for the 2022 model.  Be safe out there! Aloha

Love it!

Al2
Passenger

👍🏻👍🏻

chrlsful
Detailer

Too bad the smaller WB is monocoque and not the transfer case, 11 inch ground clearance $ w/o the other goods on the bigger.  The bigger have these but will have difficulty on trails etc due to size.  Even w/that the smaller is still close to a foot too long. I'll wait, seen these "it is xxx" too many times to say the thing is available NOW.

Maestro1
Detailer

It's atrocious.

DRC
Passenger

I'm kinda disappointed, I was expecting more. The good thing is don't have to buy one.

DRC
Passenger

I'm kinda disappointed I was expecting more. Well it just saved me a ton of money.

Ken
Passenger

The only thing missing is to have the small v-8 as an option.

imavettin
Passenger

NEEDS A V8 WITH A STICK

Pineapple
Passenger

Don't forget the solid front axle...

Pepperalls
Detailer

Same platform as Escape but different wrapper is a win... everything else is same body as Escape on each brand's individual platform. This segment was greatly in need of some things that look different.

Kind of holds true in the large SUV segments too, you either look the same or are Jeep (and in some cases the Jeeps look the same but have that grill treatment).

I hope Ford succeeds with this and we get more variety moving forward. How about a big Blazer that looks and acts like a Blazer from GM? Bring back the Suzuki SUV family to North America while we are at it.

Steves70mach1
Passenger

Sorry Ford. Looks like an Explorer and a Jeep had a baby. Dropped the ball yet again in the design department. First the Mach E, then the Mach 1 (really disappointed in that one!!) and now the Bronco. Could have been so much more.

Too bad....sigh..

hrddto
Passenger

Nice, but I'll stay with my CJ7 Jeep with the rumbling V8

bemrfst
Pit Crew

To me they look like econo squirts. Look more like the Bronco II. I like the originals a lot more.  I am glad to see them making them smaller again and with a turbo v6.

bemrfst
Pit Crew

They look better on the motor trend vid but still could look meaner. May have to see them in real to tell....

OldMoparMan
New Driver

Only in a Jeep!  🙂

desertdweller
New Driver

I like that 2 door model! I used to work at the Ford plant up in Wayne MI, the little bronco's were always around as the security vehicles. I'm not ready to trade in my diesel ZR2 anytime soon though, as I need a truck more than an SUV. I had a 94 2 door explorer for many yrs, that really was an excellent 4 wd suv. I bet these new Bronco's are going to be hot!

Bill
Intermediate Driver

Ford just raised the bar. I'm sure Toyota will respond. Chevy is history even with the AEV connection but Jeep, WOW the new JL looks 20 years old. Watch the Ford Used Car Lots fill with Jeep JKs.

Bill
Intermediate Driver

The big story is how the Bronco outperforms the Wrangler. Bronco 94:1 Crawl Ratio, Rubicon 73:1. Bronco 35s from the factory. Wrangler, you need a lift, new wheels plus you end up wasting the factory rubber. Take off the Bronco doors and they store in the back. Wrangler doors???? 

Ford if they can deliver will steal half the Wrangler sales.

oldmustangs49
Pit Crew

Seems like a nice package until you get to 3 cylinder or 2.0. That's supposed to be off-road fun? Where's the V8? I wish they would have left the Bronco name alone and called it something like the Escape II.

Dave404
Intermediate Driver

What no diesel? What were they thinking?

Rider79
Detailer

Of the future - light-duty diesels belong to the past, certain half-ton and midsize pickups notwithstanding.

Dave404
Intermediate Driver

Well I guess you're not up to speed on today's clean diesel technology. Diesels are now near zero emissions, way cleaner than a dirty gas engine. Then there is tons of low rpm torque and unheard of mileage as well as superior durability. Everything heavy duty is diesel. If Ford can't offer a diesel then they are presenting a weak offering for unknowledgable consumers which is how they like it.

batcaveal
Passenger

I have had them all--jeeps,broncos---have a 1973 bronco currently with a 302 V-8. No matter what the specs say--- I would'nt trade the 302 for any of the turbo V-6s---why do they think Jeep has a huge aftermarket demand for V-8 swap kits? Like the add goes-'' I could have had a V8''. IMO often durability is related to simplicity.

OldRoad
Intermediate Driver

FOMOCO unable to produce H/P without forced induction. Would advise owners to buy plenty of extended service.