cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Reflections on vintage auto glass

My friend Bob Huber, the Lamborghini restorer, texted me recently. He wanted a picture of the corner of the windshield of my Espada because he's having some windshields made and he wants to get the factory etching right. He wondered if the glass on my 1970 model was marked with a DOT stamp.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/reflections-on-vintage-auto-glass/
42 REPLIES 42
audiobycarmine
Technician

“If China invades Taiwan, it will shut the whole WORLD down".
The Belligerati just can't stop, can they?
FloridaMarty
Instructor

Just another story, that should remind us of how fragile our import dependence really is. I hope the situation changes one day, but I doubt it will. Will we ever learn? I used to joke with family and friends that "if China ever closed down, what will we do?" I hoped I'd never see the day, but here we are.

Punk
Instructor

The business model that has worked so well for decades of subcontract to the lowest bidder and then get things 'just in time' so you don't have to pay to store anything, is collapsing.
autowriter
Advanced Driver

It was a good idea just so long as everything went perfectly and predictably. But Nature(tm) sides with the hidden flaw. Corollary 1: It will not remain hidden forever. Corollary 2: It will reveal itself at the least convenient time.
zappafanx
Intermediate Driver

The quest for the almighty buck, I’m afraid, has just about doomed our once great country. I never even imagined that so much of our medicines were made in China and India.
OHCOddball
Advanced Driver

If you are replacing glass on a car with new, I don't think it should be marked as if it was original. Original glass had to pass certain testing for it to have certain marks. Also, why are we importing glass from foreign sources? Make the stuff here! Same for everything else that is vital for our national interest. Can you imagine how WW II would have turned out if all our supplies were reliant on foreign supply chains? Take a page from China>>if you want to sell it here, make it here.
autowriter
Advanced Driver

When I needed a new windshield for my 1966 Corvair Corsa convertible, I spoke with the company that makes the reproductions. They asked what the build date was for my car, and I told them 10/65. They said for an extra $65, they would not put their own logo on the lower right corner, and would instead put a proper LOF indicia with a code that said the windshield was made in 9/65. It arrived by freight in good condition and as promised. Correct with proper tint.
61Rampy
Instructor

I also think that the windshield thickness changed from 65 to 66, which then stayed the same thru 69. I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember putting a 65 windshield in my 66 Corsa, and finding that the window trim was quite a bit away from the glass.
Timbo
Detailer

I want to know about the glass in the SR-71 behind the car.
cslandry
Intermediate Driver

That would be quartz, ultrasonically welded to the titanium frame. Can't get THAT at your local glass shop!
RP
Intermediate Driver

The picture was taken near Sacramento
240Zpilot
New Driver

Looks more like Pima Air Museum outside of Tucson to me...
Brent1
New Driver

Nope, not Pima. Just came from there and their SR71 is inside.

terra-incognita
Intermediate Driver

Edwards Air Force Base - AF Test Flight Museum.
34.912454, -117.920508
Google Maps > https://goo.gl/maps/DhGTBedMmkEbqXSU6
terra-incognita
Intermediate Driver

2016MCG-IMG_9264-096.jpg

EAFB

fotogmike
Detailer

Since the article mentions a glass shop in Riverside, California, I would guess this Blackbird is at the March Field Museum. Two other possibilities are somewhat near there. Check this list:
https://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/locations.php#california
SJ
Technician

Yep looks like March Field Museum.
SJ
Technician

Oops there's is inside.
Quadrifoglio
Pit Crew

South Africa has a thriving auto glass industry.

It is a wonder if companies will learn and bring production to either the US or Latin America. Waiting for stuff to come from Asia is killing supply.
Tinkerah
Engineer

Not as long as they can still get it cheaper from elsewhere. These days, the mere promise of cheaper from elsewhere is enough, delays be damned.

CJinSD
Instructor

The EPA is as big of a driver of offshore production as labor costs.
RickL
Advanced Driver

Remember when we led the world in production. It really wasn't that long ago when a President said, "Those jobs are going away and won't be back"...Now, we have another president that is going to open up the defense production act to get more solar panels from...CHINA. That will show them that America is Back!!!!!

