cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rare unrestored ’Cuda convertible wears its age proudly

When it comes to muscle cars—Mopar muscle cars in particular—engine and color options can make all the difference in the world. Of course, the condition is still paramount, and this 1971 ’Cuda convertible, available at Mecum’s Indy 2020 auction in July, offers a unique look, thanks to its unrestored bodywork.

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/rare-unrestored-cuda-convertible-wears-its-age-prou...

Replies (10)

Replies (10)

I always laugh when I see the comment that paint and bodywork are only original once. Unless this car was on the showroom floor with faded, rusted paint and dented body work the body is not in original condition.

Intermediate Driver

So the UV-sensitive flat black billboards, scoop, and wing are in great condition. Yet most of the original paint has been burned away by the sun. Then strategically touched up with rattle-can Allis-Chalmers orange. 

It just doesn't add up ... patina my A$$.

Pit Crew

There was Led Zep II, but either would have required an 8-track for real appreciation.  Radio cuts were not enough.

Intermediate Driver

I recently sold my unrestored, original paint, numbers-matching 1971 Dodge Superbee with factory N96 Ramcharger hood and hideaway headlights (both in working condition) to a classic dealer out of Denver.  No engine rebuild, every panel dented or with rust, and it still wore it's original front chin spoiler.  I never should have sold the car, but I knew I wouldn't have the time in the near future to give it what it needed.  It ran and drove down the highway at 80 mph just fine, although the 727 was starting to slip pretty bad.  That was only about 6 months ago, and then I see the car in the next issue of AutaBuy marked up $10k with no notable changes to the car.  Oh well.

Pit Crew

SO funny!!! Convenient marketing technique that sells well!! P.T. Barnum opined something applicable here.... How about this famous quote "I'll paint ANY car for only $39.95" billboards, chrome and glass included...

Intermediate Driver

The body and paint are original. The condition is not.

Pit Crew

Where's Joe Dirt?

New Driver

Induction "roar" not "road"... (second try)

Passenger

Induction "roar" not road...

Passenger

Is it just me, or do the billboards look like they were recently applied over top of the original finish?  

Passenger