cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redford’s “Great Gatsby” Rolls could be yours—just don’t let Daisy drive it

Whether or not you think F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel is better than the four movie and TV adaptations that followed, the star car in Francis Ford Coppola’s film version of The Great Gatsby is likely more magnificent than anything the author could have imagined ...

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/redfords-great-gatsby-rolls-could-be-yours-just-dont-let-dais...

Replies (4)

Replies (4)

Great article. Ted Leonard was a longtime Volvo dealer in Seekonk, Massachusetts. ("Seekonk," btw, is a Native American onomatopoeia for "geese," as in see-KONK!) In Leonard's showroom in the early 1980s there was a vintage Rolls that had a manniquin of Woodrow Wilson. There was a card stating that a bunch of Princeton alumni had bought the car for Wilson. But I assume that was a different car.

My personal opinion is that whoever cast Robert Redford as Gatsby had not bothered to read the book. Gee, what was "Gatsby" 's surname, before he Anglicized it? Hint: GATZ. And why do you think that the Jewish mobster Meyer Wolfshiem told Nick that he (Meyer) and Gatsby had a "connegtion"?

ciao,

john marks

New Driver

Thanks for the thumbs-ups.

I have to make a clarification or two. Fitzgerald’s original spelling of the Jewish mobster’s name was “Wolfsheim,” and so some editions and critics go with that. The second edition and on use “Wolfshiem.” So doing web searches can be hit-or-miss. Also, Fitzgerald’s rendering of Meyer Wolfshiem’s word was “gonnegtion” starting with a ‘c’ and not a ‘g.’ Also, my memory failed me; what Wolfshiem said about Gatsby was:

“I raised him up out of nothing, right out of the gutter. I saw right away he was a fine appearing, gentlemanly young man, and when he told me he was an Oggsford I knew I could use him good. I got him to join up in the American Legion and he used to stand high there. Right off he did some work for a client of mine up to Albany. We were so thick like that in everything—“ He held up two bulbous fingers —”always together.”

But, in any case, I think that Wolfshiem considered Gatsby a surrogate son, and also very useful in his being able to operate within WASP society.

Speaking of which, I had always viewed Tom Buchanan’s apocalyptic racist rant as only that. But I just skimmed the abstract of an academic article that suggested that Daisy’s girlhood friend Jordan Baker was a light-skinned African-American who was “passing” in white society. She’s the only character in the novel whose skin tone is repeatedly noted.

Fascinating, I say.

jm

New Driver

Man, what an absolutely gorgeous car! It is certainly an element of "the stuff that Dreams are made of."

I'd forgotten that Coppola directed it. 

Daisy's driving aside (pun intended,) poor Karen Black never seemed to catch a break in so many films. I, for one, miss her. 

Intermediate Driver

You say "Fitzgerald couldn’t have possibly known the magnificence of the 1928 Rolls-Royce." The 1922 touring model is more magnificent and does indeed have four more windscreens and various storage boxes. See one here - https://www.prewarcar.com/288618-1922-rolls-royce-silver-ghost-open-tourer-by-grosvenor

Pit Crew