We have an energy crisis/inflation issue and do they do anything to increase supply to provide relief at the pump?  No, they wave tariffs on solar panels because we all know that is going to solve the pain at the pump.  (sarcasm)  They do not care about us.  They only care about shoving ideology and "green policies" down everyone's throat.  Forget the whole solar panels saving the planet thing for a second, but why not do what you can to increase production domestically rather than give the money to a communist regime?  There is no logic to anything.

Fuel is literally affecting the cost of everything at the minimum because the price of shipping has doubled.  Until we tackle the root of the issue, nothing will get better.

TransAm-forever
Intermediate Driver

The root of the issue is the loss of crude oil refining capacity. In regions that have been most affected by refining capacity losses—such as the U.S. West Coast and Mid-Atlantic—the loss of local petroleum fuel production is contributing to higher prices and affecting regional demand for imports of gasoline, diesel and jet fuel from the global market. Because of infrastructure limitations and an uncompetitive shipping environment, economic access to domestic crude oil and refined products is limited.
After more than two decades of growth in which the United States became the world’s largest refiner by volume, the US industry has contracted. We’ve lost 1.1 million barrels of daily refining capacity over the course of the global pandemic with at least seven facilities shuttering, closing units or beginning the transition away from petroleum processing.
Refining capacity matters as much as crude oil supply.
uweschmidt
Instructor

here in Bc Canada we have a man with the means and the plan to built a complete Refinery with all his own Money but he can"t get a permit to do that oil and casoline and disel does not come from crude it comes from deals that polititions make

ZOOOOMZ
New Driver

The "root of the issue" is not capacity. America has as much extraction, transportation, and refining capacity now as it ever has. The U.S. Oil Industry has chosen to adjust production levels according to demand, but capacity has not been lost, only throttled. 
The root cause of today's high gas and oil prices is the failed policy of Energy Independence. This policy removed competition from the U.S. oil market, so that U.S. producers can charge any price they want. U.S. oil companies are raising prices at the pump in order to keep their topline revenues growing in spite of reduced demand, first due to the pandemic, and now, even though demand has kept growing, prices continue to rise, so that U.S. oil companies can keep their profit growth curves positive.
No one has 'shuttered' any extraction or refining capacity except the U.S. producers themselves, to adjust to reduced demand during the pandemic. Reducing operational costs allowed them to maintain profits in spite of declining demand by increasing prices. Now, with demand increasing, they can bring capacity online, but prices continue to rise - why do you suppose that is? Because, without competition from foreign suppliers, U.S. oil companies are free to charge whatever they want.

CJinSD
Instructor

I thought the China shills were disingenuous, but you've taken the cake. Energy independence worked fine before global fascism retook the white house. Ever since then, every policy change has increased our dependence on an unstable global supply chain. Markets are forward looking, so of course they will only price for greater adversity until there is reason to believe that leadership isn't trying to force people out of their cars, varied diets, and heated homes.
TransAm-forever
Intermediate Driver

I don't know where you got your un-informed information from but mine was directly from the API and they ought to know what facilities have been shuttered, what hasn't and how difficult it is to re-start those facilities ( hint - very).

TransAm-forever
Intermediate Driver

Let's not make this a political thing. Tackle the root of the issue.
Inline8OD
Technician

Right. G seems to overlook the rapacity of the oil companies, thinking them beyond reproach. The sneer at solar energy seems out of place, too. Spain and even cloudy Germany are ahead of us in solar energy. Those of us wanting some gas for our occasionally driven special cars should welcome anything ensuring a future supply, not become sidetracked in us/them finger pointing, buck-passing.
Smileamile
Intermediate Driver

If you ever get near Watkins Glen in New York, take the time to visit the glass museum at Corning. This is one of the most interesting museums I’ve ever been to. The history of glass, especially Corning glass, is fascinating. They make the windshields for aircraft and space rockets (maybe including the Blackbird?!). Excellent tour!
DMcC
Detailer

Good to know - thanks. Off topic a bit - the super sonic, passenger aircraft under development in Denver; co name is Boom, would not have windows. Visibility will be via screens the pilots will use.
Inline8OD
Technician

Articles like Aaron Robinson's above, and those by Don Sherman, are where Hagerty excels. Thanks for this heretofore overlooked information on something we take for granted. More features like this, and please leave the auction house press releases to Kiplinger's and the Wall Street Journal Weekend Edition.
SAG
Technician

Thats just Wrong.
If some one has a "Original 'still in the crate' windshield"
_the copy shouldn't be allowed with "Correct info" from factory production runs.
I have a "factory Windshield still in the crate" [not disclosing application].
I would hate to be "CONNED" on a purchase for one, for my Euro collection.
SAG
Technician

I was a Concourse judge.
I never binged anyone on windshields.
Old Italian cars have a tendency to 'delaminate'.
I know they paid a premium to replace it.
LamboEd
Detailer

Love the Espada, I always have! I have not driven one, but I have gotten a ride in one, great car! I am not a big fan of green, but this shade looks great on the Espada!!!
Camarojoe
Detailer

I use to work just outside of Pittsburgh in the 80ties.Back than there was a big PPG facility making automotive glass. Not sure what happened to that plant but again when the US gives up base material production it is really hard to recover.
For this article not a big deal for any Lambo, the market place says if you can afford one, you better be able to pay the price for maintenance. The line about the 49 Buick glass piece going from $75 to maybe $700 it what hits hard. Agree with the general sentiment of others here, China is not our friend and if they do something stupid with Taiwan we will all see what real inflation is.
audiobycarmine
Technician

Dear Dons-Coupe;

Human “governments” are always in a state of flux.
As we are a fickle and foolish species, it’s to be expected that a hearty number of us are uninformed — indeed, far too many are, by their OWN CHOICE — misinformed.

To equate the country of Taiwan with renegade “provinceship” is not only wrong; it tells everything about you.

For you to also say that California and Quebec need “tuneups” is the height of ignorance. So violence is what’s needed? I know law-enforcement parlance.

The United States itself was a rebellious colony, and most, if not all of these states had to fight for independence from other countries as well.
According to you, the British were “invading themselves” in the 1770’s...
I hope you are not a citizen of the U.S. In all honesty, you sound exactly like someone from China sounds.

Me — I still have difficulty with “our Country” being founded upon wholesale property theft and human slavery.

“Propaganda” is where we subscribe to it.

Now — about the ARTICLE... Aaron: thanks for an informative and cautionary piece.
Inline8OD
Technician

Profound thanks, AudioByCarmine. A little general historical overview helps keep automotive developments in perspective. Always comical when those like Dons-Coupe use code speak to foment bigotry, xenophobia, us/them division, but are the first to whine about such forums as this not being the place for "politics."

Anyone with a grasp of motoring history knows there is no such divide.

Perhaps Dons Coupe would like to run for office, see if he can better manage the world's fifth biggest economy (California), or a sprawling, increasingly diverse realm like Quebec,  instead of sniping at those putting it on the line, day in, day out, surrendering their private lives;  trying against all odds.  Our advice to such Monday morning quarterbacks remains, "If you don't like the news, make some of your own."

Thanks again, sir.

2004JAGxj8
Intermediate Driver

Just another reason that a huge push is needed to divest away from single suppliers. Some enterprising individual could certainly start up a glass operation in this country. Or least in a country that is not trying to do us harm or limit supply.
hyperv6
Collector

You know in many cases anymore just getting glass to fit the car in many cases is a win codes or not.

I bought replacement side glass for my Pontiac when it became available again as I know it was a small run and will vanish fast.

My TTop glass is impossible to find new so I put back a NOS set as one drop I lose a roof.

Glass is an odd thing with many as I judge many shows and so many will restore an entire car but not put in new side glass to replace the damage glass. I could understand in sone cars but Mustangs and Camaros have cheap easy to find glass.

Folks replace this glass.

Might note my side windows came from Toledo the Glass city. Yes they still make some glass there.